The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Steeda Boss 302 CAI and tunes on the way

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
Just got done ordering Steeda's Boss 302 CAI and 93 cam idle tune and reg idle tune. Cant wait to get it.

I will let you be sure to post back here on my opinion on the tunes and CAI stay tuned.

Justin

Tflong24 said:
Please do. I am a believer in Steeda products and am curious about their CAI and tune. Could care less about the cam idle portion tho. Just want more safe HP.
thats why I got both tunes. I know they make great CAI but this will be the first time I have ran there tune. Cant be any worse then the JLP tune I got. If it to lets me down I guess I will just have to pony up the outrageous 200 bucks for a john lund tune or aed. well actually at those prices I will just have it custom tuned by SGS in PA.

Justin, I've used Steeda tunes in the past, never an issue. I noticed in your sig block you have Trackey installed. Isn't the Steeda tune going to erase the Trackey tune? It would be nice to switch back if you choose too.

Thanks Chris

Justin

HackBoss302 said:
Justin, I've used Steeda tunes in the past, never an issue. I noticed in your sig block you have Trackey installed. Isn't the Steeda tune going to erase the Trackey tune? It would be nice to switch back if you choose too.

Thanks Chris
well if its like my JLP tune. what the SCT tuner does is pulls off the stock and trackey tunes and saves them on the device then it loads the tune on the pcm. then both keys will run the tune you have loaded but the trackey pop up will still come on with the red key. then I can go revert to stock and it will be just like it was before the tune was put on.

Justin said:
HackBoss302 said:

Thanks Chris
well if its like my JLP tune. what the SCT tuner does is pulls off the stock and trackey tunes and saves them on the device then it loads the tune on the pcm. then both keys will run the tune you have loaded but the trackey pop up will still come on with the red key. then I can go revert to stock and it will be just like it was before the tune was put on.

Have you actually tested loading the original back on from the SCT and seeing that the Trackey tune still works when using the red key?

Justin

Rich_S said:
Justin said:
HackBoss302 said:

Thanks Chris

Have you actually tested loading the original back on from the SCT and seeing that the Trackey tune still works when using the red key?
with the JLP tune yes. I'm running on the stock/trackey again as the JLP tune wasn't very streetable.

According to Brandon from Steeda you can load the Steeda tune on the black key but when you use the red key the computer does not know you have added the cai which is bigger and flows more air so you will run super lean at rpm's over 3000 and could gernade your engine.
They are working on a fix right now and expect to have it soon.
Greg

the computer does not know you have added the cai which is bigger and flows more air so you will run super lean at rpm's over 3000 and could gernade your engine.

Other than marketing claims, there is no proof that a CAI flows more air - which directly implies that the OEM CAI is restrictive which is pretty much ludicrous since Ford was doing everything they possibly could to maximize power on these engines. They are NOT going to release a car with something as silly as restrictive CAI.

So what we have once again is distortions of the truth by vendors. The car is NOT going to run lean because it is flowing more air - it is going to run lean because the MAF sensor has been repositioned and/or changed in the air flow and then the ECU does not have an accurate measurement of ingested air.

Justin

CoolTechLLC said:
the computer does not know you have added the cai which is bigger and flows more air so you will run super lean at rpm's over 3000 and could gernade your engine.

Other than marketing claims, there is no proof that a CAI flows more air - which directly implies that the OEM CAI is restrictive which is pretty much ludicrous since Ford was doing everything they possibly could to maximize power on these engines. They are NOT going to release a car with something as silly as restrictive CAI.

So what we have once again is distortions of the truth by vendors. The car is NOT going to run lean because it is flowing more air - it is going to run lean because the MAF sensor has been repositioned and/or changed in the air flow and then the ECU does not have an accurate measurement of ingested air.
take it you havent read the cobra jet engine development? They said there was power to be found in going with a larger CAI on the boss but it just didnt make the cut into the engine program for the boss as it wasnt cost effective as they had already met there hp goal......but with the cobra jet they were able to go with something more.

But your right about the reason you need to tune for a larger maf housing

Justin

[pdf]http://www.fordracingparts.com/cobrajet/include/2013CJAnnouncement.pdf[/pdf]

http://www.musclemustangfastfords.com/features/mmfp_111206_2013_cobra_jet_mustang_annoucement/index.html

http://www.mustang50magazine.com/techarticles/m5lp_1207_coyote_5_0_engine/index.html

Initially, some of the common hot-rodding tricks just didn't deliver. An electric water pump allowed cylinder head temperatures to rise enough that the Copperhead PCM started reeling in the timing. The same could be said of restricting water flow. Likewise, Ford Racing and several of its partners tried to best the performance of the stock RoadRunner cylinder heads--to no avail.

"Dave Borne was the 5.0 intake engineer. He did the Boss intake. Early on they had looked at a dual-bore throttle body versus the 80mm stock throttle body. They wanted originally to do a 90 on the program, but for cost reasons it never made it in, and it's only worth 2 or 3 horsepower," Robert explained. "Dave had engineered a manifold that used the dual-bore GT500 throttle body; we tested it with the dual 65s that we sell, and then the monoblade. Each time there was a power improvement. To get that power improvement, we used the 123mm mass air meter that we used on the original '08-'12 Cobra Jets."

take it you havent read the cobra jet engine development? They said there was power to be found in going with a larger CAI on the boss but it just didnt make the cut into the engine program for the boss as it wasnt cost effective as they had already met there hp goal......but with the cobra jet they were able to go with something more.

There's mention of (very) modest gains with different larger throttle bodies - but no mention in this article about CAI's????

TMO Supporting Vendors