The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Square vs stagger

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Looking at new wheels and wondering if I should go 285 square or 285 front and 305 rear? I use car for both autocross and HPDE plus 3000 street miles in the summer.

GT Track Pack with springs and koni's.

Thoughts?

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
I would really recomend going 305 square or bigger... Or at the very least 295. Our cars need all the rubber they can get! Not to mention that a square setup is great for rotation etc that can save you $$$$ as well.

Norm Peterson

Corner Barstool Sitter
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
a few miles east of Philly
Looking at new wheels and wondering if I should go 285 square or 285 front and 305 rear?
Worth reviewing the last post in your 'Oversteer' thread, unless you're going to go really crazy with wheels wider than 11" (which would take 285/xx's off the table).

The car in my sig wears 285/35's on 18x11's, and (hopefully) at some point that's not going to be quite enough. Turns out that the section width of a 305 as mounted on 11" wides isn't as much wider than a 285 on 11's as the tire size numbers suggest, as the 285's are stretched outward by about 10 mm. This is mostly important for fitment, because strut-side tire & wheel clearance gets a bit skimpy.

OE mfrs are starting to put 305/30's on 11" wide wheels as production stock.

While I'm sure it's possible to tune your car around either a 'square' or 'staggered' wheel/tire setup, a front-heavy car without a power adder doesn't have nearly as much reason to stagger. The front end is the heavy end, and it's the end that gets the cornering started in the first place.

Norm

Norm Peterson

Corner Barstool Sitter
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
a few miles east of Philly
Should, though the fronts would definitely require spacers (WAG - 3/4" or 20mm) and you might have to trim the rear shock boots a bit. I also trimmed the rear tiedown brackets, this not being absolutely necessary but those 'bumps' can get in the way of easy tire removal.

Norm

Why not go with 18's?

Don't want to go shorter. I would need to shift 4th a lot more often tracks i run. Price point is great for this flow formed wheel.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel