The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

spindle-to-strut hardware re-use?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I see that Ford wants the spindle-to-strut bolts replaced every time- do people ever re-use them? LMR want $75 for the 4 nuts and bolts! BTW, I'm asking about the newer, fine thread bolts.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
SoCal
I believe they are one-time-use hardware because the bolts are knurled going into the strut so the knurling might get damaged upon removal. I personally reused mine. I know other people who have also reused them.
Should you buy new ones? Yeah probably. Are you going to have a catastrophic failure if you don't? Probably not. (But if you do, it wasn't me who said it was ok 😂)

Bay Area
Oh here we go again. Another one time use bolt thread. Honestly, its up to you. I replace my one time use hardware since I use my car 97% of the time on the track. If I didn't, well I would probably reuse them. I have on other vehicles and have had no issues.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
One time use. All depends upon why they are one time use. If the bolt is torque to yield, pitch it. If it has thread locker from the factory, I don’t. I’ll clean the threads and maybe a little lock tite. All depends upon the application.

Last edited:

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
I reused mine many times and nothing ever broke. HOWEVER they started coming loose and screwed me more than once so I bought the new fine threaded bolts from MM and that fixed the problem.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years

Ludachris

Chris
Staff member
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Newcastle, CA
Found a previous thread on this subject here for more insights:

Norm Peterson

Corner Barstool Sitter
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
a few miles east of Philly
There's no 'angle' spec, so these fasteners at least aren't TTY. I put two or maybe three cycles on the original ones on my car (coarse thread) without issue but wasn't going to push it any further than that. The fine-thread fasteners that are in there now only have the initial installation "use".

I got my fine-thread set through Maximum Motorsports. I'd have to dig through my receipts to find out what I paid for them, though.

Norm

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic

Grant 302

from 2 1/2 years ago...

There's an updated bolt? These are from 2006 when I bought the car.

Yurp.

Here are the upgraded part numbers (fine thread):
W714652-S439 (bolts) & W714653-S900 (nuts) (Hyperlinks to Tasca)
The new fasteners are torqued to 166 ft-lbs.

The old part numbers (course thread):
W709870-S439 (bolts) & W711091-S900 (nuts)
The old fasteners are torqued to 148 ft-lbs.
I will also change those spindle to strut bolts....they have been on and off of there more than enough times. They are probably one time fasteners that I've used 50 times already.
Maximum Motorsport also has the new ones in a 'kit' available for ~$22/strut. (2 nuts and 2 bolts/kit get 2 per car)

There’s still a lot of info here for those willing to search for it. Or at least the good info does get parroted...sometimes.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
from 2 1/2 years ago...

There’s still a lot of info here for those willing to search for it. Or at least the good info does get parroted...sometimes.
Yup, that's how I found out about them.
That's the beauty of forums. Often you get good information. Sometimes though, not so much.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Amen to that. And like in this thread there’s like every opinion under the sun. At least here, the OP came away with a good solution.
Amen to that. And like in this thread there’s like every opinion under the sun. At least here, the OP came away with a good solution.
You're a smart guy with loads of good information. Many of us have benefited from that over the years including myself, and I am grateful for it. If you could just come to terms with the idea that just maybe you aren't always right I think everything would probably be okay.

Grant 302

You're a smart guy with loads of good information. Many of us have benefited from that over the years including myself, and I am grateful for it. If you could just come to terms with the idea that just maybe you aren't always right I think everything would probably be okay.

Thanks for that. I think our feelings on that are somewhat mutual. I always thought if we behave in a civil manner, we would be okay. Even if or when we disagree.

And I’m used to being wrong. Ask any married guy.

TMO Supporting Vendors