The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Start up after 5 months idle

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Is it ok to start the car normally after sitting 5 months or will that do damage? I'm concerned about a dry start as I'm sure all the oil drained back to the pan. Can I pull a fuel pump or other fuse and get oil circulating first?

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
My car sits all winter in the garage. First start in spring it's both feet to the floor on the gas and clutch. That will prevent the engine from firing and you can get some oil pressure up before lighting it. Just have a good battery to spin it quickly and don't overdo it, don't want to cook your starter motor.

**Edit** At least that works on a Gen 2 S550, hopefully it's the same on all Coyotes.

I've seen two methods of oil priming for the Coyote. People either inject it directly into the oil filter housing (the slot that doesn't have the filter adaptor thread in it), which goes right to the gerotor pump itself, or using a cheap garden sprayer and using a 1/4" NPT to connect into the sensor bung on the oil filter adaptor housing itself.
According to this video, once you hear the birds sing in the engine bay you're good to go for about half an hour. This will obviously add a little oil to your level, but some will likely seep back out when you take out the pump sprayer adaptor and reconnect the sensor.

Last edited:

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
I think you will be fine, my cars sit all Winter almost every year and I have never had any issues. Crank her up and let her idle for a bit and you should be alright. Heck , cars sit on Dealer lots at times for over a year either because it is a poor selling model , odd color, or market changes and it is not a worry.

Thanks for the replies. I don't think I worried about it before but for some reason I did this year. I don't want to go through too much work so JDee's method sounds simple.....next to just turning the key as Bill said.

TMO Supporting Vendors