The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Squeeking pinion seal

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I was just wondering if anyone has had a squeek coming from their pinion seal. I believe it's from the plastic dust boot that interfaces into the seal to help with debris. I can lube it and it will go away for a week or so and then come right back. It only squeeks for the first 2 minutes if driving and once warm it goes away. Has anyone had any fixes or suggestions for this? Thanks.

carver

breaker of wrenches
ontario
I was just wondering if anyone has had a squeek coming from their pinion seal. I believe it's from the plastic dust boot that interfaces into the seal to help with debris. I can lube it and it will go away for a week or so and then come right back. It only squeeks for the first 2 minutes if driving and once warm it goes away. Has anyone had any fixes or suggestions for this? Thanks.

My dang car is so loud I can hardly here the radio ....so hearing a squeak is hopeless ! LOL :rolleyes: Maybe a little dab of white lithium grease might do it , Are you sure it's not the u-joint ?

Well it did it before when I had the OEM driveshaft in it and it still does it with an aftermarket one so I don't think it's a u-joint. I have tried lubing the seal but it only temporarily quiets it down. I believe the yoke may be the issue, it's had multiple rebuilds....long story but I think the yoke may be worn out and sitting to far into the seal.

Mine does this in cold weather for a minute or so. It seems to taper off as the years wear on. Its benign

Yeah it's just super annoying and embarassing when the neighbours are staring as the car squeeks away. What's weird is that we have a bunch of F150s at work and none of them have the issue even after pinion seal replacements. It looks like the exact same seal.

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
Is a ‘Squeaky Pinion Seal’ a known issue on your MY Mustang?

Sorry, but to me this is the strangest thing to read about. I’m not saying I doubt you, it’s not that at all, it just a very strange thing for a Pinion Seal to make an audible noise that can be heard above the rumble of your exhaust system.

I’m interested in how you resolve this, please let me know.

All the best,

Is a ‘Squeaky Pinion Seal’ a known issue on your MY Mustang?

Sorry, but to me this is the strangest thing to read about. I’m not saying I doubt you, it’s not that at all, it just a very strange thing for a Pinion Seal to make an audible noise that can be heard above the rumble of your exhaust system.
I’m interested in how you resolve this, please let me know.

All the best,

Yeah I know it's super weird but the plastic dust shield that's part of the yoke interfaces into the seal to keep the large grit out and mine squeeks. That part when lubed stops the squeeking instantly and then comes back as the lube dries or gets flung out. I don't know what the deal is here and I agree it's super weird. This is a photo from Google and you can see the part I'm talking about, it's the ribbed part that goes into the seal.

P1080624.JPG

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel