The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Spray plastic coating?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

My Boss will soon be commuting the highway every weekend and I'm looking for something to protect the paint. I just found this: http://www.aacustomshield.com/ I might give it a try, says it comes in clear. Has anybody used this or this type of product? I'd like to coat the front bumper mainly, I'm planning to get the Tiger hood in a few months so the hood is not a major concern. Any input would be great.

LindsayEOD said:
Just out of curiosity, why not get a clear bra? That stuff looks interesting but reminds me of plasti-dip.

Based on the cost, and the fact I don't have a good clear bra installer in my area, I'm looking for alternatives. My front bumper also has a few minor nicks. My other option is to have the front bumper re-painted down the road (I'm guessing the cost of re-spray and clear bra is probably about the same).

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Just get a clear bra, the protection is worth the cost. I got mine at AZ Custom Shop on 53rd ave in Glendale right behind Sanderson Ford.

I think mine was $700 installed including the first foot of the hood and fenders, front fascia, mirrors, rear door edges, and door handle pockets.

I bet to get the bumper prepped and re-sprayed, it would be more than the clear bra. What area are you from? I bet someone on this forum knows a good local installer for you. I just think that spray looks a little "gimmicky" and I can vouch for a quality clear bra. Definitely worth the money over time.

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
Beware, they are not all created equal, nor are the quality of installations. I would go with nothing other than 3M Ventureshield (http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/Scotchgard_Paint_Protection/Film/Products/VentureShield/?WT.mc_id=www.ventureshield.com). There is less expensive materials, but they don't last or look like Ventureshield. Installers who don't carry it will say their stuff is just as good.

If you are in a pinch or don't want to go for the expensive alternative, check out http://store.tracwrap.com/categories/TRACWRAP/. It works very well and if you're talented at installation it doesn't look that bad. It looks nothing like a good clear bra installation though - which you won't even see.

Tucson 302

2013 Black LS #439
Hey AZBoss302 let me know who you end up using. I too live in Tucson and just bought my 13 Boss LS last weekend and would appreciate the 411

TMO Supporting Vendors