The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S550 Speak Loudly and Carry a Big Stick Build Thread Profile - S550 Mustangs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Wow, sir--awesome stuff! You are not screwing around with this thing...enjoy!
Since you converted to E85--how are you making it through sessions at big tracks like Daytona? I thought the 500 drained the fuel tank pretty quick on-track, and E85 is at least 30% higher consumption.

Last edited:

This was lap 5 (that's a ZL1 LE BTW :D). Lap 6 it fuel starved a bit going into the Bus Stop. I finished lap 6 at a fast enough pace to be fun and then cooled it off and came in. I didn't worry about getting it fully topped up before the session, because there'd been so much traffic and my fuel consumption was more moderate in earlier sessions...stupid. I think I missed out on 1-2 full paced laps, and probably a faster lap time. I could've got 1 more at pace had it been totally full.

This had me looking into trunk tire well fuel cells as a supplement. But then I've got fuel in the trunk, and I like fold down seats so I don't want to build a firewall. I can put my bicycle in there, and I also actually have a full size spare in the spare tire well.

This car is really just about fun; this is decidedly *not* the setup to maximize driver development or lap times. On E85 it makes crazy power safely, the fuel is tons cheaper, and doesn't get too hot no matter ambient temps. If I miss out on a few laps per HPDE day because I have to come in 1 lap early, is that really a big deal?

EDIT- Also, I currently don't plan to go back to Daytona with this car. It's easily a 190MPH car now, and if I am there, I'm going to try for it. That's too damn fast without a cage etc.

Ludachris

Chris
Staff member
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Newcastle, CA
Last mods have been installing the Vorschlag brake deflectors (with some fancy ti bolts from my motorcycle days!), and some interior bits I’ve been pulling out of my other car as I get it ready to cage.

I had to grit my teeth go do the back seat as the stuff is pretty heavy. I got the back seat in using a combination of parts from my GT350R rear seat kit I kept and a stock GT seat I ebayed cheap. I need to get recaro GT5 matching rear skins for these.

View attachment 77812

View attachment 77813

View attachment 77814

View attachment 77815

View attachment 77817
Love the booster seat. I had a couple of those in the back of my Mustang for a short time.

X2 on the booster seat! 👍 I had one in my Mustang for years also but it was nothing like this one. The car I mean, the booster seat was very similar lol. Kids love being picked up from school in Mustangs.

X2 on the booster seat! 👍 I had one in my Mustang for years also but it was nothing like this one. The car I mean, the booster seat was very similar lol. Kids love being picked up from school in Mustangs.
Yes, dad used to pick us up in his 70 Z28 Camaro sometimes, we loved it.

Wifey demanded airbags and modern crash safety for my version. 🙂

Life’s been crazy so just been street driving a bit, but managed some time over the weekend.

I’ve been wanting a real spare for road-trips, and is easy enough to remove for trackdays. Installed the comprehensive Automotive authority kit along with some sound deadening material. Fits ok, but sits about 3/4” proud. It’d be close without sound deadening and if you ripped off the felt pad. Unfortunately messes up access to the little OEM funnel which I use every E85 fill up for
Top end lube.
C27432F6-A0D0-4132-8766-C7ADD13E2B3E.jpeg

Last edited:
I knew I’d drop fasteners so, blankie over the engine to catch stuff installing the FP CF vent.

The underside finish of this part sucks. Overpriced, disappointed Ford brands this to sell (it’s made by Anderson).

I’ve never been much for cosmetic mods, but CFTP cars need this and the trunk panel to complete the look I think. I do love it with hood closed, and it’s a lot lighter. It will match my vented fenders when I can get them installed 👍

28804811-82D8-4CE3-9A52-433D1F45E4FC.jpeg

1D5BD72C-4232-4432-966D-0E84CACC6A74.jpeg

Last edited:
These are scary to install because of the factory retention clips along the top. Painters taped my trunk per FP instructions and wrestled the fasteners. I’d recommend two layers of tape.

I matched the factory rubber molding by laying down narrow, 3M 2 sided tape I didn’t remove the top cover from. People have alignment issues but mine looks good.

There’s enough slack in the camera cable to carefully unplug camera without removing trunk liner as the instructions suggest. The FP part also does not use stock fasteners.

Sorry, no install photos. Daughter was helping and we were talking, forgot.

Overall pleased with the look of these pieces, but they’re not OEM standard, which was a bit disappointing.

717E554F-5F16-4F0A-B022-3EE2EF39F19E.jpeg

TMO Supporting Vendors