The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Spec Mustang?!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

have you guys seen this?

http://www.v8supercarswest.com/Contact_Us.html

looks like we might actually get spec mustang racing going out here on the west coast...woohoo!

even if racing isn't your gig, having guys spec racing this chassis will go a long way towards learning to optimize them (without being on a big-race-team budget).

Looks like David talked SCCA into making a spec class just for his car. :D

So when do you start work on yours??? ;)

Wonder if I could get NASA to do that, I'd be game, and they have plenty of spec classes. Plenty of Mustangs, too.

LateApex said:
Wonder if I could get NASA to do that, I'd be game, and they have plenty of spec classes. Plenty of Mustangs, too.

NASA's already got American Iron.................I don't think a Mustang Spec class would go.

Boss_302 said:
LateApex said:

NASA's already got American Iron.................I don't think a Mustang Spec class would go.

Well, AI is one thing - isn't really a "spec" class per se. NASA has an GTS race class (German Touring Sportscars), and yet still has spec classes for BMW E30's and 3-series cars, various Porsches, etc. - so I don't see why they wouldn't.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
We tried to do this with Roush 427R TrakPaks back in 2008 but 2008 wasn't exactly a good year for disposable-income hobbies, if you recall :(

Anyhow looks like fun, should be simple to get cars into that condition. I'll be too busy with my BOSS, though!

GA
LateApex said:
Boss_302 said:
LateApex said:

Well, AI is one thing - isn't really a "spec" class per se. NASA has an GTS race class (German Touring Sportscars), and yet still has spec classes for BMW E30's and 3-series cars, various Porsches, etc. - so I don't see why they wouldn't.

NASA also has two classes of Camaro-Mustang Challenge, so I agree that I don't think you'll see a Mustang spec class.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Wow, let's hope this goes Nationwide. May make me to renew my Competition License with SCCA in the future.

Pretty exciting stuff and it will definitely improve the breed -- plus help alot of us with set up for regular track time fun!

LateApex said:
If the SCCA already has a spec-mustang class why not just run with them? Is it a location issue (SFR) or some other reason. The reason why I ask is I run with the SCCA in another class and I am just curious as to why or if you prefer to run with NASA.

orng302 said:
LateApex said:
If the SCCA already has a spec-mustang class why not just run with them? Is it a location issue (SFR) or some other reason. The reason why I ask is I run with the SCCA in another class and I am just curious as to why or if you prefer to run with NASA.

Well, I'm a Midwest guy, so sure, location is a factor. But all things being equal, these days I tend to prefer NASA. Never said I wouldn't run SCCA if that was the only game in town - I was a member up until last year.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
I'd rather see a stock coyote engine requirement...maybe in a couple of years.

I don't think I'll ever buy a 3-valve 4.6, unless it's already wrapped by a FR500 body!

4.6 is to keep the cost down...and they'll be plenty capable cars. but I agree that a coyote-based car would be more fun. I've been tinkering with the idea of picking up a '11 gt and starting from there for a dedicated track car...using, essentially, the same same suspension and brake setup as the spec mustang series will use.

TMO Supporting Vendors