The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Sta-bil

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

As you guys know most gasoline goes bad within 30-60 days. Boss isn't my daily driver, and there are times that I don't drive it for weeks. I was wondering if any of you guys use Sta-bil to keep the gas fresh. Or any other products.

I don't, as gas has so much alcohol in it now. My motorcycles will sit for a few months and have no issues. If it is sitting a long time, I will top off the tank so there is less air in there to spoil the gas. I have left chainsaws for a year and once they primed they ran fine. My track car also has sat for 6 months with no issues, and my old Evo say almost a year once and it had no issues when I started it (trickle chargers are your friend).

But on the other hand, a Boss costs a lot more than an old chainsaw so use it if you want. I don't recall the name of the product I used on my boat back in the day (built 455 Olds motor) but it worked well. If anything, avoid using track key until it has all passed out of the system (couple fill ups, as it will mix with new gas).

Well, according to the owner's manual, Ford recommends using a fuel stabilizer if the vehicle will not be used for longer periods of time.

I've used Sta-Bil for many years now in all of my internal combustion engines that may sit for a while without use.

I've had very good success with it, but I can't say for certain that it is absolutely necessary.

If the car is only going to sit a month or two, I probably wouldn't worry about it.

Beyond that, I think it's a good idea.

George

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
well I will say my 06 mustang sat for over 2 years without sta-bil or anything and it fired up. ran like complete hell but it ran. got a fresh tank in it started to run a little better. I think sta-bil keeps it good for 6 months if I remember correctly from what the bottle says

I use some sort of fuel stabilizer, every so many months on other cars and my boss because I would be gone for more then 60 days.I would run my gas tank down, pour fuel stabilizer in, fill up with premium, and burn through some gas. So far I have never had a problem, so i guess that stuff works.

boss2511 said:
well I will say my 06 mustang sat for over 2 years without sta-bil or anything and it fired up. ran like complete hell but it ran. got a fresh tank in it started to run a little better. I think sta-bil keeps it good for 6 months if I remember correctly from what the bottle says

good up for a year

Justin

cali-NT54 said:
boss2511 said:

good up for a year
I knew it was 6 or 12. Just knew it wasnt some wonder product that makes gas fresh forever.

Dear Potholes,

I have another toy with an 11.5:1 stroker 351 that is stored for long periods of time and i use Stabil. Been using it for several years. It works well. I recommend it.

Justin

ihatepotholess said:
thanks guys! i stopped by pep boys and bought some sta bil. i didn't have a funnel with me, so i made a mess :mad:. it isn't bad for the paint is it?
there is a funnel in your trunk that the car comes with

four-walling

Kerry, San Diego
I used sta-bil in my garden tractor for the first time and it started right up and ran beautifully after sitting for about 5 months.

I had a hell of a time last year getting it to run after having it sit unused for several months.

Thanks for posing the question because my Boss gets very little driving time also.

This is one thing I will never have to worry about. I drive my Boss every day as long as the weather is good & the roads are dry. I'm approaching 5500 miles on the clock after getting my car last October.....Giddy-up!

I used to use Stabil when I went on deployment. Reconnected the battery and she started right up after 9 1/2 months. Also did this with a full tank as mentioned above to minimize air in the tank.

Sta-Bil should be fine. That's what they make it for. I store my car for 4-5 months over the winter and dump in a can of seafoam before filling the tank. That not only stabilizes the fuel but will do a good job cleaning out anything in the fuel system when I fire it up again in the spring.

http://www.por15.com/
I have also used POR-15 GAS ADDITIVE FORMULA, AND IT LAST LONGER THAN A YEAR IF YOU FOLLOW DIECTIONS. Good stuff,
I like it better than Sta-Bil.

TMO Supporting Vendors