The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Spec Clutches? Looking for some advice

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
SoCal
Actually, no crunching at all. It's been working well and I haven't experienced any of the reported issues yet (knock on wood). I might wait then.

Thanks! I've already decided to purchase the Spec Stage 1 with the aluminum pressure plate. I'm still on the fence though about the aluminum flywheel. I need to make up my mind soon.

Something else has just occurred to me though. I wonder if I should be sending the MT82 with 28k miles on it to Ben Calimer for a Stage 1 rebuild while it's out? Yikes... more $$$
That I haven't done yet, although I may down the road. It's only money.... Right?

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
SoCal
No kidding... I'm trying to budget right now for a trailer. If I send in the MT82, then that will set me back a bit from the trailer.

That's good to hear, thanks. Is this with an S550? I did ask them about the Stage 2 and 2+, but they didn't recommend it stating that Kevlar is not the best choice for the track because it can glaze over if it gets hot. Glad to know it's working great for you though.
Well i have tried to glaze it! once i tried to do a burnout in 3rd by accident and was like where is all my torque? then i smelled where it went. I don't drag race much but even that didn't phase this beast. I didn't know about the Kevlar thing, not sure why they didn't tell me that before i bought it. its a joy on the street but my buddy got out of his manual 9-11, got in my car and promptly stalled it 3 times in a row.. so its not typical. Now, none of these clutches compare to the RPS Billet Carbon Twin or Triple. that is a work of art worth every penny and my next clutch.

EDIT i also upgraded to the Ben's Transmission, no looking back! (and the shifter in my avatar lol)..

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
SoCal
Dang, everyone is helping me spend my money. I guess that's what happens when you ask for help on this forum :p

I messaged @Mad Hatter when I discovered he originally ran a SPEC Stage 1 with the aluminum pressure plate and flywheel. He was a great help. He said the car drove well and with no noise issues. He switched to the 2+ though due to the organic disc starting to smell (stink) and slip when it got hot. The 2+ performed flawlessly for 3 seasons. As a result of his remarks and others, I believe I will go with the 2+ as well. I just find it strange that SPEC commented it's not their first choice due to the Kevlar in it. Now I need to give Ben a call... $$$ I guess the trailer is going to have to wait.

TymeSlayer

Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
Good choice. I choose not to go with the alum flywheel because I heard it chattered. Back then I still drove the car on the street so I went with the lightweight steel. It performs flawlessly but in hinsight now that the car is mostly on track, I should have gone with the aluminum. Good luck with the install.

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
I’ll be replacing the clutch in the next 12 month or less. It’s was replaced under Factory Warranty with an OEM unit due to clunk noises. Found broken springs in the disc hub. (Made in Turkey)

But I’m giving serious consideration to a Spec 2+ with billet aluminum PP, Kevlar disc, & lightened Steel Flywheel. New TOB & PB of course.

After much thought, I’ll stick with a single disc unit.

The MT-82 will go to Ben Calmer, just because. (Head shiznit IYKWIM.)

I’ll be replacing the clutch in the next 12 month or less. It’s was replaced under Factory Warranty with an OEM unit due to clunk noises. Found broken springs in the disc hub. (Made in Turkey)

But I’m giving serious consideration to a Spec 2+ with billet aluminum PP, Kevlar disc, & lightened Steel Flywheel. New TOB & PB of course.

After much thought, I’ll stick with a single disc unit.

The MT-82 will go to Ben Calmer, just because. (Head shiznit IYKWIM.)
I went with the Spec 2+ and lighted steel flywheel. Smooth easy shifting. Same pedal pressure..

I may be in need of a new clutch… still unsure what failed but doing prelim research so I can have a plan if it comes to needing a new clutch.

Looks like folks have had luck with the 2+ and aluminum pressure plate? Has anyone tried the stage 1? Interesting spec doesn’t list it as a race application clutch.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
SoCal
I may be in need of a new clutch… still unsure what failed but doing prelim research so I can have a plan if it comes to needing a new clutch.

Looks like folks have had luck with the 2+ and aluminum pressure plate? Has anyone tried the stage 1? Interesting spec doesn’t list it as a race application clutch.
I went back and forth on this for a while. I have 2016 GT with the Ford Power Pack 3 tune that I track 6-8 times a year. I contacted Spec and spoke with them multiple times about choosing the right clutch. They insisted that the Spec 1 was more than sufficient for HPDE's based on my current HP.

Some TMO members commented that they were happy running the Spec 2 clutch and recommended that. However, Spec said time and again they didn't recommend it for the track (road course) because the Kevlar discs can glaze over when they get hot. They said the next step up for road course would be the Spec 3, which in their minds was overkill for my HP and said some street drivability would suffer.

I also chatted (email) with @Mad Hatter (great guy) about the Spec 1 he used for a few years in his race car. He said it always performed great on the street, but when racing, it could start to smell pretty bad and begin to slip due to the organic material.

Considering that I wasn't racing and that average time on track for me is usually 20 minutes or less, I finally opted for the Spec 1 with the aluminum flywheel and pressure plate option.

I have not had a chance to take it to the track yet due to Covid and the fact that we are currently building a home. However, I have run it through its paces on some windy roads and this clutch and flywheel combo has totally changed the personality of the car. It revs much quicker, heel and toe rev matching is easier due to the fact that you don't have to stab the throttle as hard to get the flywheel up to speed, and I like the quicker off throttle deceleration due to less flywheel mass. It has made the car more fun to drive.

I was a little bit worried that it would be noisy when idling, but it's not. There was a small learning curve for stop and go traffic, but I quickly got used to it. So far I'm very pleased with my decision, but I won't know for sure until I get back to the track.

I went back and forth on this for a while. I have 2016 GT with the Ford Power Pack 3 tune that I track 6-8 times a year. I contacted Spec and spoke with them multiple times about choosing the right clutch. They insisted that the Spec 1 was more than sufficient for HPDE's based on my current HP.

Some TMO members commented that they were happy running the Spec 2 clutch and recommended that. However, Spec said time and again they didn't recommend it for the track (road course) because the Kevlar discs can glaze over when they get hot. They said the next step up for road course would be the Spec 3, which in their minds was overkill for my HP and said some street drivability would suffer.

I also chatted (email) with @Mad Hatter (great guy) about the Spec 1 he used for a few years in his race car. He said it always performed great on the street, but when racing, it could start to smell pretty bad and begin to slip due to the organic material.

Considering that I wasn't racing and that average time on track for me is usually 20 minutes or less, I finally opted for the Spec 1 with the aluminum flywheel and pressure plate option.

I have not had a chance to take it to the track yet due to Covid and the fact that we are currently building a home. However, I have run it through its paces on some windy roads and this clutch and flywheel combo has totally changed the personality of the car. It revs much quicker, heel and toe rev matching is easier due to the fact that you don't have to stab the throttle as hard to get the flywheel up to speed, and I like the quicker off throttle deceleration due to less flywheel mass. It has made the car more fun to drive.

I was a little bit worried that it would be noisy when idling, but it's not. There was a small learning curve for stop and go traffic, but I quickly got used to it. So far I'm very pleased with my decision, but I won't know for sure until I get back to the track.
I have a v6… so torque handling is a total non issue for me, lol. I make 265 wheel torque. I am more worried about track temp as you suggested. But also, it’s not a full blown race car. I don’t street drive mine much anymore, but I also don’t track all that often and I’m not setting any records with the car. Definitely run it hard, but not to the level of the more track enthusiast on here.

Currently I have a RAM HDX which I believe is also organic, and it has been fine. Hell, it may still be fine, just not sure yet until I pull trans.

I have a aluminum flywheel from fidanza, I believe it’s 11.8 lbs, but the RAM HDX is not light. If I end up needing a new clutch, I think I am sold on the spec stage 1 with aluminum pressure plate option as I’d really appreciate even less mass. With less torque, the clutch is working less hard as it’s holding back less force…. My car makes damn near half the rated torque handling of the stage 1.

Thanks for the info! And hopefully some others have some feedback as well.

I replaced the stock clutch in my 2013 Boss 302 with a Spec 1 because I was having issues with high RPM shifts from first to second. I opted to go with a lightened steel flywheel which seems to offer quicker rev's.

The Spec 1 corrected the high RPM lockout issues. Their was some initial chatter when taking off from first and in reverse. The clutch did take a couple thousand miles on it before it totally broke in and smoothed out.

I am very happy with the Spec 1 and would buy it again if there was a need.

Hope this helps!!!

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel