The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Sportline or prokit

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Just bought a 2012 LS, The car will not be a daily driver.. What would you guys recommend sportline or prokit? Also looking to put on Kenne bell, the catch is that i live in NY and it needs to pass emissions. Would it be a waste of money, as i cant delete the cats? Does putting on a supercharger throw codes?

Welcome to BMO. Sport lines for looks and ProKit for driving and tracking your Boss.

Sesshomurai

bigh3410 said:
Just bought a 2012 LS, The car will not be a daily driver.. What would you guys recommend sportline or prokit? Also looking to put on Kenne bell, the catch is that i live in NY and it needs to pass emissions. Would it be a waste of money, as i cant delete the cats? Does putting on a supercharger throw codes?

Putting a SC on won't throw codes if it's tuned properly. Just tell the tuner it needs to pass emissions and they won't tune it too rich.

Sesshomurai

Flyboygsxr said:
So are the sportlines or the prokit better for the track?

It's not that simple. I run sportlines and they perform great for me, but I had to add a lot of other adjustable components to design the suspension for this height level. Unless you're prepared to do that, a less aggressive spring drop might be a better first choice.

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland
the prokit run a bit less spring rate than the sportline...mainly to compensate for the reduced travel. darren is correct, the super-low stance exaggerates alignment issues. the prokit would require just some eccentric bolts(to bring camber back into spec), adjustable panhard and an alignment. the sportline would add to that, camber plates, adjustable 3rd link and bumpsteer kit.

the best performance will be with the sportlines due to the lower CG and the other fun stuff you have to add to make them work ;D

if you are interested in either, i can get you competitive pricing on all the components required for each.

Sesshomurai

bigh3410 said:
Would the watts link system, cure the alignment issue?

If you are referring to the need for rear lateral alignment when lowering a car both the panhard bar (adjustable kind) and watts link will provide for lateral alignment stability & correction. They are designed for this. The key difference between them is in their design where a PH bar is asymmetrical a watts link is symmetrical. Here's more info.

http://www.stangnet.com/mustang-forums/threads/deciding-on-suspension-panhard-bar-vs-watts-link.529011/

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland
the exaggerated alignment issues i referred to are entirely up front. lowering the front that much, compromises the geometry. specifically, it creates a lot of negative camber, which is beyond the limits of what the eccentric bolts can cure...so camber plates fix that issue. next, the lower stance can induce excessive bump steer. i say "can" because i have seen cars that do just fine and others that need bump steer kits after lowereing. its a guessing game because the factory positions of all the related components are not held with any tolerance (unless you consider +/- 1/4" a tolerance).

the rear is simpler. the lowered stance will push the axle to the side. an adjustable panhard bar brings it back to the center. the lower stance also turns the pinion centerline down. this can be a benefit, as this aids in traction, but too much of it prematurely wear out he driveshaft u-joints and cause more NVH. so, an adjustable 3rd link will bring the pinion angle right to where it needs to be.

the watts is just an all around good idea for any live axle car. it keeps the axle centered regardless of ride height and provides a consistant roll center, where the panhard bar has no consistant roll center, which does nothing to balance a chassis.

TMO Supporting Vendors