The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Source for high temp dust boots for stock rear brakes - or do we even care?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
I have melted a couple of sets of dust boots on the stock rear brakes on my '16 PP1 car. Seals are fine and the calipers work as they should, but the dust boots melt. I bought a set of calipers from OPMustang with high temp boots and they seem to be standing up fine but I see he no longer stocks them and the ones I have won't last forever. Plus I only need 2 sets of rear calipers, a man only needs so many spare parts......

Some people say fuggitaboutit they're only dust boots and if it's not a DD it's not a big issue, but I kind of like the idea of keeping crap out of the area around the pistons.

I've been looking around trying to find high temp dust boots for these brakes with no luck. Does anyone know were such a thing can be found? They're an oddball size so the Stoptech high temp boots don't come in that size from what I can see. Not really needing or wanting an upgrade to a new rear brake system, these work just fine for what I'm doing, just tired of fooling around with dust boots....

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
SoCal
I'm interested in this as well. I purchased the rear calipers from OP Mustang earlier this year myself, but I still had an issue the L.R. getting stuck and tore slightly when changing back to my stock pads after the track.

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
I typically do, but I've learned to drive the thing well enough now that the TC light never comes on. That light flickered a lot in the beginning, now, very rarely, never at Mosport and only occasionally at the more technical tracks I run. I've run in all the modes that are available on a base and there's hardly any noticeable difference anyway, especially true with the PP2 tune installed. I just get in it and drive.

These calipers were on it at the beginning, and that's probably why the boots got smoked when I was over driving the crap out of the thing on not great tires. I read posts on other forums from people with the same problem who claim to run with everything turned off. I find the brake wear on my car is fairly even front/back, I measure them after every track day. The rears are so small compared to the fronts though even if they're only doing 1/4 of the braking they're going to wear fairly much as the fronts do.

The problem is mostly with my mechanic, he thinks this is a big deal, I'm learning not so much...I think I'm just going to stick another boot in there and carry on.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
The problem is mostly with my mechanic, he thinks this is a big deal, I'm learning not so much...I think I'm just going to stick another boot in there and carry on.

Sounds like the best solution. Treat the seals as a maintenance item you swap out after the track season.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
SoCal
Hmm,, do you track the car with TC on??? With out TC the rears cool down a lot!! And rear pads become eternal...
I initially had used TC in track mode the first couple track days with the new seals, but I've since weaned myself off TC. I never liked how it tended to cut power when accelerating out of a corner if it sensed any slip. Front pads tend to wear quicker than the rear for me.

TMO Supporting Vendors