The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Spring startup

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I have not started my car all winter. It has been in storage, layup mode. It will be the first year I have stored it without periodic startups. I'm hoping my dryer sheet and full tank of gas will prove successful as a moisture/critter prophylactic. So as far as cranking it over for the first time, what should I do, or know before I damage an unlubed engine?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Make sure the battery is charged fully.

Before you turn the key, press and hold both the clutch and throttle all the way to the floor. Hold both pedals down and crank the car with the key for 10 seconds. With both pedals down the engine will not fire but it will build oil pressure.

After 10 seconds of cranking, either let off the gas to fire the engine, or stop cranking, release the gas fully, and turn the key to fire normally.

ArizonaBOSS said:
Before you turn the key, press and hold both the clutch and throttle all the way to the floor. Hold both pedals down and crank the car with the key for 10 seconds. With both pedals down the engine will not fire but it will build oil pressure.

Interesting. I was not aware of this function.

Spring startup is not an issue for me this year. Since I just got the Boss at the end of October I've been driving it whenever possible!

Didn't know about the clutch/gas on the floor deal either. How did that come to be a feature?

Full tank of gas is good but you should still use a storage additive like StayBil or fill it with racing fuel which tends to stay good. Today's E10 mixed fuel will suck up moisture and actually starts to go sour in about 45 days.
It will still fire but can leave some gunk in the injectors.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
k98dave said:
Didn't know about the clutch/gas on the floor deal either. How did that come to be a feature?

I don't know, but it's what I use to "prime" my race car when it has been sitting for a while between events.
Typically after 7 seconds or so it will achieve 40-50psi (I can see this on my AIM dash) and I let off the gas pedal to fire it.

Better to build pressure at cranking speed than to build it at idle speed (albeit quickly).

That is just what I was looking for. Thanks ArizonaBOSS

I also did fill the tank with the Stabil added.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My 2013 doesn't fire up after I let off the gas, it just keeps cranking. I have to turn the ignition off and start it again normally to fire it up. Just fyi, in case you have a 2013.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
You can also crank until the idiot light goes out before lifting the gas pedal. I was surprised that worked the other week.

Drew is right, 10 secs of cranking should fill an empty oil galley.

Grant 302 said:
You can also crank until the idiot light goes out before lifting the gas pedal. I was surprised that worked the other week.

Drew is right, 10 secs of cranking should fill an empty oil galley.

Would this be a good practice for a less frequently driven Boss?

My Focus does the same thing. The gas pedal on all vehicles is fly-by-wire now, so it's probably in there as a safety measure in case the pedal is erroneously telling the ECO you want full throttle. The side benefit is being able to get the oil flowing first, but I really doubt that was the primary intent of the behavior.

acole3 said:
Would this be a good practice for a less frequently driven Boss?
I would think so. I would also use oil that has storage protection. Driven FR50 has this feature blended in. There may be other brands that have this as well, I'm just not sure. They recommend changing the oil, running it for about 5 min and then leave it alone until winter is over......

MA
My 2004 Cobra also had this function, if I remember right it at that time it was a procedure in the owners manual as a way to start a flooded engine.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel