The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Spring Time

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
I am in the process of replacing the valve springs in my Boss. I am using the victory spring compressor, nice tool.

The problem I am running into is the spring do NOT all come out past the cam. Specifically, the exhaust spring on the forward cylinder drivers side will not clear the cam. The cam has a machined area near the cam lobe which blocks the path to remove the spring.

Has anyone else run into this issue? Fixes??

Thanks

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
I am in the process of replacing the valve springs in my Boss. I am using the victory spring compressor, nice tool.

The problem I am running into is the spring do NOT all come out past the cam. Specifically, the exhaust spring on the forward cylinder drivers side will not clear the cam. The cam has a machined area near the cam lobe which blocks the path to remove the spring.

Has anyone else run into this issue? Fixes??

Thanks
I had this issue on my Gen 1 2011 car. The solution was to pack the area with paper towels and tape, have a helper with a shop vac and die grind the casting to get that 1 spring out. Not much needs to be removed. Wish I had a pic but I do not. Engine ran for 4 seasons and won an Arizona ST-2 Championship after that procedure so dig in. Taking the cams out and having to redo the timing is a much bigger PITA in my opinion.
Steve

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
Steve

Thanks

The spring "Almost" come out as is, almost.

Ill take a look and see if the cams are coming out. I need to pull the primary chains to install pump and sprocket anyway.
Oh, if you are pulling the chains, pump and sprocket anyway then by all means take the cams out. It is not too bad, get new cam cap bolts either Ford OEM or ARP makes a set.

If you returned it they’d probably misplace it anyway.

my ex wife called me last night saying we were eligible when she checked the gov website.....i thought i made too much but if theyre sending us back 3k to split.....those sport cup 2’s just paid for themselves lol

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel