The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Speed limiter

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sesshomurai

Hi,
I heard the boss is electronically limited to 155mph. Is that true? Does the track key remove this limit?
If not, can the trackkey be re-programmed to remove or extend this limit? How can that be done?

thanks for any tips!

Yes 155. TK does not remove it. An after-market tuner can remove it. My understanding is the driveshaft would be the first thing to let go so if you go that route you'd want a stronger DS and some safety loops to avoid potential carnage.

CrashTex

Too swift arrives as tardy as too slow
One of the Boss owners is stationed in Germany and has pegged 155 on the autobahn several times. He said the front end starts feeling pretty light-- had the same experience with the BMW I owned when I lived over there. Coefficients of friction, and therefore also aerodynamic drag, are exponential equations, so at those speeds it takes a lot of energy to go even a little faster.

There is a thread on here about top speed... Before spending any money or effort trying to get faster, check into how much faster you might actually get. Unless you're running at Bonneville, there might be better places to spend the money on this car.

And don't get me wrong..... I love speed.

CrashTex said:
One of the Boss owners is stationed in Germany and has pegged 155 on the autobahn several times. He said the front end starts feeling pretty light-- had the same experience with the BMW I owned when I lived over there. Coefficients of friction, and therefore also aerodynamic drag, are exponential equations, so at those speeds it takes a lot of energy to go even a little faster.

There is a thread on here about top speed... Before spending any money or effort trying to get faster, check into how much faster you might actually get. Unless you're running at Bonneville, there might be better places to spend the money on this car.

And don't get me wrong..... I love speed.
Agreed. The highest speed I've been able to hit on track is 150 (GPS) and that's on BIR and RA which are two of the highest speed tracks in the country.

Sesshomurai

I didn't mean to imply I wanted to do this now or spend money on it. I just want to know the technical limitations with the car and the path forward if and when its necessary! *3 winks* ;) ;) ;)

CrashTex

Too swift arrives as tardy as too slow
darreng505 said:
I didn't mean to imply I wanted to do this now or spend money on it. I just want to know the technical limitations with the car and the path forward if and when its necessary! *3 winks* ;) ;) ;)

That makes sense. :)

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
I agree with Gary on this too, my car is tuned and has no speed limiter but the fastest on track speed I have reached is 151 on Long Pond Straight at Pocono and 143 on the back straight at Watkins Glen. I do think you can go about 165 on the tri oval section of Daytona and that would be the fastest "road course" speed we would see. I regards to aero, I do feel the LS or WC splitter and the Tiger hood do have a measurable feel in combating front end lift, I feel very comfortable at high speed. Would not spend $375 on a tuner just to raise speed limit. Use the money for splitter or brake upgrades such as cooling ducts, rotors and pads.
Steve

Sesshomurai

steveespo said:
I agree with Gary on this too, my car is tuned and has no speed limiter but the fastest on track speed I have reached is 151 on Long Pond Straight at Pocono and 143 on the back straight at Watkins Glen. I do think you can go about 165 on the tri oval section of Daytona and that would be the fastest "road course" speed we would see. I regards to aero, I do feel the LS or WC splitter and the Tiger hood do have a measurable feel in combating front end lift, I feel very comfortable at high speed. Would not spend $375 on a tuner just to raise speed limit. Use the money for splitter or brake upgrades such as cooling ducts, rotors and pads.
Steve

Roger that! I got up to 135 on the front stretch at Summit main course last weekend and the car was very balanced during full braking. No pull at all.

Still on my short term upgrade list:

- brake cooling kit
- WC splitter
- Girodisc rotors

- Just put Hawk HP Plus pads on tonight and bedded them. Requires half the force of the stock pads to stop. At full force, the ABS couldn't keep up.

TMO Supporting Vendors