The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Springs without lowering

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maybe it's just me but before you put all this money into suspension, I think you should upgrade the wheels and tires first. Then at least the brake pads.

The P-Zero Nero tires suck on the track. Ask me how I know.

In general I agree with you, but she does need new shocks so I am using an opportunity to upgrade to better parts. Brake pads are updated (Hawk HPS 5.0).

But how do you know about tires?

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Philly Metro Area
But how do you know about tires?

My very first track day with my '14 was at New Jersey Motorsports Park-Lightning on a hot July day. I had upgraded my pads and fluid (stock base calipers at that time) but kept my 18x8 wheels with the 235/50-18 P-Zero Nero's.

Driver error certainly contributed to my problem but the tires did not help since they were pretty greasy by noontime. They were squirrely but I didn't get the hint. This track day had paced laps so I wasn't even pushing it but on the 3rd session going into Turn 5 (a blind uphill curve with negative camber on the downside) I didn't have a good line into the turn (too wide). Instead of letting it track out on the left side runout, I tried to stay in the turn and spun out on the other side.

I see you're in the Bay Area so temps may be toasty for those tires. And I hope those aren't 8-9 year old tires that came with the car in 2011!

My very first track day with my '14 was at New Jersey Motorsports Park-Lightning on a hot July day. I had upgraded my pads and fluid (stock base calipers at that time) but kept my 18x8 wheels with the 235/50-18 P-Zero Nero's.

Driver error certainly contributed to my problem but the tires did not help since they were pretty greasy by noontime. They were squirrely but I didn't get the hint. This track day had paced laps so I wasn't even pushing it but on the 3rd session going into Turn 5 (a blind uphill curve with negative camber on the downside) I didn't have a good line into the turn (too wide). Instead of letting it track out on the left side runout, I tried to stay in the turn and spun out on the other side.

I see you're in the Bay Area so temps may be toasty for those tires. And I hope those aren't 8-9 year old tires that came with the car in 2011!
Good story to learn on, thank you. I don’t think she is that technically to push car, but I’ll have to watch.

Now thinking more about this (and taking her car for a drive), I am thinking of replacing springs with boss oem (good lesson on how suspension looks/works for her) and waiting to see how serous she is about tracking the car. Current springs are way to soft but I think shocks can survive some more.

Tires are about 3 years old and have about 10-15K on them, so they are not bad, but they are not track tires for sure ;)

Bay Area
Man, why didn’t you ask for springs a couple months ago? I had stock Boss springs I couldn’t give away. They ended up in my recycling bin. Hope you find a set that isn’t too pricey

First at all, thanks everyone for help.

I ended up installing Boss springs (thanks Joe) and keeping the rest of the components as is for now (planing to install Boss sway bars and shocks/struts in the future). Boss springs in uncompressed form are much smaller (see photo of the front, forgot to snap one of the back), but car is riding 1/2" higher in the front and about the same on the back, comparing to EOM (somewhat surprised).

I am taking my daughter to Thunderhill on Sep 15th, so will update on handling.

Vadim

Attachments

• IMG_3866.jpg
    IMG_3866.jpg
    700.8 KB · Views: 93

TMO Supporting Vendors