The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Srsly, Ford

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
If the $11k car was a Mach E. They will still be money ahead.
if they had bought a GT350 with a bad motor the bill would even more.
Buying a used car without having a competent inspection done has always been risky.
Live and learn. If you are lucky, you will learn from others mistakes.

More importantly is the trickle down effect, the car is 8 years old, the battery is shot and the car is useless, so it's scrap. Who buys used cars? lower income, middle/lower income, first time buyers, it was the same deal with the old "cash for clunkers" scam, it took away vehicles from the poor and middle class and first time buyers. New car buyers(even though it appears they will be buying one about every 9 to 10 years) is not the real issue here, it's forced compliance through economic means, the poor and middle class don't really need private transportation anyway, they can ride the bus or walk.... sucks to be you

It all comes down to due diligence and not purchasing vehicles ( or anything ) on emotion. I have no sympathy for the buyers. I look at the article and go " there ya go - how much research did you do? If you don't understand find someone that is trustworthy and does. Oh wait there is no long term data then stay away. Common sense". I know as well as any one here that batteries do not last forever... If I would ever buy an EV (never) I would do that research to see if there is a specific test for the batteries just like they do with regular car batteries. If no test available - no buy....

Last edited:
It all comes down to due diligence and not purchasing vehicles ( or anything ) on emotion. I have no sympathy for the buyers. I look at the article and go " there ya go - how much research did you do? If you don't understand find someone that is trustworthy and does. Oh wait there is no long term data then stay away. Common sense". I know as well as any one here that batteries do not last forever... If I would ever buy an EV (never) I would do that research to see if there is a specific test for the batteries just like they do with regular car batteries. If no test available - no buy....
I had a 2012 Leaf. It’s easier to do diligence in the purchase because you can get a battery report. Your ICE engine is much more of a guess.

EVs have a low cost per mile too, but they defer all the maintenance costs to the one big smack at pack replacement.

I had a 2012 Leaf. It’s easier to do diligence in the purchase because you can get a battery report. Your ICE engine is much more of a guess.

EVs have a low cost per mile too, but they defer all the maintenance costs to the one big smack at pack replacement.
I'm sure they have a lower cost per mile simply because of consumables like oil and grease, however, if someone has done a comparative study between an ICE and an electric using the same load carrying criteria I have yet to see it. Moving a ton of freight 20 miles for a gallon of gas seems pretty reasonable when it was 2.25 a gallon. Now that the price of gas has been artificially inflated
( thanks, you know who) it may not be as competitive ( which is part of the plan IMO). But it still doesn't matter, my 197K F150 can be repowerred ($3600 plus labor if I don't do it). It is 12 years old, what is that in battery years? at least 1, maybe 2, at say $8K a pop, prolly more.
Add in lack of range and towing capacity and it is still no habla.

Love how all the politically correct folks think they are doing the world a favor when buying an electric. Meanwhile, they have no clue about the environmental havoc that is being wreaked in 3rd world countries to get lithium.
Smug, vacuous idiots.
Actually, they probably are. But maybe not how they think.

Diversifying our energy usage is a strategic advantage for our country. The situation in the Ukraine is a good example of why, but so are other ones you can name. And while climate models are always wrong, I think it is prudent to remember, there could be a tipping point in pollution. It’s not the sea going up 1mm yr I am talking about. It’s going up a foot in a year kind of thing. The local pollution in commuting corridors is pretty nasty too, ask a cyclist. Getting rid of some of that concentrated pollution would be good.

Long haul freight and use does not yet have an obvious and easy solution as Blacksheep mentions, and we’ll continue to need fossil fuels for this, for plastics and other industrial uses. However, most car trips in the US are very short, and an EV is a great solution. Transitioning part of our fleet to electric power is good for our environment and strategic strength. I am always baffled our political leaders don’t point out all of this.

Earlier in the thread the high costs/higher risks of EVs (esp 10 years ago when this was really getting going) was pointed out. Rich people buying social capital with early EVs is perfect- they can absorb the costs much more easily than families with less money. Sure, some are smug assholes, but they were when they had their Hummer before anyway.

A lot of this depends on the community, we have a place down here called "the villages" it is a sprawling, ever growing community, whether it's been good or bad for Florida is up to some debate, however, one thing they have mastered is community planning, they have master planned everything from sewer lines to fire stations, to community centers, it's like Disney World for adults, it also has paths for golf carts as well as vehicles. They once made a statement that by the time they are done you'll be able to take a golf cart from the Villages (basically I75) to Orlando. Because of thus, what @Bouncing Soul says is absolutely true, It's a perfect place for EVs. Unlike most of Florida, which was developed haphazardly, these guys actually had a plan, so an EV, in this case gold carts, make perfect sense. EVs definitely have their place, but being forced into something that is not even close to being fully developed is not the way to go. It will beat the consumers to death, especially the lower income ones.

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Huntsville, AL
If you watch or read any of the "REAL" news outlets, you will quickly learn that the current administration cares absolutely nothing about mid to lower income consumers. They are being pulled by the LEFT to accomplish the goals they deem fit for themselves. To Hell with everyone else. We don't mater to them. The majority of them likely have millions invested in the technologies they are trying to force down our throats.

Love how all the politically correct folks think they are doing the world a favor when buying an electric. Meanwhile, they have no clue about the environmental havoc that is being wreaked in 3rd world countries to get lithium.
Smug, vacuous idiots.
It's an an instant gratification culture. None of these political correct donkeys see the entire full scope of EV - the mining and potential fallout, the electric grid that would not be able to handle a massive load, the increased fossil fuels that generate the electricity ( nuclear, solar and wind energy is just a small fraction), the process of recycling car batteries is not cost effective - check out the screen shot, lithium is finite - eventually the prices will skyrocket if they do not develop a cost effective recycling process ( that will never happen unless the batteries end up being a completely new construction) . For me personally I can not see the cost effectiveness for EV. 10-15 extra grand for a decent EV - that's 40-60,000 fuel miles at 20mpg at $5/gal. They say you save 8 grand in maintenance on an EV over 200,000 miles. The batteries are not lasting nearly that long- factor that in. The EV numbers are screwed. You can make studies look anyway you want depending on how selective you grab data. As for global warming are we creating the warming- ya some or are wei n the continued uptrend post ice age or both. They are cyclical. We did not see the hottest point post 2 ice ages ago....Screenshot_20220722-154633.png

Last edited:
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Huntsville, AL
We met with some Nissan executives this week on a program. I asked them off the cuff what the landscape really looked like. There response was no manufacturer will likely achieve the goals currently being tossed around. They also stated they don't see a future where they or anyone could warrant anything over 100K miles. Most today don't make it that far. Extreme conditions in either direction effect that dramatically. Also seemed heavy duty EV's (think Super Duty trucks) are likely not an option for anything long distance in our lifetime.

Last edited:

TMO Supporting Vendors