The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Stainless Steel Brake Line Questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
California
I am looking to upgrade to SS brake lines.

From doing extensive reading on the different forums, the most used are the Steeda and Goodridge SS lines. A lot of members have commented that the length of the Steeda lines is an issue while some members had issues installing the Goodridge lines as well. I read on one of the posts that the Goodridge SS lines were revised a couple of years back.

As for buying the lines at this moment, which brands would members recommend? And are the issues I have mentioned above still exist? Have the manufacturers made the necessary revisions to address these problems?

Thanks

In the V6L
I am looking to upgrade to SS brake lines.

From doing extensive reading on the different forums, the most used are the Steeda and Goodridge SS lines. A lot of members have commented that the length of the Steeda lines is an issue while some members had issues installing the Goodridge lines as well. I read on one of the posts that the Goodridge SS lines were revised a couple of years back.

As for buying the lines at this moment, which brands would members recommend? And are the issues I have mentioned above still exist? Have the manufacturers made the necessary revisions to address these problems?

Thanks
Which car are you looking for lines for and what brake calipers are you connecting to? Stock GT350's take one length, stock GT's take a different length and aftermarket calipers might require different lengths again. As to which brand, I'd go with J&M as my first choice and Goodridge as a second choice. Both have different part numbers for GT's and GT350's, where Steeda looks like they only have one part for all Mustangs. I like the J&M parts because the front lines have the same hardline section at the caliper banjo joint as the OEM lines have. It reduces stress on the flex line when you turn the steering wheel.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
California
Which car are you looking for lines for and what brake calipers are you connecting to? Stock GT350's take one length, stock GT's take a different length and aftermarket calipers might require different lengths again. As to which brand, I'd go with J&M as my first choice and Goodridge as a second choice. Both have different part numbers for GT's and GT350's, where Steeda looks like they only have one part for all Mustangs. I like the J&M parts because the front lines have the same hardline section at the caliper banjo joint as the OEM lines have. It reduces stress on the flex line when you turn the steering wheel.
I have a 17 GT non-performance pack.

I assume this is the correct part?

So with J&M, straight forward install, no finessing of the install of any kind?

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
California
I'm using J&M ones. Fit perfectly.
Have you tracked the car many time since then? Lines still holding up perfect? My concern is lines from other manufacturers being a little short and read instances of them chafing and having the lines burst.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
California
I can't vouch for mustang line quality on good ridge lines. However, I had good ridge lines on a previous track car and the lines were too long for the car.
Which SS lines are you currently running on your car? Do you have a S550?

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Atlanta, GA
Just sharing my experience, I bought Steeda's back in 2021 and after 3 failed attempts, they've been sitting in my garage collecting dust.

Initial package included bolts with INCORRECT thread pitch, so the banjo bolt got stuck and broke off on the caliper and I had to order a new caliper (could've avoided my mistake by double-checking if the bolt was identical to oem before installation...)

So Steeda sent me correct banjo bolt the second time around (Obviously different from the initial ones sent)

But then I got to connecting the brake line to the receiving line on the body, and it also turned out to be different thread than OEM.. so it just spun and spun..

After 3 weekend attempts and many wasted bottles of brake fluids,
I was sick of it and chucked it in my garage..

I ran this summer with OEM rubber lines and thankfully didn't run into any issues.
Gonna upgrade this winter before next season begins.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
California
Just sharing my experience, I bought Steeda's back in 2021 and after 3 failed attempts, they've been sitting in my garage collecting dust.

Initial package included bolts with INCORRECT thread pitch, so the banjo bolt got stuck and broke off on the caliper and I had to order a new caliper (could've avoided my mistake by double-checking if the bolt was identical to oem before installation...)

So Steeda sent me correct banjo bolt the second time around (Obviously different from the initial ones sent)

But then I got to connecting the brake line to the receiving line on the body, and it also turned out to be different thread than OEM.. so it just spun and spun..

After 3 weekend attempts and many wasted bottles of brake fluids,
I was sick of it and chucked it in my garage..

I ran this summer with OEM rubber lines and thankfully didn't run into any issues.
Gonna upgrade this winter before next season begins.
Wow man. That's crazy. Your experience definitely sounds similar to some of the experiences other forum members have shared. Is crazy because I read that Steeda, Goodridge, Vorschlag all ran into these issues in some form or another. I definitely was considering Steeda prior to all the research I did. I might just give J&M a try.

We stock both, Goodridge was one of the original developers of the fitting design that met DOT standards for the whip test to begin the brake hose market 25+ years ago, everyone else followed suit. I have had a personal relationship with Goodridge that dates back to 1993, when they just had their California location, They have since added their Nascar Development center located in NC late 90's/Early 2000's. They relocated the G-STOP hose fabrication to their California location from NC around 2018-2019 for better product focus and quality control. NC is mainly fluid handling production.

J&M's are an excellent value and made to very high standards as well.

We recommend both, with full confidence and have worked with both companies directly to develop all the recent Mustang lines. On S550's the largest issue we have found has been Ford production quality, over torque of the brake line fittings which stretches the threads on the hard line so it appears the hose is defective. We buy production hoses from Ford and all fittings supplied match OEM hose assemblies. We have had Customers experience hoses only fitting on one location, even though all the fittings are identical. Fortunately this is very rare. Most times using a 10mm x 1.5 nut to "re-thread' the hard line fitting that has been stretched solves 90% of the fitment issues. That does not help the Customers who have removed factory hoses to find the hard line nut completely stripped of threads. The option there is re-terminate the flare with a new nut or opt for a replacement hard line (which are available)

From our experience its luck of the draw, because there is not pattern to fitment issues, we have been selling the S550 lines since 2016 and out of several hundred of just 2-3 part numbers we have had received maybe 6 fitment issues. We are not including an old assembly issue several years ago where the lines were recalled and replaced free of charge. I personal inspect every batch of lines that Goodridge builds for us, we have not had line quality issues in several years. All of our Goodridge lines are made for us directly per order, so we have assembly production dates of every line made which is traceable back to the California Goodridge HQ.

2015+ J&M Mustang GT Non Mag Ride
2018+ J&M Mustang Mag Ride
2015+ Goodridge Mustang

We also have specific lines for GT350/500, GT350 can use the S550 lines without issue, they are just slightly shorter on the front.
The front lines are longer on the GT350 due to the need to push the caliper up to service the brakes, rears are the same part.
While J&M used to be priced very similar, the recent business environment has caused Goodridge to have a substantial price increase going into 2022.
Time will tell to see if J&M can absorb the raw material increases, but they are a much smaller organization with a very lean supply chain vs Goodridge with global engineering and manufacturing presence that supplies OEM's F1, NASCAR etc.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
California
We stock both, Goodridge was one of the original developers of the fitting design that met DOT standards for the whip test to begin the brake hose market 25+ years ago, everyone else followed suit. I have had a personal relationship with Goodridge that dates back to 1993, when they just had their California location, They have since added their Nascar Development center located in NC late 90's/Early 2000's. They relocated the G-STOP hose fabrication to their California location from NC around 2018-2019 for better product focus and quality control. NC is mainly fluid handling production.

We recommend both, with full confidence and have worked with both companies directly to develop all the recent Mustang lines. On S550's the largest issue we have found has been Ford production quality, over torque of the brake line fittings which stretches the threads on the hard line so it appears the hose is defective. We buy production hoses from Ford and all fittings supplied match OEM hose assemblies. We have had Customers experience hoses only fitting on one location, even though all the fittings are identical. Fortunately this is very rare. Most times using a 10mm x 1.5 nut to "re-thread' the hard line fitting that has been stretched solves 90% of the fitment issues. That does not help the Customers who have removed factory hoses to find the hard line nut completely stripped of threads. The option there is re-terminate the flare with a new nut or opt for a replacement hard line (which are available)

From our experience its luck of the draw, because there is not pattern to fitment issues, we have been selling the S550 lines since 2016 and out of several hundred of just 2-3 part numbers we have had received maybe 6 fitment issues. We are not including an old assembly issue several years ago where the lines were recalled and replaced free of charge. I personal inspect every batch of lines that Goodridge builds for us, we have not had line quality issues in several years. All of our Goodridge lines are made for us directly per order, so we have assembly production dates of every line made which is traceable back to the California Goodridge HQ.

2015+ Goodridge Mustang

We also have specific lines for GT350/500, GT350 can use the S550 lines without issue, they are just slightly shorter on the front.
The front lines are longer on the GT350 due to the need to push the caliper up to service the brakes, rears are the same part.
While J&M used to be priced very similar, the recent business environment has caused Goodridge to have a substantial price increase going into 2022.
Time will tell to see if J&M can absorb the raw material increases, but they are a much smaller organization with a very lean supply chain vs Goodridge with global engineering and manufacturing presence that supplies OEM's F1, NASCAR etc.
That's very good information. So, if I order now, there will be no need to re-thread the hard line or anything in the new batches of the SS lines? Does that apply to both Goodridge and J&M?

That's very good information. So, if I order now, there will be no need to re-thread the hard line or anything in the new batches of the SS lines? Does that apply to both Goodridge and J&M?
Umm, no, the issue is on the car, not the lines. the lines have all CNC'd fittings, they are 99.9% perfect all the time. Depending on who tightened up your lines at the factory (and possibly what batch of hard lines was supplied to that days production run when your car was built has always been the issue. Please understand this issue has carried over to outside of Ford, and has shown up on Camaro and Corvette. There is no logical traceable reason for it. We have spent $1000 on OEM lines to verify everytime Ford decides to change a part number to find out the part is identical. The volume of lines sold globally tells us it is normally not a Goodridge/J&M issue. If those lines are made wrong its typically a fitting being crimped on the wrong orientation, not the threaded fitting.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
California
Umm, no, the issue is on the car, not the lines. the lines have all CNC'd fittings, they are 99.9% perfect all the time. Depending on who tightened up your lines at the factory (and possibly what batch of hard lines was supplied to that days production run when your car was built has always been the issue. Please understand this issue has carried over to outside of Ford, and has shown up on Camaro and Corvette. There is no logical traceable reason for it. We have spent $1000 on OEM lines to verify everytime Ford decides to change a part number to find out the part is identical. The volume of lines sold globally tells us it is normally not a Goodridge/J&M issue. If those lines are made wrong its typically a fitting being crimped on the wrong orientation, not the threaded fitting.
Ok, I see what you're saying. Just so I understand correctly so the installation can be done right, most of the time. rethreading the hardline of the Goodridge line or J&M will solve the issue? If the car wasn't overtorqued, then I would not do all the extra stuff?

Dave_W

Cones - not just for ice cream
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Connecticut
I believe what Tim is saying is that rethreading the factory Ford hardline (metal tubing) fitting that was overtorqued when assembled by Ford will usually fix it to allow connecting to one end of the Goodridge or J&M SS flex line. The other end of the flex line connects to the caliper.

J&M here too and they've been great. Though for the rear lines they rubbed on the inboard sidewall of my 305 tires (stock lines didn't rub) but a zip tie holding the SS line back towards the hardline fixed it. Just take a look out for that.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
California

2015+ Goodridge Mustang

Any promo right now on your site for discount on the lines?

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
California
J&M here too and they've been great. Though for the rear lines they rubbed on the inboard sidewall of my 305 tires (stock lines didn't rub) but a zip tie holding the SS line back towards the hardline fixed it. Just take a look out for that.
I have a 295/35 PS4S on a 19x11 +50. think I'am ok or i'll rub?

TMO Supporting Vendors