The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Starting my header install today!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

they overnighted the new headers to me. made good on a bad situation.
went ahead and installed the drivers side tonight before the sun set. fitment seems ok so far, but its too dark to tell and everything is still loose.

ill fill everyone in later this week and into the weekend. the motor mounts on the drivers side had to come out btw. no getting around it and the fact that the motor needed to come up about 3-4 inches tops. but it wasnt to bad

got the drivers side finished.
of the two it is by far the hardest to get bolted up. the bends are unique.....lol

the passenger side once i got the mount out of the way fell into place. i even reused some of the studs from the factory to easy the instal a little. a few minutes wrenching and it was bolted up.
a ratchet wrench is needed for sure. and a 1/4 inch ratchet with a 12 point 1/4 socket will remove the stock studs. no need for the fancy start tool..

all in all the factory parts came off with ease.

btw...any one need a set of 4 valve cobra headers? with the x pipe? this seem to be the original system they sent me. no sense in tossing it...brand new parts from american racing.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
gremlinsteve said:
btw...any one need a set of 4 valve cobra headers? with the x pipe? this seem to be the original system they sent me. no sense in tossing it...brand new parts from american racing.
they didnt want them back? I have a few buddies with 99, 01 and a 97 cobra. which style are they for the b series heads or the tumble port?

motor cranked right up. open headers for now. it does not like it very much though. i think the o2 sensor/wideband is too close to the open header collector.

open header she revs very very quickly though.

please do not ask me why i cant seem to convey correctly to the guys at american headers that they sent me an entire kit for a cobra. to include the x pipe and the 45 degree bends that hook it up to the collectors.

ill be waiting for the new 45 degree collector hookups from them next week. since these cobra parts will obviously not work.

steve

pretty much finished up the install this week.
got the exhaust sorted out lined up and such.

all in all i would say on a scale of one to ten this install is about a 4..maybe a 5.
reason is i did this entire install in my garage using two jack stands and a single floor jack. also basic hand tools. nothing air or power.

one tool i would say you must have is a good set of ratcheting wrenches.

right now i have the boos quads capped and she is very quiet. every day drive ability is the say and i have no leaks or any noises.

now on to the important part. the power output makes this mod well worth it. simply put this car rips @ss now. not like it did not before, but now its a different kind of beast. power shifts will get you sideways.
i did notice my head temps hanging in the 199 range. i usually got about 203. ill keep an eye out and see if that is a fluke or if its pulling extra heat out of the compartment. i doubt it though...

i think my next mods will be the cobra jet intake and a swap over to e85

VWGTI123

2012 PW #2558
Sounds like John Milner's Yellow Coupe when he was gettin ready for Falfas' 55 Love to hear it full throttle. ;D

zzyzx

Steve
So did you do a tune with the new headers?

If so, curious which route you went on that.

Thanks!

What tune is that?

TMO Supporting Vendors