The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

ST43’s on the Rear?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Searching but not coming up with an answer to this question specifically. I’ve decided I want to try ST43’s for the front, but unclear on whether ST43’s on the rear work well as well. It seems these pads have a lower working temperature than many race pads so seems like they could do well on the rear but would like to hear a report from anyone who has done so. I called Porterfield however didn’t receive much guidance. Thanks in advance.

Apex Wheels

Race Proven, Street Approved
Supporting Vendor
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Bay Area, CA
I'm currently using ST45 rear pads and it works pretty well. Might switch to ST43s next time just to see as I also might go to a slightly less aggressive tire. I know DIG Motorsports runs ST43 pads on the rear on all their Spec Mustangs, and those cars certainly work well.

I've been running ST-47 Front with ST-43 Rear, and seems to work well. I originally had ST-45 on the rear and it seemed to leave a "residue" or something on the rotor. The ST-43 seems to be a better rear pad for me. This has mainly been with NT-01 tires, btw.

I've been running ST-47 Front with ST-43 Rear, and seems to work well. I originally had ST-45 on the rear and it seemed to leave a "residue" or something on the rotor. The ST-43 seems to be a better rear pad for me. This has mainly been with NT-01 tires, btw.

Thanks for the input, very relevant as I'll be using these with NT01's as well. Have you used the ST43's on the front as well by chance? If so how did they compare to the 47's? I'm interested in the 47's for the front as well, though I've read that the modulation is not as good as the 43's.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
MD
I've always been wondering the same. I have GLOC R12/R10 combo and plan to switch to ST43s this year. Wasn't sure if I had to stagger them also. I was told to run ST43 all the y around but I dont know if that is a good idea.

Thanks for the input, very relevant as I'll be using these with NT01's as well. Have you used the ST43's on the front as well by chance? If so how did they compare to the 47's? I'm interested in the 47's for the front as well, though I've read that the modulation is not as good as the 43's.
No, I haven't used ST43's on the front. The set of F/R ST43's I have were actually a gently used set and I chose to replace my ST45's on the rear (as I didn't like them) with the ST43's. For me, I'd like more bite in the front, and the ST47's I'm using don't bite as much as I'd like. (I'd translate that to modulation is OK.)

Of course, I'm one data point, and I know lots of others run ST43's all around. A lot depends on driving style and personal preference!

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel