The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Steeda Cold Air Kit

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
PeteInCT said:
SteedaBrandon said:
boss2511 said:
SteedaBrandon said:
boss2511 said:
is it true that you guys offer tuning with a lopey idle? one more like what ford first had on there videos and not what we have with the trackey?
We offer cam idle tunes for the 2011+ GT.
so you dont offer it for the bosses?
We do not currently offer it for the Boss.

I retract my statements - thought you were talking about the Boss.

-Pete
they do have a CAI specific to the boss. it requires tuning though. and from friends with 11+ gts I can attest that it does in fact make more power better yet cuts down some et which is what really matters. the air aid and bbk that are no tune required you are correct they dont offer much if any increase in power.

SteedaBrandon

PeteInCT said:
IMHO - nothin against Steeda, but:

Sorry - I'm not buyin' it, especially with the stock 80mm TB unless I see a real Mustang Dyno 'before and after' and some guarantee that any stock Boss will see at least similar results. I also believe that we had it on good source that slapping a bigger TB wasn't going to change much in this engine. I have an AirAid CF - no difference in peak HP to speak of, maybe a wider power band (especially over 4K RPM).

Make me eat my words and I'll sell my AirAid on EBay and put in an order immediately, no problemo.
boss-power-pack-1.jpg

Here's an interesting thread for you to check out: http://forums.themustangsource.com/f813/airaid-not-501828/ In it, a Boss owner dynos his Boss before and after an Airaid intake, he gained 1 peak HP for $500+. An Airaid customer service rep comes in and tells him that he didn't follow the proper procedure, informing him he needed to do 40 pulls and go through an entire method for it to show something better. I have yet to see anyone put up a dyno with an Airaid intake that made anywhere near what they claim. In fact, I've never even seen the dyno where they supposedly made a 19 HP gain. We, however, provide that up front, as we have nothing to hide. :)

You said yourself that you didn't experience any difference in peak HP.

There is a reason for that. To get a substantial gain, you have to increase airflow. To do that requires a larger MAF, which the computer cannot properly compensate for. A re-tune is then required to compensate for the additional airflow characteristics of the larger housing. The Airaid is made to work within those airflow characteristics, it therefore requires no re-tuning, and thus offers litte in the way of power gains.

We could have taken that route, but we saw from the beginning in our own testing that that was going to lead us nowhere. The only way we made power is with the larger MAF housing we use, which was worth around 11-12 HP over the OEM intake. The rest of our power gain is from tuning and optimizing other areas, such as cam timing.

SteedaBrandon

steveespo said:
Brandon
I already have an original '11 Steeda CAI and a SCT tuner with a Brenspeed tune. If I was to buy the Boss CAI how much for just an email tune to use with my SCT. I will of course provide all the particulars for my mods so far.
Steve
PM sent.

Justin

SteedaBrandon said:
steveespo said:
Brandon
I already have an original '11 Steeda CAI and a SCT tuner with a Brenspeed tune. If I was to buy the Boss CAI how much for just an email tune to use with my SCT. I will of course provide all the particulars for my mods so far.
Steve
PM sent.
Are you guys planning to make a lopey idle tune for the bosses?

SteedaBrandon

boss2511 said:
SteedaBrandon said:
steveespo said:
Brandon
Steve
PM sent.
We are currently testing a cam idle tune for the Boss. There is not any sort of time table at this time. We will not release any product without doing extensive and thorough testing.

Justin

SteedaBrandon said:
boss2511 said:
SteedaBrandon said:
steveespo said:
Brandon
Steve
PM sent.
We are currently testing a cam idle tune for the Boss. There is not any sort of time table at this time. We will not release any product without doing extensive and thorough testing.
I can wait just so long as its not like waiting for C&L to release there 3V heads kinda wait. I just got the trackey installed and will wait till its warranty time is up or I can convince the soon to be wife that I need it lol

SteedaBrandon said:
boss2511 said:
SteedaBrandon said:
steveespo said:
Brandon
Steve
PM sent.
Sounds like I need to take a road trip across the state and do some testing!!

OK so it sounds like you guy's are saying that some CAI & tunes are good and some are bad, so how is a guy to know which to run with. I mean there seems to be so much fighting as to who is good and who is not, it is hard to tell. I purchased the Steeda CAI & Tune for my Boss and I guess I will just have to see for my self. I don't mean to offend any one but wow! alot of fighting on here about things that should be a little easer to find out about and use on our cars.

redhotboss444hp

OK, I just had the Steeda CAI & tune done on my Boss 2012 I have not had the Dyno done as of yet but I can tell you just from the seat of the pants that there is a big difference in my Boss now. Also the car is alot more smother and belive it or not I am getting better gas milage as well 3 to 5 more miles per gallon ( If I can keep my foot out of it ) now that just blows me away as soon as I can get the dyno done I will post it. I know there are alot of different ideas and oppions but I am a beliver of the Steeda product.

SteedaBrandon

redhotboss444hp said:
OK, I just had the Steeda CAI & tune done on my Boss 2012 I have not had the Dyno done as of yet but I can tell you just from the seat of the pants that there is a big difference in my Boss now. Also the car is alot more smother and belive it or not I am getting better gas milage as well 3 to 5 more miles per gallon ( If I can keep my foot out of it ) now that just blows me away as soon as I can get the dyno done I will post it. I know there are alot of different ideas and oppions but I am a beliver of the Steeda product.
Thanks for the Steeda props!

I did not have the pre dyno done because it seems that mosy of our cars hiy about 373 to 380 HP so I could not see doing it based on all the info that I could pull up on doing a dyno for the boss but as soon as I can I will do a after dyno and post it for all to see. ;D

It depends on the dyno and the temps etc. My old car on the local heartbreaker Mustang dyno would run 40 hp less than on an optimistically set up Dynojet. See if the place you get it done has any records of stock Bosses running their dyno.

CaliMR said:
It depends on the dyno and the temps etc. My old car on the local heartbreaker Mustang dyno would run 40 hp less than on an optimistically set up Dynojet. See if the place you get it done has any records of stock Bosses running their dyno.
Exactly. You can't compare cars run on different dynos in different conditions. I really don't know where you're getting those "typical" Boss hp numbers from anyway. Mine dynoed at 398 rwhp/356 rwtq which is almost the difference between what the OP contends is the "baseline" and what you could expect to gain from a CAI and tune. Most of the runs I've seen on Dynojets are in the 400ish rwhp range SAE corrected. Using his numbers, I could have no gain from the CAI and tune and claim I picked up 20-25 hp. I'm not saying there's not a gain from the Steeda CAI and tune, I expect there is, but you have to compare it on the same car and dyno to have any idea of what that gain might actually be. I don't put any stock in "butt dynos" since most people convince themselves that any mod they do has to produce a performance gain as a defense mechanism against buyer's remorse.

Justin

only way to know for sure is one of two ways. same car same dyno same air temp same coolant temp etc. and it cant be a one shot at least three pulls before and after to get an avg. Or you can take it to the track and compare MPH with the same air condtions as this will show if you gain some HP as well.

:eek: WOW what did I do hit a hornets nest, it seems to me that some of you guys out there are the one's that have a problem I do not regret doing or buying what I bought. I know my car runs better gets better gas milage than before becuase I did the numbers my self. Please understand I am not a 18 year old kid who went out and bought a Boss becuase of all the TV hype I am 55 years old and have been around cars my whole life. I have built and raced just about every American car out there, including bit not limited to Mustangs, Roudrunners, Cuda's, Corba Jet's, Corvette Z51, Corvette Z06, I know when some thing works and when it doesn't. Now for the next thing you are right I did not do the pre-dyno I said that up front wasn't hiding any thing not that I have any thing to prove to any of you, but the guy that did the work for me did do the dyno becuase he wanted to know the pre-dyno numbers so he could see the results for him self ( and sorry know he did not give me any print outs he said he did it for him self ). He told me it ran 398.5 so sorry about my statement early I was just going off of what I have been reading my fualt so sorry. So now you know why I don't know much about the Forums it is becuase of crap like this and there is nothing wrong with my butt, that is how we used to do it in the old days before dyno's came around and some one wanted $500.00 dollars to do a pull. when I am able to do a dyno I will and yes it will be the same dyno. I NO I DID NOT DO THE WORK MY SELF BECUASE I AM GOING BLIND, THIS WILL BE MY LAST CAR EVER AND TO THINK ALL I WANTED TO DO IS TALK TO SOME OTHER CAR GUY'S. This is twice on the forum that some one has gotten in my face over some thing stupid as cars. :-\

redhotboss - sorry you took it as a slight. I think the discussion is just about understanding what the gains are versus what is advertised. There are an infinite number of products being marketed to Mustang owners, some of them are great and many are snake oil. No one is saying that Steeda's CAI and tune aren't a quality product, I think we're just saying to have some real data, a before and after dyno would be helpful. I mostly run on the road course so when I evaluate mods, I try to measure it in terms of lap time improvement to know if it works or not. Of course there are a ton of variables in any given lap so that's hard to accurately measure and can only be done with multiple laps on a given track.

Anyway I'll be the first to apologize if I offended you and we'd love you to stick around and talk cars 8)

Justin

redhot sorry if I was one of them. I was trying to be on your side.

But great mod and thanks for sharing. If you get any other data like 1/4 numbers let us know I know I would like to know.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel