The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Standard or Metric Fasteners?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grant 302 said:
I remember my SN95 2000 to be a good mix of both, but I only recall using the metrics on my '11 and '12?
I always grab metric first but it seems to me I've had some chassis bolts where SAE fit better. Maybe I'm wrong on that though.

But I'm happy using metric. When I was a kid and working on my motorcycles I loved the metric system. I wished the US would change over and dump the British system. ;) Anyway I'm glad to see we are there.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
NFSBOSS said:
I always grab metric first but it seems to me I've had some chassis bolts where SAE fit better. Maybe I'm wrong on that though.

But I'm happy using metric. When I was a kid and working on my motorcycles I loved the metric system. I wished the US would change over and dump the British system. ;) Anyway I'm glad to see we are there.

I haven't had everything apart in these cars, so I've been curious about what's inside the axle. The square drive plugs I guess are still SAE, but I think NPT and flare fittings will be tough to switch over.

There was a small push for metrics growing up and it's sad how it's been half-ass adopted by the federal government. Contracts are written up in metric, but everything is still just the SAE equivalent.

That was an easier time growing up though...metric for the mopeds and motorcyles, SAE for the cars.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
I've taken apart many things on Ll span if the years of mustang. Get metric. Sae sizes are for fox bodies and some parts of the sn95.

Owned the following
87 gt
96 cobra
06 gt
2012 boss.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Metric. My matco guy barely keeps any standard stuff on his truck anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland
metric is so close to sae in some sizes, that they are usually interchangeable. 8mm~5/16", 11mm~7/16", 13mm~1/2", 14mm~9/16", 16mm~5/8", 19mm~3/4"

i cant think of anything on these cars that are still english threads except lugnuts and ring gear bolts. wow, i have had WAY too much of this car apart!

jneary

Performance Fords
Norcal
Unless you have one of each, start with metric. I'd get a complete set of box ends up through 21 mm, sockets in std and deep wall through 21mm, torx, and nut drivers. That should cover everything that you will need for most jobs.

john

bossseven.jpg

Grant 302 said:
There was a small push for metrics growing up and it's sad how it's been half-ass adopted by the federal government. Contracts are written up in metric, but everything is still just the SAE equivalent.
The harsh public outcry over the sale of gasoline in litres is what killed the US conversion to metric. Then again, that was a cheap a$$ fix to avoid adding a third digit to gasoline pumps...

TMO Supporting Vendors