The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Sound Tube delete

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

http://www.cooltechllc.com/Boss/Boss_SPD_Kit.shtml

Got my kit fast, thanks to Cool Tech (Kendall)

Took me 30 seconds to remove the old tube, two seconds to pop in the firewall plug and how fast you can tighten a clamp for the rest. For the guys that do not do their own work, don't worry you can do it your self with a 10 MM socket and screwdriver.

For the sound, not too much different. In a way I like it since you can hear the motor better for real not the way it sounds in a tube, if that makes sense. I can also hear the exhaust note a little better (7/8 discs). It is not a grand difference but the whole point is cleaning up the engine compartment anyway.

Old pipe and pipe out

CIMG2485.jpg
CIMG2486.png
CIMG2487.png
CIMG2488.png

Connection points bare and with Kendall's kit installed. The last is a newer clean look :D

CIMG2489.jpg
CIMG2490.png
CIMG2491.png
CIMG2492.jpg
CIMG2493.jpg

2012YellowBoss said:
Don't know the size but for the price of Kendall's kit it is not worth the time and gas driving around and looking for the right sizes, JMHO.
+1.

ace72ace

Zaino, I put that $hit on everything
2012YellowBoss said:
Don't know the size but for the price of Kendall's kit it is not worth the time and gas driving around and looking for the right sizes, JMHO.

Sounds like a challenge, I like that. Lowe's is 2 miles from my front door, it's worth a shot.

DigiCowboy said:
mustang920 said:
hey cowboy did have to get a tune when you instaled airaid cai id like to i ordered the same thing should be getting it this week takes longer to ship to canada.

No tune required. It is a fairly easy install, just be careful pushing the aluminum fitting for the cranckase vent hose in. I had to lube it a little because it is a very tight fit.

Do you use Track Key with your Airaid?

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
5 DOT 0 said:
The Airaid has a sleeve to reduce the air intake to the same as the stock CAI. Rumor is that it works fine with TK. ;) When you're ready for a tune you remove the sleeve.

Doh !

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
ace72ace said:
2012YellowBoss said:

Sounds like a challenge, I like that. Lowe's is 2 miles from my front door, it's worth a shot.
Nice if you get what you need let me know as I go to lowes all the time wouldnt be anything to pick it up the next time I am out. And I get a 10% military discount there :)

5 DOT 0 said:
ford20 said:
Do you use Track Key with your Airaid?
The Airaid has a sleeve to reduce the air intake to the same as the stock CAI. Rumor is that it works fine with TK. ;) When you're ready for a tune you remove the sleeve.

Thats my thinking, same MAF just basically replacing the tube. Should work fine, if not then Lund Ghost Tune with a 2 step will be going into the Boss lol

Good luck at Lowes, and Home Depot also. I tried to find a cap wiith no luck. I had to go to an industrial supply place to find the proper size cap, which I believe will be 1 1/2 inch ID. And don't think a 1 1/2 inch PVC rubber pipe cap will work either, as that is about 2' ID

Lowes & Advance Auto for the intake plug & firewall gasket.
What I did for mine, except I had a plug I found around the house. Used the same brake gasket.
http://forums.themustangsource.com/f800/sound-tube-delete-parts-list-503349/

ace72ace

After hearing from a fellow Boss owner who shopped around for all the separate parts you get in the Cooltech kit, I threw in the towel and got the kit. Glad I did! Check my oil at every fill up and that tube is in the way! Not after today! ;)

IMG_1205.png
IMG_1206.jpg
IMG_1207.jpg

ace72ace

How much was it? I have the Cooltech grommet, but the opening is 3/4" but the cable and wire loom I will run through it is only 1/2". I could get this other part and then create my own 1/2" hole for a snug fit.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
ace72ace said:
How much was it? I have the Cooltech grommet, but the opening is 3/4" but the cable and wire loom I will run through it is only 1/2". I could get this other part and then create my own 1/2" hole for a snug fit.
it was 6 bucks ish

ace72ace

Hmmm, maybe just a few winds of elect tape around the loom to provide a snug fit. Or some black silicone if I want to seal it up better than the tape. Above all I want a factory look, which is why I went with the black 1/2" loom.

I think it's funny how one minute we claim to love driving our cars so much, we will look for every opportunity to run go get a carton of milk or whatever, but if we need to find a part for a DIY project, oh noes...the gas! There are worse things than driving to Lowe's, people. :p

As it happens, I am temporarily broke, so I have been looking for opportunities to do things with my car that don't cost much money. I also enjoy the challenge of finding new and different solutions.

cap_1200.jpg

P1010944_1200.jpg

The hard cap press-fits nicely over the intake barb. I do not think there is any chance that it could come loose. If it does, I will use a Dremel tool to cut notches inside, so that the cap "clicks" onto the barb. I'll report back if I have to do that. Anyway, it looks a little bit clunky, but I prefer how it looks over a soft cap and hose clamp. Obviously, I painted it.

Jimmy

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel