The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Springs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

All, I hope this particular discussion on springs hasn't been discussed, but I want to get some advice. As many of you out there, I would prefer for the rear of my Boss to be a little lower, maybe an inch max. However, I haven't tracked my car(yet), and even if/when I do, I will be a newbie. With that said there are some springs available now that lower the car and improve handling supposedly. Like others I am waiting for Boss specific FRPP springs. My main question is, to solve the rear height issue do you handling experts out there think just installing say the steeda Boss REAR springs without installing the front would hurt overall handling balance. Like I said, I'm no road race expert, but I do like the balance of the Boss now and wouldnt want to change it dramatically. But I would like to get rid of that what seems six inch tire/fender gap in the rear.

Thanks.

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
M-5300-P
2027.jpg
WoodBrothers001.jpg

Lowered my Brembo GT 1.125" F/1.0" R Springs are slightly stiffer front and rear than Boss. Ride is still decent, little more chop over expansion strips etc. Hanling is super with less brake dive and better transition reaction. my car pulls 1.39g on the track and I think it has even more with a better driver.
Steve

steveespo said:
M-5300-P
2027.jpg
WoodBrothers001.jpg

Lowered my Brembo GT 1.125" F/1.0" R Springs are slightly stiffer front and rear than Boss. Ride is still decent, little more chop over expansion strips etc. Hanling is super with less brake dive and better transition reaction. my car pulls 1.39g on the track and I think it has even more with a better driver.

My main question is, to solve the rear height issue do you handling experts out there think just installing say the steeda Boss REAR springs without installing the front would hurt overall handling balance.
Steve

Tom, I've looked into solving the same problem. I've found no springs that offer a spring rate close enough to factory specs to lower the rear without upsetting the balance if you only changed the rear springs. I'm considering the Steeda Boss springs as well, but for now I'm going to wait.

HackBoss302 said:
Tom, I've looked into solving the same problem. I've found no springs that offer a spring rate close enough to factory specs to lower the rear without upsetting the balance if you only changed the rear springs. I'm considering the Steeda Boss springs as well, but for now I'm going to wait.

Thanks Hack. I am happy with the front stance and spring rate, but as you said it will totally change the rear as far as spring rate. So I'm at a loss. I don't really want to lower or even replace the fronts but for sure want to level the look in the rear. I guess I'll wait and see what comes out of FRPP.

Tflong24 said:
I am happy with the front stance and spring rate, but as you said it will totally change the rear as far as spring rate. So I'm at a loss. I don't really want to lower or even replace the fronts but for sure want to level the look in the rear. I guess I'll wait and see what comes out of FRPP.
The P springs will lower your car 1' in the back and about a 1/4" in the front. The Boss lowering springs are not dead but I have no idea when they will be available. We've been waiting for a while but I don't think it's going to be much longer.

Tflong24 said:
HackBoss302 said:

Thanks Hack. I am happy with the front stance and spring rate, but as you said it will totally change the rear as far as spring rate. So I'm at a loss. I don't really want to lower or even replace the fronts but for sure want to level the look in the rear. I guess I'll wait and see what comes out of FRPP.

The 5300-P springs will work great for you if you want something now....

adam81 said:
Tflong24 said:
HackBoss302 said:

The 5300-P springs will work great for you if you want something now....

Are you talking about just the rears. My main question from the beginning is whether I can lower the rear ONLY without upsetting the handling balance. I am happy with the front height.

Ok just putting this out there you could try a 55D spring . Its a rear only spring set they go for about $ 120 dollars and you can get at http://www.brembo50.com/ . This spring is made to lower the back of the Brembo GT 1/2 inch. It got the same working srping rate as the stock rear bermbo GT spring has over it travel .The spring should be a little sofer than the Boss 302 rear spring is and I am thinking it may make the car understeer a little more than the stock spring dose . But at $120 dollars it really easy to change the rear spring ( may take a half hour to get it done) you could give it a try and see if you like the way they work and the way the car looks. If you dont like them it not like you are out a lot of money and it easy to put the stock springs back in .

On my brembo GT i run the stock Brembo front spring with the 55D spring in the back with some Koni STR.t shock & sturts and for me it make a great DD set up.

300AGT said:
Ok just putting this out there you could try a 55D spring . Its a rear only spring set they go for about $ 120 dollars and you can get at http://www.brembo50.com/ . This spring is made to lower the back of the Brembo GT 1/2 inch. It got the same working srping rate as the stock rear bermbo GT spring has over it travel .The spring should be a little sofer than the Boss 302 rear spring is and I am thinking it may make the car understeer a little more than the stock spring dose . But at $120 dollars it really easy to change the rear spring ( may take a half hour to get it done) you could give it a try and see if you like the way they work and the way the car looks. If you dont like them it not like you are out a lot of money and it easy to put the stock springs back in .

On my brembo GT i run the stock Brembo front spring with the 55D spring in the back with some Koni STR.t shock & sturts and for me it make a great DD set up.

300AGT, thanks for the advise. I am looking for about a 1" drop in the rear. What I think I might end up doing is either waiting on FRPP Boss springs and just installing the rears, or do the same with the Steeda Boss springs if FRPP never comes through. I know this may change handling some, but i am not a pro driver, so I doubt I will notice that much. As long as the car stays what I consider "loose" prone, I will be happy. I have yet to make my car push, but it sure is easy to get the rear out.

I feel the same way as Tfong24. just want to lower the car a little. Not an avid road racer but will track it alittle for fun. More interested in looks without hurting the car. I am leaning to the ford racing p springs at this time. My car will be here in 2 weeks. I know it sits too high, have seen a few .

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
300AGT said:

how do you get them for 120? the site says 139.99 I assume that shipping is extra?

Great post and Info guys, question I have on lowering the rear with the "P springs", Steeda or the 55D do you have to make an adjustment to the panhard bar, or will the factory bar and setting be ok?

T1000 said:
Great post and Info guys, question I have on lowering the rear with the "P springs", Steeda or the 55D do you have to make an adjustment to the panhard bar, or will the factory bar and setting be ok?

With the P springs you need to get an adjustable panhard to center the rear. I don't know about the others but would assume it is the same. IMHO, I think the Ford Racing parts are the way to go. It seems to me they have be track tested more then any others, I could be wrong but that is what I have seen.

Sorry i got one the first sets of 55D spring and they were $119.00 then. I quest they when up in price from when i got mine. There no need for a adjustable panhard bar with the 55D spring .

TMO Supporting Vendors