The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

ST47 with slicks without ABS module

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Wisconsin
For those who maybe be running this set up. Will this be an issue for me?

My set up is a heavily modded track car. 4 pis front Brembos with ST 47 pads. Rear are gt500 conversion running ST43 pads. Continental slicks.

I DO NOT have the ABS module from the BOSS. Read some things about folks having some issues when you switch to slicks.

Car is used for HPDE track days however it does need to be driven to the from the track about an hour.

Any thoughts on this? I need new front pads and rotors and this is what they are recommending.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Likely the only problem you will have is learning the old art of not flat spotting your tires. You will learn the deft touch of feeling for the pending lock up and you will likely learn even better techique as you progressed back to ABS, eventually. I would suggest a brake pad with good linear feel up front and since I am not overly acquainted with the ST 47s I would not wager to guess on their bite. You want a more progressive bite and not a pad that is instant on in my estimation.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Wisconsin
Likely the only problem you will have is learning the old art of not flat spotting your tires. You will learn the deft touch of feeling for the pending lock up and you will likely learn even better techique as you progressed back to ABS, eventually. I would suggest a brake pad with good linear feel up front and since I am not overly acquainted with the ST 47s I would not wager to guess on their bite. You want a more progressive bite and not a pad that is instant on in my estimation.
Maybe I wrote this wrong. I do not have that mod. My car is stock as the brakes are concerned. Well 4 pis brembos with stainless lines and these ST47 pads incoming. Sounds like they have more bite than the ST45 and are to be used with slicks.

So my concern is that stability and traction will freak out once they are turned off and turn themselves back on. Or and I completely wrong here. Thought I read that somewhere

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel