The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Spec Iron in NASA Great Lakes, Rain race for last race of the year!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
West Michigan
A few laps in the last race of the year for NASA Great Lakes Spec Iron. Rain made it interesting, as the Toyo RA1s leave more than a little to be desired as a rain tire. The RRs are great for the dry tire though! The 3V solid axle can be a handful in the wet on RA1s :)

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Remember a couple of nasty storms while racing in Spec Miata and can confirm that R1s are a handful in ultra damp conditions. Though be thankful you were not on R888Rs as they are even worse, ha. Thanks for posting and how did you end up overall for the year ,as it looked like you and your main competitor in Spec Iron swapped wins at the last race.

looks like you did a pretty good job, I remember when we were at the Runoffs at VIR, it started to rain and we had to do a bunch of demon tweaks to the car at the last minute.

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
West Michigan
Bill, finished with the points championship over my main competitor, it went down to the last two races though! The class is gaining some steam in the Great Lakes area, we added a new driver this year with at least 2 maybe 3 more new cars coming in next year. We should field at least 5 and up to 10 cars each event next year! Really fun car to drive, while expenses remain on the modest for racing! Hope to see you at a few events next year!

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
West Michigan
looks like you did a pretty good job, I remember when we were at the Runoffs at VIR, it started to rain and we had to do a bunch of demon tweaks to the car at the last minute.
It had literally started to mist lightly about 20 minutes before this race....we made the call, as well as the gold car, at the last minute to switch from dry tires....really, really glad we did...we both made it to grid with just one minute left!

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Congrats on the win, I knew it was tight and always good to see an old Spec Miata driver show folks we can still drive once we get a little power, ha,ha.

Last edited:

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel