The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S197 Stangra DIB GT Build Thread Profile - S197 Mustangs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Texas
This is great info and makes much more sense to me in Blue. Today was the day I was supposed to dream and mock up how I could box in my airflow. Thanks to your detailed write up, I am now just having a beer and a staring at while considering whether all that needs to be undertaken "While I'm here", or whether I can get it to the track with the OEM rubber surrounds, a little tape, and a "Well, let's just see where we are at" motto. Even without the exponential complication of the intercooler, it looks tedious to put it VERY politely.

Thanks for all the pics and ideas! Much appreciated.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
25 min. to 1½ hrs. from Sonoma (ugh... traffic!)
...considering whether all that needs to be undertaken "While I'm here", or whether I can get it to the track with the OEM rubber surrounds, a little tape, and a "Well, let's just see where we are at" motto...
Thanks!

I did a lot of sitting and staring too, when I first installed the supercharger. I originally decided the situation was way too complicated and chose to avoid most of it. I'm producing a lot of heat with a supercharged engine and the air containment efforts I did make then were inadequate. Tedious? VERY! But hopefully worth it, it's no fun pulling off the track overheated and in limp mode. I've had one relatively cool track weekend since this additional boxed in airflow but the results were promising, a hotter day will be a better test... Soon.

If you do not have a lot of heat exchangers (oil cooler, intercooler h/e, possibly no a/c condenser) you may be able to make some improvements with tape or other simple efforts. The number of places that air can find a path around cooling components is surprising and when I imagined how much force the air pressure at 120+ mph might produce I wanted something stronger than tape, and to contain all the leaks. I used 2" aluminum tape to seal small gaps, nothing more than 1/8" though. If you do use tape anywhere make sure it's securely adhered, loose bits of tape can make things worse and may be hard to inspect for. It's difficult to contain all the air right after it enters the grilles. The factory rubber surrounds don't prevent air from passing along the corrugations on the back of bumper beam, areas under the headlights, the hood latch, the upper radiator support frame, around the intake, between bottom of the radiator and the lower closure panel, etc.

Hope you find a solution that works for you, good luck!

TMO Supporting Vendors