The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Stand Alone Engine Harness GT350

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Corona, Ca
I'm looking for a stand alone wiring harness for my 17 GT350 that I bought wrecked and am doing a body swap. I have a new engine harness but was hoping I could just get a stand alone kit to make it a hobby car and not have to install all new harnesses. Any pointers would me much appreciated. The 2.3L Mustang body harness needs to be replaced as well to account for the diff pump and fuel pumps. I plan to have fun on the track with this car.

.38060831_Image_2.JPG

IMG_5415.JPG

IMG_5480.JPG

I'm not sure it would work but could you just buy the controls pack that comes with the 5.2xs since it has to be tuned anyways? Just thinking out loud I have no clue if this would work.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Corona, Ca
I may be over thinking this as I want to get a way without having to have the key fob in the car. So, i was thinking a stand alone harness would bypass the security module?

So I've been contemplating similar/related questions and doing some research. The Ford control pack harness does not have the same CAN bus integration as the stock harness so your electric steering rack will not work. You need a stimulator from Cortex Racing. Also Ford states that if you try to use it in a CAN equipped mustang the engine won't start either (because of the CAN bus interruption). The gauge cluster also will not work, and likely the push button start. Beyond that its not clear to me how much of the rest of the CAN reliant functions of the car are interrupted by having a different engine harness, but likely some are.

So the conclusion I came to is its easiest to either leave all stock harnesses in and in your case have the dealership reprogram/marry any modules that are not talking to eachother after the swap, or rip it all out and do a full chassis rewire. Anywhere in between will certainly be the more difficult road.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Corona, Ca
So I've been contemplating similar/related questions and doing some research. The Ford control pack harness does not have the same CAN bus integration as the stock harness so your electric steering rack will not work. You need a stimulator from Cortex Racing. Also Ford states that if you try to use it in a CAN equipped mustang the engine won't start either (because of the CAN bus interruption). The gauge cluster also will not work, and likely the push button start. Beyond that its not clear to me how much of the rest of the CAN reliant functions of the car are interrupted by having a different engine harness, but likely some are.

So the conclusion I came to is its easiest to either leave all stock harnesses in and in your case have the dealership reprogram/marry any modules that are not talking to eachother after the swap, or rip it all out and do a full chassis rewire. Anywhere in between will certainly be the more difficult road.
That is the answer that I was coming to. Thank you for taking the time to help me figure it out. Looks like I'll just use the OEM harness and leave the Key fob in the car.

TMO Supporting Vendors