The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Spring Fling at Road America April 25-26th

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TymeSlayer

Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
The Northwoods Shelby Club is putting on a two day track event at Road America April 25th and 26th and I along with Mr. Pemberton and hopefully Mr. TMSBOSS as well will be there.

Let's see if we can get a few more of you TMO boys to join us in a chance to track your Mustang on one of the premier road courses in the US. It's $425 for both days and a $20 fee for the membership to the MWSC.

http://www.nwshelbyclub.com/spring-fling-road-america/

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Like COTA , this is a huge " Bucket List," road course for Track Rats and it also will be as much as a third less to run for a couple of days. There are a lot of cool things to do in the area and the small town of Elkhart Lake is very welcoming and fun for racers to relax, party, and get to. It is a super, super short drive from the RA complex to Siebken's Resort, the Osthoff Hotel, or the Shore Club Wisconsin. Now BlackBoss might even show up and he is super friendly and almost always waves as he blows by the rest of the participants. He thinks we all like him , when in reality we all have " Car Lust," for his GT 350R race build. You practically need a jock strap on when he starts that monster up as it is .....exciting! Plenty of Mustang guys on here fairly close by, so do consider signed up in April, as great time to get the car out for a shakedown.

.....of course, don't forget to wear your TMO T Shirts!

Last edited:

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Cool , and we will be happy to have you join our merry little band of Mustang Maniacs. You probably better get a TMO T-Shirt as we all have one, and it guarantees a 10hp gain -- plus Tyme and I can recognize you without peering through our Bifocals.

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
There are 4 groups, from beginners to advanced and most of the time there are few pure race cars there, though plenty of TrackRats. Active Time Trialers and Racers often spend their money to go to their Club Events ( whether SCCA, NASA, etc. ), so these events often find more folks just interested in HPDEs ( often called both High Performance Driver Education or High Performance Driving Event ). These encourage newcomers and will have provisions to help those drivers starting or with limited experience. So if you sign up you will be in a beginning group , if that is your experience level, and of course Tyme, myself and other TMO folks will also be there to encourage , support and help you .......................drink beer and eat brats!

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Good idea , but there may not be many events being held prior to RA? The Northwood Shelby Group do work drivers at a slow pace , so he would enjoy and there is no pressure to drive above your level. No trophies , no times, just a learning experience.

So whose going to ride with me lolol. Yes this will be my first track event. I was planning on doing a day school at autobahn because its close, and wait til i have a trailer to do elkhart......but if one of you takes me under your wing....i’ll def do it. That track is amazing

Damnit i just realized its on my weekend with my daughter (shes 5).....i don't know how this would work out for me. Maybe i can have someone follow me.

Last edited:
I know, i’d have to drive her in the shelby with a kids seat in back, and then figure out whose going to watch her lol.

i’ll figure it out. I want to get her into racing.

ok, joined nw shelby
Did online tech.
i just got my sa2015 bell helmet
Shelby has 400 miles on it

now what

Last edited:

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
You are still in break in period, so just wait for the warmer days, keep the car around 4000 rpms max, and I would personally change the oil at around 500-750 the first time.

We will put you under our chins ( since none of us have wings , but double and triple chins are rampant), and keep in mind track time when you begin is more about learning the fine points and working on lines , that obviously are a bit hard to do on the street ( at speed at least ).

Thanks guys. I have been lurking this site for over 2 months since eightlug told me about this site. You are all a really great group of guys making me feel comfortable being a newbie, unlike another mustang site i no longer frequent. The build threads are an absolute motivation to do every track day/hpde this year i can.....but focus on safety and driving the car correctly.

I think this is too ambitious for my first time AND with my daughter. I am signing up for a 1 day performance school at autobahn in chicago asap with the car and have a buddy that does HPDE events......so i am going to go with him to everyone.

i saw nwsc did a get together at autobahn chicago last year.

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Well, ok, but you have no excuse not to sign up for the Mustang Roundup in October, as there will be a corral of Ponies there, as well as quite a few Ford Engineers ( who run their own Mustangs ). Check out www.racemph.com and there is instruction also and plenty of newcomers hit this event every year.

Feel free to call or email for any information about this shindig, as it should be on your " Bucket List " of things to do with the GT 350!!

[email protected]
Cell 402-677-5864
If for some reason I don't answer, either leave me a message or text me who you are and I will get back as soon as I can.

TMO Supporting Vendors