The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Sound system for the Boss302

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hey how’s it going everybody, I been looking to upgrade my Boss 302’s sound system but not over done or to go crazy expensive on it, also don’t need a nav or touchscreen would like to keep the stock look on the inside if possible. Any recommendations

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
Upgrading a sound system is a bit subjective. It’s kind of like saying “I want more power”. What is more?
If you are looking to clean up the sound, make it easier to listen to. A set of speakers is a good start. I pulled the stock speakers and put in a set of pioneers. The change was noticeable and not expensive.
How great do you want it to sound?? How much mo money you got???

Upgrading the speakers in the front doors is a big step forward. I installed some $90 Pioneer speakers and it was a noticeable improvement. Like @TMSBOSS many of us upgraded the speakers when we first bought our cars.

TymeSlayer

Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
I went with Pioneer as well (TSD6802R) for both doors and rear deck. You will like the sound. I also changed the head unit to a Pioneer with GPS but that was before I got bitten by the track bug. I can't honestly tell you the last tyme I turned it on.

Last edited:
Upgrading a sound system is a bit subjective. It’s kind of like saying “I want more power”. What is more?
If you are looking to clean up the sound, make it easier to listen to. A set of speakers is a good start. I pulled the stock speakers and put in a set of pioneers. The change was noticeable and not expensive.
How great do you want it to sound?? How much mo money you got???
Well I don’t mind investing a few hundred, I’ll start with some speakers which ones did you pick up, then I’ll go from there

ChrisM

Mostly harmless.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
South Carolina
I'd start with brake pads, fluid, and brake cooling ducts...no that's not right...

Drive it stock and listen to your instructor? Dang...still not right...

Rip them out for weight savings? I'm not very good at this.

I guess I don't understand the question. I jest. All in good fun ;)

My plan is to use the dash kit below and install a double din with idatalink capability. The idatalink taps into the factory harness and will allow you to display additional gauges on the receiver screen. So not only will I get Carplay for the iphone, but i get better tunes and additional gauges for the days on the track. The climate control though, will now be done through the stereo. The dash kit gets rid of the knobs and buttons currently used for climate control. I'm a manual kind of guy and prefer knobs and buttons, but this provides the cleanest installation I've seen. I probably won't get around to it until Nov-Dec timeframe.

Dash kit. Also provides two usb charging ports.
https://www.amazon.com/Maestro-KIT-MUS1-T-Harness-2010-2014-Navigation/dp/B00FEIDS1Q

Receiver. This also supports wireless carplay.
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_500ILX207/Alpine-ILX-207.html?tp=72357

I'd start with brake pads, fluid, and brake cooling ducts...no that's not right...

Drive it stock and listen to your instructor? Dang...still not right...

Rip them out for weight savings? I'm not very good at this.

I guess I don't understand the question. I jest. All in good fun ;)

Lmao

NJ
Late to the party here, but a trunk sub (JL Audio, Kicker, etc) and dedicated sub amp will make the biggest improvement overall and be removable for track days. Tie into the rear speakers for a signal and use something like an Audio Control LC2i to provide a proper line level sub output. Then upgrade the door speakers with anything decent depending on your budget. Anything else will get much more involved and/or provide less improvement for the money spent.

TMO Supporting Vendors