The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Springs without lowering

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Can someone recommend a light/beginner track oriented springs without lowering the car? This is for my daughters '11 V6 which she drives as daily driver and she already have issues clearing some entrance ramps (even at angle approach). The lowest drop springs I was able to find are Eibach PRO-KIT Performance Springs which still give 1" drop.

Thank you,

Vadim

PS: I most likely will go with Koni STR.T dumpers

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Philly Metro Area
The Roush lowering springs offer less drop. They are advertised as .5 drop. I have them with my Koni Yellows and its about a .75 drop.

https://www.americanmuscle.com/roush-lowering-springs-0514-gt.html

Be aware the advertised drops are with stock springs. On my Koni Yellows, the spring perch is a little lower than stock so you have to add that to the spring drop. Problem is, I don't know any strut companies that advertise any drop numbers.

The drops are also for a V8. Your drop may be less due to the lighter V6.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
A few I would consider are:
Steeda Boss springs
Stock GT - these were used on the V6 PP in 2012 with the GT sway bars
Stock Boss
Stock Brembo GT / GT PP
BMR GT500 handling springs SP072 (IIRC)

Some of these may raise the front a little bit like Coz says because the nose of the V6 is lighter. Like 80 lbs. just for the engine.

I bet you can find a set of used Boss or Brembo pack springs for cheap.

I didn’t think about stock Boss or GT, thank you for the idea let me look into details (is anyone selling one ;) ). This is convertible V6, so weight saved on the engine will be compensated with body weight ;).

I did looked into Roush (404472), it is .5 on coupe V6, so I would expect .75 on convertible, Eibach is 1” on convertible.

A few I would consider are:
Steeda Boss springs
Stock GT - these were used on the V6 PP in 2012 with the GT sway bars
Stock Boss
Stock Brembo GT / GT PP
BMR GT500 handling springs SP072 (IIRC)

Some of these may raise the front a little bit like Coz says because the nose of the V6 is lighter. Like 80 lbs. just for the engine.

Thank you, this gave me a starting point for lot's of searching and reading (including https://trackmustangsonline.com/threads/s197-spring-and-sway-bar-rates.13152/) and now I need some recommendations ;).

I am more or less trying to choose between Boss OEM, Steeda Comp Springs Boss 302 555-8245 and BMR GT500 Handling SP073/SP074 (update for SP072). Based on spring rates, I am not sure Boss will give that much improvement comparing to her current, Steeda claims "Ride quality nearly equal to factory ride quality - no compromises!" amd BMR says that ride will be firmer. However, in the real live, what should she expect from these springs? Given that I need alignment and shocks as well, saving on Boss OEM is nice but saving is about the cost of alignment...

My daughter is [finally] will be taking car to Thunderhill in September and hopefully to Laguna after that, but it is her daily driver as well. For shocks I am thinking 2010 Koni STR.T (orange) + GT500 mount (almost same price as 2011 Koni STR.T).

Thoughts? Recommendations? (sorry if this was discussed and but could not find discussions).

Vadim

I’ve had a boss stock as well with the boss Steeda springs. If it’s a daily driver I would recommend the boss springs. They will have more height and will be more forgiving along with a lower cost!

Thank you, this gave me a starting point for lot's of searching and reading (including https://trackmustangsonline.com/threads/s197-spring-and-sway-bar-rates.13152/) and now I need some recommendations ;).

I am more or less trying to choose between Boss OEM, Steeda Comp Springs Boss 302 555-8245 and BMR GT500 Handling SP073/SP074 (update for SP072). Based on spring rates, I am not sure Boss will give that much improvement comparing to her current, Steeda claims "Ride quality nearly equal to factory ride quality - no compromises!" amd BMR says that ride will be firmer. However, in the real live, what should she expect from these springs? Given that I need alignment and shocks as well, saving on Boss OEM is nice but saving is about the cost of alignment...

My daughter is [finally] will be taking car to Thunderhill in September and hopefully to Laguna after that, but it is her daily driver as well. For shocks I am thinking 2010 Koni STR.T (orange) + GT500 mount (almost same price as 2011 Koni STR.T).

Thoughts? Recommendations? (sorry if this was discussed and but could not find discussions).

Vadim

Grant 302

just checked, it is P235/50ZR18 Pirelli P Zero Nero All Season
Should be a good lesson in car control, then! How did your son do on them? Grip limits are pretty low, from what I remember. Been years since I drove a friend's car with them.
P strings would do 1" drop, right?
Yes, and probably less up front for the V6.

Should be a good lesson in car control, then! How did your son do on them? Grip limits are pretty low, from what I remember. Been years since I drove a friend's car with them.
My son tracked it back when he was 16, he had fun, pushed the car, but afterward he was not really into coming back. My daughter is now 16, so she does need lesson in car control as well, but I have a feeling that she will want to comeback ;)
Yes, and probably less up front for the V6.
it is convertible, so probably would about the same as GT coupe. As for camber, since I don't want to go too aggressive, 1.4 degree is not an issue, right? (if I remember right, recommended is 0.8-1.5)

I am also been reading that Steeda has larger drop on GT vs Boss (listed drop is for Boss), why would that be? Based on https://lmr.com/products/2012-Mustang-Specifications boss is heavier.

Grant 302

Understood that it's about the same weight as a GT coupe, but more of the weight should be over the rear axle. Maybe 50 to 80 lbs. less over the nose.

I wouldn't worry about the camber too much. Should be okay at the maximum you can get.

The difference in 'drop' in GT vs. Boss is because the Boss front starts about 1/2" lower.

I didn’t think about stock Boss or GT, thank you for the idea let me look into details (is anyone selling one ;) ). This is convertible V6, so weight saved on the engine will be compensated with body weight ;).

I did looked into Roush (404472), it is .5 on coupe V6, so I would expect .75 on convertible, Eibach is 1” on convertible.

I’ll sell my stock boss springs. They have about 9k miles on them. PM me if you’re interested.

TMO Supporting Vendors