The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

spec 2+ clutch

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hey guys ,

Found a new spec 2+ clutch with an aluminium flywheel for a great price.

What i wanna know is how is it going to launch in traffic jams compared to stock oem clutch and flywheel ?

Do i need to change the slave cylinder or not ?

What should i do after installation ?? Just a clutch relearn or there are other things to do too ??

Thanks,

I have the same setup but also with the billet pressure plate. its a little heavier in traffic, and its a bit choppy below 1500 rpm when its cold - that's it! you need a relearn that will take care of any issues with codes.

FWIW, we only run a dual disc clutch where it is mandatory, (I just took out the stock twin disc in my Gt500), you can get them from Exedy (recommended) or Spec. You should have to change the throwout bearing/slave cylinder, let's face it, you're already in there, along with the pilot bearing/bushing. You will also want one with a "sprung" center disc, not the solid race version.
I think your clutch bleed procedure is the same as ours. Find a hand held vacuum pump, find a stopper that will fit in the brake master cylinder (if it's a shared one with the clutch) and drill a hole in that rubber stopper that will accept the hose end from the pump.Fill the cylinder, and pump up the vacuum, wait 30 seconds and you're done. I did it twice on mine to make sure but didn't need to.

blacksheep-1 said:
FWIW, we only run a dual disc clutch where it is mandatory, (I just took out the stock twin disc in my Gt500), you can get them from Exedy (recommended) or Spec. You should have to change the throwout bearing/slave cylinder, let's face it, you're already in there, along with the pilot bearing/bushing. You will also want one with a "sprung" center disc, not the solid race version.
I think your clutch bleed procedure is the same as ours. Find a hand held vacuum pump, find a stopper that will fit in the brake master cylinder (if it's a shared one with the clutch) and drill a hole in that rubber stopper that will accept the hose end from the pump.Fill the cylinder, and pump up the vacuum, wait 30 seconds and you're done. I did it twice on mine to make sure but didn't need to.

Blacksheep, i'm getting my MT82 rebuilt at Liberty. Spending extra $ for all types of improvements in durability and shifting including ceramic bearings, cryo'd coated gears, better forks, etc. Should I get new OEM MT82 Ford slave cylinder / throw out bearing combo? or should I get the SPEC parts? with OEM the clutch is right on the floor, not sure if it needs shims or if the SPEC slave cylinder has a longer stroke.

This is where a tilton adjustable clutch master cylinder would come in handy! (Hell, i'll take a Tilton or RHS billet mini clutch while i'm at it :)

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel