The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Sound the alarms, the new Z/28 is coming!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

And it looks pretty bad ass too. They are getting serious with the downforce and those tires looks HUGE! I hope they keep it normally aspirated but most likely it will have a Z06 SC engine. What a great time to be a car guy. 8)

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1103895_2018-chevrolet-camaro-z-28-spy-shots

y-shots--image-via-s-baldauf-sb-medien_100554138_m.jpg
y-shots--image-via-s-baldauf-sb-medien_100554141_m.jpg
y-shots--image-via-s-baldauf-sb-medien_100554143_m.jpg

Ford has won the hearts of fanbois, purists and journalists with the GT350. Even if the Z/28 ends up being much faster, I don't think Ford is sweating it too much, no slow down with GT350 sales.

Will be interesting if chevy sticks with an NA motor or slaps the LT4 in this. If its the LT1 Im failing to see much delta between the LE package and the Z28, would almost seem like the delta between the GT350 and GT350R minus having a sweet motor that puts it well above the SS trim. If they slap the LT4 in there, seems like there would be a lot of overlap with the ZL1. The LS7 is what made the 5th gen Z/28 stand out, so will be interesting what chevy has something similar to offer.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Massive rolling stock for that chassis. Should be fast, VERY fast with the right driver. Don't care for the looks of the latest Camaro, but I'm not buying one anyways.

I look forward to the release info on the new "GT500" or equivalent. The timing is about right. Even if the info is just a teaser to gauge interest. Doesn't matter to me if they call it GT500, Mach1 or any other name they come up with. Also would not surprise me if horsepower was through the roof 800 plus. Carol Shelby always wanted to produce a street car in excess of 1,000 HP.
Car prices have reached the point where we don't blink at $70,000.00 for a Mustang.
The next Mustang to escape the coral needs to put some distance between Ford & GM.

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
krt22 said:
Ford has won the hearts of fanbois, purists and journalists with the GT350. Even if the Z/28 ends up being much faster, I don't think Ford is sweating it too much, no slow down with GT350 sales.

Will be interesting if chevy sticks with an NA motor or slaps the LT4 in this. If its the LT1 Im failing to see much delta between the LE package and the Z28, would almost seem like the delta between the GT350 and GT350R minus having a sweet motor that puts it well above the SS trim. If they slap the LT4 in there, seems like there would be a lot of overlap with the ZL1. The LS7 is what made the 5th gen Z/28 stand out, so will be interesting what chevy has something similar to offer.

I think you're spot on about the engine choice making or breaking the new Z28. I have to admit, that for me it was the 427 C.I.D engine that made the Z/28 interesting.

The new Z/28 would be very competitive with the current 427 N/A engine, as it Dynos at about the same HP as the Voodoo but delivers about 100 Lbs/Ft TQ. Combine this with a much lighter yet stiffer chassis, and the new Z could be very competitive. The Voodoo's big advantage is it's rev range, which makes it pretty explosive at corner exit.

I also think that Ford really threw curve ball at GM with the 5.2L FPC DOHC engine that makes power to 8,000 RPM! It still amazes me that Ford accomplished the impossible with this FPC engine. Makes one proud to be a Ford fan.

Yes, 2017 is shaping up to be an interesting year for Detroit performance cars. I also wonder if 2017 or if 2018 will be the pinicale year for Detroit muscle before the steep increases in CAFE and other government mandates kick in for electric car production, etc.

These are indeed the "Good Ole Days" of Detroit muscle and performance cars.

Enjoy your ride,
302 Hi Pro

The only thing that is Camaro about the new Camaro is the skin. The chassis is a Cadillac and the engine is corvette. The mustang is all mustang. Period. The GT350 will always now and forever be a special car and unique. The Camaro is nothing. Even today magazine and writers are still raving and writing about the GT350.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
I thank GM for the competition. Without the last Z/28, I don't think the GT350R would be as good as it is...or as track focused.

Raising the bar is a good thing. 8) Even if it's gonna cost me more money in the end! ::)

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Here's another interesting video of the Z/28 testing...looks like Chevy is aiming to match the Mustang's recent legacy at car shows:

https://www.facebook.com/Yolodouchebag/videos/525394917645819/?pnref=story

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
In slow motion you can clearly see the left side rear brake begins to lock up, then smoke from behind the rear of the Z, as if from the right side rear too.

You can see the driver react and counter steer, but to no avail as he/she applies the brakes and the fronts lock up. At time of impact the front wheels are full counter steer, (left), but had no effect on the slide recovery attempt.

Maybe it was a nannies failure that applied full rear brake as the car rotated out of the prior right hand turn as the left rear brake seemed to apply itself first.

Shame to see anyone crash on track.

302HP

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel