The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Steeda CAI + Tune? + Kooks nocats

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Steeda intake has a larger MAF housing so a tune is required. Otherwise the car will be taking in more air than it thinks and run lean.

Sesshomurai

2012Boss302 said:
What I would like to see on this CAI issue.

1)Baseline the car.
2)Install CAI NO tune.

This is not possible I'm told. The increased airflow would cause the motor to run lean and damage it beyond repair.

3)Install tune with the CAI
Did this. More results after this weekends track event. But the tune did a couple of nice things in addition to the re-tune.

1) It removed the skip shift
2) It removed the speed limiter.

4) Re-install the factory airbox, filter, hose. Keep the #3 tune.

Not possible. In that scenario the engine would run rich and also result in damage.

hth!

CAI + Tune v just a Tune would be the closest you can do, but that is asking a bit of the tester as the dyno time is not free nor is the 2nd tune

SteedaBrandon

CaliMR said:
CAI + Tune v just a Tune would be the closest you can do, but that is asking a bit of the tester as the dyno time is not free nor is the 2nd tune
We've done this very test on a 5.0, but not on a Boss specifically. I can share the results if anyone would like to see them.

SteedaBrandon

2012Boss302 said:
SteedaBrandon said:
We've done this very test on a 5.0, but not on a Boss specifically. I can share the results if anyone would like to see them.

Brandon and anyone else, understand I am not at all doubting anyone's integrity. This subject seems to be so subjective ;D .

I'd like to see the results of your test. Thanks
2012Boss302 said:
SteedaBrandon said:

Brandon and anyone else, understand I am not at all doubting anyone's integrity. This subject seems to be so subjective ;D .

I'd like to see the results of your test. Thanks
I have attached a dyno sheet that was a test we did about a year and a half ago of the stock airbox vs the cold air.

On this test the car was loaded with a basic tune with no cam timing changes just so we could have a higher rev limiter that way we could rev the engine to the same RPM with both intakes without running into a limiter. Ignition timing was the same for both tunes.

The results show a “peak” gain of only 5 horsepower, but there is a lot more there if you read the dyno sheet. Gains started at about 4,500, with gains of 6 to 9 horsepower between 4,500 and 5,000. Between 5,300 and 6,100 gains were 7 to 10 horsepower. And between 6,700 and 7,200 the gains were an impressive 12 to 15 horsepower. So you can see measurable gains from a cold air intake.

2011STOCKBOXVS95MMCAI.jpg

SteedaBrandon

2012Boss302 said:
Thanks Brandon. So how much is estimated left on the table by not optimizing the tune on that pull??
Just a tune (no CAI) will net somewhere between 10-20HP on the Boss. (every car is different so it will vary)

There is some good technical info on the C&L site, whose CAI is similar to Steeda's. The main, and probably only reason for a gain with any well-designed CAI is the reduction of flow restriction. No open cone system is going to be as well-isolated from heat as the factory system, though even stock the IAT at idle skyrockets. Once the car is moving IAT drops quickly, though it may take a bit longer to stabilize with the Steeda. The factory CAI actually flows 50 cfm less than the 4.6L generation intake despite much higher horsepower and demand in the 5.0. Engine compartment packaging issues dictated a somewhat more restrictive design. I tested the pressure drop of my stock system and then the Steeda uses a column manometer. Stock had a peak negative pressure of around 21 inches of water at 7000 rpm whereas with the Steeda it was about 5. This corresponds very closely to the C&L graph. I dynoed my car stock at AED but not since installing the CAI. Shaun said to expect about 10 hp above his tune only which I think is reasonable.

65sohc said:
There is some good technical info on the C&L site, whose CAI is similar to Steeda's. The main, and probably only reason for a gain with any well-designed CAI is the reduction of flow restriction. No open cone system is going to be as well-isolated from heat as the factory system, though even stock the IAT at idle skyrockets. Once the car is moving IAT drops quickly, though it may take a bit longer to stabilize with the Steeda. The factory CAI actually flows 50 cfm less than the 4.6L generation intake despite much higher horsepower and demand in the 5.0. Engine compartment packaging issues dictated a somewhat more restrictive design. I tested the pressure drop of my stock system and then the Steeda uses a column manometer. Stock had a peak negative pressure of around 21 inches of water at 7000 rpm whereas with the Steeda it was about 5. This corresponds very closely to the C&L graph. I dynoed my car stock at AED but not since installing the CAI. Shaun said to expect about 10 hp above his tune only which I think is reasonable.
Was this on a Boss or your GT 500? Where are you located? I'm in Roseville.

SteedaBrandon said:
I have attached a dyno sheet that was a test we did about a year and a half ago of the stock airbox vs the cold air.

On this test the car was loaded with a basic tune with no cam timing changes just so we could have a higher rev limiter that way we could rev the engine to the same RPM with both intakes without running into a limiter. Ignition timing was the same for both tunes.

The results show a “peak” gain of only 5 horsepower, but there is a lot more there if you read the dyno sheet. Gains started at about 4,500, with gains of 6 to 9 horsepower between 4,500 and 5,000. Between 5,300 and 6,100 gains were 7 to 10 horsepower. And between 6,700 and 7,200 the gains were an impressive 12 to 15 horsepower. So you can see measurable gains from a cold air intake.
These numbers are very similar to the Airaid numbers posted last Fall. While the peak HP numbers weren't much different than stock the powerband was fatter. More power down lower is more usable on a road course.

TMO Supporting Vendors