The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Spare tire/wheel set Up.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reading up on having a spare tire instead on the inflator kit. Other than GT500 wheel this one look like an option? Spokes are arched out enough that looks like it would clear the brakes.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FORD-MUSTANG-GT-COYOTE-18-SPARE-WHEEL-TIRE-05-06-07-08-09-2010-2011-2012-2013-/281888688946?hash=item41a1e00b32:g:pYQAAOSwHPlWc3sj&vxp=mtr

Not sure about that one. Regardless of how the spokes are shaped there still may not be enough clearance for the Brembo calipers. You may be able to use a spacer if needed. I'd only buy something that's confirmed to fit. They list their phone number so I'd call them first to confirm they clear the Brembo calipers.

Also, new FRPP GT500 wheels are $150 each, usually with free shipping. I'd skip the knock off spare and go with a real wheel.

I was asking because there was a photo of a wrecked boss that had this wheel mounted on one front side. There is a huge wheel only salvage yard that local to me so next time I'm by there I will see what they may have and do trial fit.

VooDooBOSS said:
Not sure about that one. Regardless of how the spokes are shaped there still may not be enough clearance for the Brembo calipers. You may be able to use a spacer if needed. I'd only buy something that's confirmed to fit. They list their phone number so I'd call them first to confirm they clear the Brembo calipers.

Just get a full size 18 or 19" wheel that will clear Brembos. I was able to pick up a used 302s replica wheel and a used tire for under $200 altogether. The wheel I was able to buy from a local forum and I found a used tire seller on ebay.

I put the full size spare in the car for long road trips.

This replica wheel has the same size/offset as a real Laguna/302S rear wheel so it should clear the Brembos (I used 302S 19x10s at all 4 corners for a while). For $99 bucks+tire, seems like a good option.

http://www.americanmuscle.com/hyper-black-boss-19x10-0514.html

EDIT: after I posted I went on ebay and bought a new/blemished one of them for $49 (looks like just a paint imperfection but I don't care since it is a spare).

If anyone has a used 285/35/19 PSS (or even 295/35), PM me please!

With a 255/40/19, I was able to fit my full size spare in the spare tire well. Remember you'll need a small jack and a lug wrench if you don't have one in the car.

VooDooBOSS said:
Or a AAA card.
Yea>> No AAA for me.
So they can destroy your splitter/fascia in the tow.
no thanks....Give me the spare
I seen to many times while putting the car on the back of a rolloff scrap the living chit out of the bottom of cars that sit low. They dont care.
I rather ruin a rim and tire than to have some driver winch my car with a cable onto a flatbed. If its because of motor issuie than thats different. But for a flat. No way in hell. thats why i also carry a tire plug kit.

I agree 100% with Grant about rotatin the rear to front if needed.
If one does go with AAA than may I suggest you take out your phone and take pictures of your front before he loads your car. Also by doing so the driver will know that you take great pride in your car and will go WAY out of There way to load your car with extra care.

Measuring the wheel/tire and the trunk well it looks like it would be a force fit at best. I thinking one of the 18" sve wheels that clear the brembo with 35 series tire would work better

LikeABauce302 said:
With a 255/40/19, I was able to fit my full size spare in the spare tire well. Remember you'll need a small jack and a lug wrench if you don't have one in the car.

superhero said:
Yea>> No AAA for me.
So they can destroy your splitter/fascia in the tow.
no thanks....Give me the spare
I seen to many times while putting the car on the back of a rolloff scrap the living chit out of the bottom of cars that sit low. They dont care.
I rather ruin a rim and tire than to have some driver winch my car with a cable onto a flatbed. If its because of motor issuie than thats different. But for a flat. No way in hell. thats why i also carry a tire plug kit.

I agree 100% with Grant about rotatin the rear to front if needed.
If one does go with AAA than may I suggest you take out your phone and take pictures of your front before he loads your car. Also by doing so the driver will know that you take great pride in your car and will go WAY out of There way to load your car with extra care.
Whoa. I should have been more clear. I'd have AAA come out and install the spare. ;) FWIW I had my Boss towed twice, lowered with the WC splitter installed, and had no issues. Both drivers had all the necessary blocks of wood to elevate the front end and no damage occurred to my car. Most of the tow truck drivers know what they're doing you just need to stand there and watch them. The Boss is not the only low car on the road.

k98dave said:
Measuring the wheel/tire and the trunk well it looks like it would be a force fit at best. I thinking one of the 18" sve wheels that clear the brembo with 35 series tire would work better

It's a tight fit, but I didn't have to force my full size spare into the trunk well. It dropped down in there without a whole lot of effort.

VooDooBOSS said:
Whoa. I should have been more clear. I'd have AAA come out and install the spare. ;) FWIW I had my Boss towed twice, lowered with the WC splitter installed, and had no issues. Both drivers had all the necessary blocks of wood to elevate the front end and no damage occurred to my car. Most of the tow truck drivers know what they're doing you just need to stand there and watch them. The Boss is not the only low car on the road.

Lol...would of never thought of having AAA to change a tire.
Sorry> ;)

I used a 18x9 SVE Drift wheel with a 255x40 tire. It is a little wide so it sits a little high in the well but is no big deal. I also bought a mustang jack on Ebay.I also tried a Boss 302s BBS wheel but it would not fit the hub. Can anyone tell me why? I know the lugs are different but this wheel would not fit on the hub.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel