The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Sound Tube delete

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

http://www.cooltechllc.com/Boss/Boss_SPD_Kit.shtml

Got my kit fast, thanks to Cool Tech (Kendall)

Took me 30 seconds to remove the old tube, two seconds to pop in the firewall plug and how fast you can tighten a clamp for the rest. For the guys that do not do their own work, don't worry you can do it your self with a 10 MM socket and screwdriver.

For the sound, not too much different. In a way I like it since you can hear the motor better for real not the way it sounds in a tube, if that makes sense. I can also hear the exhaust note a little better (7/8 discs). It is not a grand difference but the whole point is cleaning up the engine compartment anyway.

Old pipe and pipe out

CIMG2485.jpg
CIMG2486.png
CIMG2487.png
CIMG2488.png

Connection points bare and with Kendall's kit installed. The last is a newer clean look :D

CIMG2489.jpg
CIMG2490.png
CIMG2491.png
CIMG2492.jpg
CIMG2493.jpg

ace72ace

Zaino, I put that $hit on everything
Looks pretty dusty under the hood there Jimmy, better clean that up! Oh and paint costs money too if you don't have any! It all adds up. The Cooltech firewall plug is just the ticket, haven't seen pix of the master cylinder gasket yet.

ace72ace

Zaino, I put that $hit on everything
I disagree, I think it is a little quieter w/o the tube. Been trying to pay close attention to the gopro clips I capture over the 2 weeks when I had borrowed by buddy's Hero2. I will try and post a before/after clip if I can find the time, but it's no big deal.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
ace72ace said:
I disagree, I think it is a little quieter w/o the tube. Been trying to pay close attention to the gopro clips I capture over the 2 weeks when I had borrowed by buddy's Hero2. I will try and post a before/after clip if I can find the time, but it's no big deal.
maybe with the stock exhaust and CAI I didnt hear any difference with having the steeda CAI and magnaflow comp cat back.

Senderofan

Having more fun than should be allowed..in my Boss
Jimmy Pribble said:
ace72ace said:
...haven't seen pix of the master cylinder gasket yet.

soundtube_delete_after2.jpg

Here is the 42098 gasket. Sorry, I didn't have time to wax my firewall.

Jimmy

Jimmy:

You need to sit in the corner...with your nose touching the wall for one hour ;). How could you display a picture of your firewall....without it being detailed??? What has this community stooped to?

In all seriousness...I purchased the "CoolTech" delete kit. This worked extremely well for me...not sure what benefit the "Sound tube" was to me....I'm just happy to be able to check the engine oil in an easier manner since the sound tube removal.

Wayne

Wow, five days from placement of order to delivery (California to Florida)...happy customer, thanks Cool Tech (Kendall). Installation was simple and the engine bay, IMO, looks "balanced".

hulk302

2013 Boss 302 aka "The Hulk"
Are there any warranty implications to removing the sound tube? I have a stock 2013 Boss 302, but would like to make it easier to check the oil without voiding my warranty.

hulk302 said:
Are there any warranty implications to removing the sound tube? I have a stock 2013 Boss 302, but would like to make it easier to check the oil without voiding my warranty.
No worries on removing the sound tube and Welcome to BMO!

The purpose of the sound tube, that we're in the process of deleting, was as someone pointed out, to direct induction sound to the driver when the windows are up. The device in the tube is called a Symposer made by the company Mann+Hummel, a major supplier for intake systems and filters, known as Mann Filter in the aftermarket. It first got its use in the Focus ST in Europe and has since been added to the Taurus SHO, the new Focus ST and the Mustang 5.0. Some other OEM are using this as well, like Porsche. Actually, it has a stronger benefit for turbo cars as they lack a good low frequency sound tone due to the compressor chopping up the sound waves. The Symposium gives a driver some audible feedback as the throttle is opened and is tuned via a rubber diaphragm to amplify the lower frequency tones. What we all used to like when the secondaries kicked in on our old 4 barrel carbs. The real driver on all this is pass-by noise standards for vehicles, which is inclusive of all noise, be it tires, exhaust, induction, drivetrain, etc.. By piping the "tuned" sound to the driver, this is not audible in a drive-by measurement. I used to work for M+H so figured I could add a ten cent remark. However, I have no loyalty to ripping this off as it looks like a tumor!

Rickshaw said:
The purpose of the sound tube, that we're in the process of deleting, was as someone pointed out, to direct induction sound to the driver when the windows are up. The device in the tube is called a Symposer made by the company Mann+Hummel, a major supplier for intake systems and filters, known as Mann Filter in the aftermarket. It first got its use in the Focus ST in Europe and has since been added to the Taurus SHO, the new Focus ST and the Mustang 5.0. Some other OEM are using this as well, like Porsche. Actually, it has a stronger benefit for turbo cars as they lack a good low frequency sound tone due to the compressor chopping up the sound waves. The Symposium gives a driver some audible feedback as the throttle is opened and is tuned via a rubber diaphragm to amplify the lower frequency tones. What we all used to like when the secondaries kicked in on our old 4 barrel carbs. The real driver on all this is pass-by noise standards for vehicles, which is inclusive of all noise, be it tires, exhaust, induction, drivetrain, etc.. By piping the "tuned" sound to the driver, this is not audible in a drive-by measurement. I used to work for M+H so figured I could add a ten cent remark. However, I have no loyalty to ripping this off as it looks like a tumor!
Rick, thanks for the great explanation. I'm like many owners where the sound was never the issue but the looks of the tube and hardware cluttered up the engine compartment. The 7,500 RPM scream more than makes up for the lack of intake sound. ;D

Has anyone found the vinyl cap that goes over the sound tube? I tried three stores and couldn't find it. One place had 1-1/4" vinyl caps in a 4-pack that looked like what I need but no 1-1/2"

I had bought the Cooltech kit, but this just looked like something that might crack/tear at an inopportune time (like at the track) so I wanted to make sure I had a backup part. I've had my JLT oil separator fitting crack at the track causing a vacuum leak, but fortunately had my stock line with me. I couldn't find the exact part but found some 1-1/2" rubber chair crutch tips (2-pack for $3.99) that looked like they'd do the trick. I ended up just using one of them and tossing the Cooltech plug in the parts bin in the trailer for backup. I also had the wires from my oil temp sensor going through the hole in the firewall so had to work around them. I used another member's idea and drilled a hole in the center and a box knife to clear a path so I could slide them inside the plug. I guess there are a bunch of different ways to skin this cat :D

20130113140420.jpg

20130113140408.jpg

20130113140354.jpg

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland
There isn't very good off the shelf caps available, but the one provided in the cool tech kit looks to be the same as in our Blowfish Racing kit. I just adhered a reinforcement piece in the end of the cap. This eliminated the end of the cap being drawn into the intake tube under vacuum and will greatly increase its lifespan. I could have a special cap made, but it would greatly increase the cost.

TMO Supporting Vendors