The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Steeda Boss 302 CAI and tunes on the way

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
CoolTechLLC said:
take it you havent read the cobra jet engine development? They said there was power to be found in going with a larger CAI on the boss but it just didnt make the cut into the engine program for the boss as it wasnt cost effective as they had already met there hp goal......but with the cobra jet they were able to go with something more.

There's mention of (very) modest gains with different larger throttle bodies - but no mention in this article about CAI's????
read the very last sentence....above

MA
Justin,

I'm curious to see how you like the Steeda tunes.

My Steeda CAI finally came in and I am scheduled to have the CAI/off road X pipe, and AED tunes installed this upcoming Tuesday.

The Dynotech DS didn't work out as well as I had planned, as far as my other mods are concerned.

Justin

SVT1 said:
Justin,

I'm curious to see how you like the Steeda tunes.

My Steeda CAI finally came in and I am scheduled to have the CAI/off road X pipe, and AED tunes installed this upcoming Tuesday.

The Dynotech DS didn't work out as well as I had planned, as far as my other mods are concerned.
I will let you know for sure.

What happened with your dynotech DS? I have a Drive shaft shop DS no problems with it to date.

MA
I noticed a vibration at 80 mph.

I was told by the company who sold it to me to "rotate" it 180 degrees to see if it stops vibrating. I don't have a lift so taking the car back for forth to the garage for this is a real pain. And honestly I could not discern any creditable performance gain from losing the rotating mass. So to me the hassle is not worth it. Who knows, maybe they're right. The instructions didn't make any mention of this, just bolt on and go is the impression I got.

SVT1 said:
I noticed a vibration at 80 mph.

I was told by the company who sold it to me to "rotate" it 180 degrees to see if it stops vibrating. I don't have a lift so taking the car back for forth to the garage for this is a real pain. And honestly I could not discern any creditable performance gain from losing the rotating mass. So to me the hassle is not worth it. Who knows, maybe they're right. The instructions didn't make any mention of this, just bolt on and go is the impression I got.
I think the performance gains are overstated. Since the weight is close to the center (versus an 18 or 19" wheel) the rotating mass benefit is also less than typically promoted. I only put one on my GT500 to keep the stocker from becoming a projectile through the floor of the car with 640 rwhp. That's where the biggest benefit of an upgraded DS comes into play, increased strength. With 400-450 rwhp, the stocker should handle that just fine.

Justin

it does free up power but at our power level its not enough to really feel it. that is my view on it. cause on the 06 gt I had it made a huge diff. I did the upgrade on mine because of the not so lovely sounds the stock on made giving it 6600rpm hits with slicks. It was just something I wasnt going to risk, nothing like a driveshaft breaking loose to ruin one's day.

Justin said:
it does free up power but at our power level its not enough to really feel it. that is my view on it. cause on the 06 gt I had it made a huge diff. I did the upgrade on mine because of the not so lovely sounds the stock on made giving it 6600rpm hits with slicks. It was just something I wasnt going to risk, nothing like a driveshaft breaking loose to ruin one's day.
It may be less at this power level but a friend of mine installed a CF and netted 6 hp. To me that's not enough to justify the cost, but that's just me.

Justin

cloud9 said:
Justin said:
It may be less at this power level but a friend of mine installed a CF and netted 6 hp. To me that's not enough to justify the cost, but that's just me.
yeah I can say that on my car the alum DSS shaft there was no seat of the pants difference. But I mostly bought it for piece of mind at the drag strip.

Justin said:
cloud9 said:
Justin said:
yeah I can say that on my car the alum DSS shaft there was no seat of the pants difference. But I mostly bought it for piece of mind at the drag strip.
Safety is always a good reason for a mod.

Sometime near the end of my warranty I'm going to replace my driveshaft, not necessarily for safety or performance, but to get rid of the damn clunks when you go from on throttle to off throttle.

Let's face it, a 40 something pound, two piece driveshaft was another cost saving measure on the Boss. I'm sure some engineers fought for aluminum and were shot down. Hell, my 1990 Chevy pickup had a factory 4" aluminum driveshaft!

Justin

coboss said:
Sometime near the end of my warranty I'm going to replace my driveshaft, not necessarily for safety or performance, but to get rid of the damn clunks when you go from on throttle to off throttle.

Let's face it, a 40 something pound, two piece driveshaft was another cost saving measure on the Boss. I'm sure some engineers fought for aluminum and were shot down. Hell, my 1990 Chevy pickup had a factory 4" aluminum driveshaft!
the clunking was vastly reduced it will still do it every once and while but its very rare that it does.

MA
coboss said:

Not to seem argumentative, but the 2 peice DS was intended to control NVH. It works well as designed. It was not a cost saving measure, it actually probably was something that was very expensive to remedy. The new GT500 has a CF driveshaft, I assume a single piece, but would be curious to know how Ford ridded the single of NVH as it is a given to some degree when you consider the angle of the shaft with relationship to the pinion.

The stock DS is more than adequate in 95% of all situations. I had the stock 2 piece on my GT500 and regularly drag raced that car and cut 1.6X 60's on Bias Ply MT ET Streets. And that car was a heavy pig! Stock 2 piece shaft held up great with 630 lb/ft of torque at 2k rpm!

Justin

The CAI is here. Cant install it yet cause still waiting on the tunes. But this is by far the best built CAI I have every seen and I have installed every other big brand there is.

I think I might polish the maf housing as it satin and really bumpy wish it was polished from the get go. That would be my only complaint but some may be looking for the satin look.

Anyways here is a pic I put it together on the floor in my TV room lol.
483152_451182144914362_410114743_n.jpg

Justin

SVT1 said:
coboss said:

Not to seem argumentative, but the 2 peice DS was intended to control NVH. It works well as designed. It was not a cost saving measure, it actually probably was something that was very expensive to remedy. The new GT500 has a CF driveshaft, I assume a single piece, but would be curious to know how Ford ridded the single of NVH as it is a given to some degree when you consider the angle of the shaft with relationship to the pinion.

The stock DS is more than adequate in 95% of all situations. I had the stock 2 piece on my GT500 and regularly drag raced that car and cut 1.6X 60's on Bias Ply MT ET Streets. And that car was a heavy pig! Stock 2 piece shaft held up great with 630 lb/ft of torque at 2k rpm!
Me and my bad luck with mustangs is that I am that one guy that is the exception to the rule. 96 cobra dont need upgraded axles with DR's....wrong broke an axle on pass five. 96 cobra dont need a built bottom end with a 8lbs pulley kit with a vortech...wrong tuner blew it up on the dyno a day after I installed it. T45's in the cobra only break with slicks etc....broke it bone stock merging into highway traffic stuck in third. Rebuilt and started to go south again in a few months. went with a t-56. Buy an eaton posi I was told they are built proof....it broke....the list is very very long of "that never happens or isnt needed till xxxx" so I am not chancing my luck on the DS when there are some out there that break at stock power levels.

TMO Supporting Vendors