The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Spec clutch question 6 bolt 9 bolt

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Hi, a while ago bought a Spec stage one clutch form CJ pony parts. Unfortunately the clutch that arrived was the six bolt clutch and the shipping cost was to much to send it back to the USA, so its been sitting on the bench. I was wondering if I bought a Spec aluminium flywheel which has the 6, 9 or 12 bolt setup, could I just use the 6 bolt clutch I have? The Boss and the GT (after about mid 2011) have the 9 bolt. Would the 6 bolt be weaker? I do not plan on going much beyond 450 rwhp... (famous last words). Any input appreciated!

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
I would suggest you try to sell the 6 bolt clutch to a local Mustang owner. I would not use a 6 bolt pressure plate in place of your current 9 bolt set-up.

Remember, that is 33% less bolts to secure the clutch to the flywheel. Next, in thinking about the flywheel change required to make this change, I would be concerned about its performance at 7,000 plus RPM's. They were not designed for this environment.

Sell it locally, and get what you need. Why take the chance?

Good luck,
302 Hi Pro

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel