The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

spec vs mcleod clutch

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hey guys,

Im sorry if this topic was discussed b4 but i would like to know if anyone tried spec cluteches on our cars ?

How do they perform ? how are they compared to rst ?

There are a couple of different of spec clutches which is said that they work well for our car, so which one is the most reommended ( spec 2, 2+ , 3 , 3+ ? )

If you guys tried out any of the spec or mcleod or even both ,, plz mention ur review about them

Many thanks,

captdistraction

GrumpyRacer
Phoenix, Az
What is the intended use?

I've run the mcleod RXT with great success, however, I'll note that the RST is bonded organic material, and likely not what you'd want to run on a car that's driven on track for any length of time (the material can shear under continuous hot load)

If you go with any of the mcleod options, get the matching flywheel.

Mostly autocross and curcuit racing... sometimes i daily drive the car on winter time and do drag race too but on the street not on drag strips .

Im also looking into maybe going for the aluminium flywheel but i donno bad the launching will be like

Tulsa, OK
I have a Spec 4 and aluminum flywheel in my car. It has a 6-puck disc and no springs so engagement is a little harsh but it's not awful. I wouldn't want to daily it but I can still drive it on the street occasionally without too much hassle.

The McLeod RXT will be the most popular choice if you're looking for a clutch on a car that sees quite a bit of track duty. I decided to go a different route and so far I've been pleased with Spec. The Spec 3 would the same thing I have except with springs. Spec 3+ is a full face disc.

so i can ride the rxt in traffic jam easily with no problems ?

Ive also read about the excedy clutch ... many ppl like them ..

I still donno whats the best option for me to get .. plz help

i dnt mind the price.. i will be running full na with cams .. would like to have smooth launch but wont mind it be little harsh for performance cuz ill be hittin tracks too .

eng90 said:
so i can ride the rxt in traffic jam easily with no problems ?

Ive also read about the excedy clutch ... many ppl like them ..

I still donno whats the best option for me to get .. plz help

i dnt mind the price.. i will be running full na with cams .. would like to have smooth launch but wont mind it be little harsh for performance cuz ill be hittin tracks too .

If you are NA and staying that way - don't over do it too much. Make sure the material is not just plane organic disc. The lowest level I would go is the Spec stage 2+ that's what I did for max streetability and still super tough and heat tolerant at the track. I've tried hard to melt its Kevlar / graphite material and never once did it falter. Shift at 8000 rpm? no problem.. slipping the clutch during launch or burnouts? no issues.. melt your clutch doing stupid slipping crap for no reason? it'll still hang in there.

With the Aluminum flywheel its quite light and for the price the billet pressure plate makes it the lightest / strongest / cheapest thing you can get. Doing it again i'd go with the stage 3 or 3+ just because I've heard those also engage well and I really don't need all the street manners the 2+ offers.. its almost like stock.

RXT is a much larger unit that can handle a lot more torque than the spec. its also a twin plate and usually has a steel flywheel (lightened). its not nearly as light as the spec and its much more $. but if you need that torque handling do it.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel