The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Steeda Cold Air Kit

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Well thak you for the apology, I was not trying to make you guy's feel like I was offended just trying to state what I know at this end that's all. I did not know that my mechanic did a dyno pull he was just excited to work on a Boss and didn't tell me about it, if he would have told me I would stated it ( I still have to do the after dyno pull my self which will take me a little time to do ) but will list it when I get it done. I was just looking for TALK about cars that's all when you start to have some thing horrible happen to you as going blind, you try to find things that you have in commen with other people and share that. I plan on sticking around and yes I now that when you have passionate guy's sharing about passionate thing's ( such as cars ) things can get heated some times so I will move on to the next subject. ( SUPERCHARGERS ) yeah.

Hey redhotboss,
Sorry to hear about your eye problems. I too have some blindness and had to retire early from racing. I was roadracing Mustangs. Luckily I passed some of the skills to my daughter. She was a Grand National Go-Kart racing champion. Hopefully she will one day race Mustangs. Yes I too have had comments like this from members here but just blew it off from my racing experience too. The majority of the members here are very helpful and seem willing to bend over backwords to help out.

Bulldogracer

I understand and boy do I know the feeling of going blind, its hard to deal with alot of people take sight for granted ( I did ) until some thing goes wrong. I still have about a year or so maybe one maybe two more summers and that it.

Thanks for your kind words.

redhotboss444hp said:
I understand and boy do I know the feeling of going blind, its hard to deal with alot of people take sight for granted ( I did ) until some thing goes wrong. I still have about a year or so maybe one maybe two more summers and that it.

Thanks for your kind words.

Really sorry to hear about your eyes. I hope you'll enjoy your car to the max while you still can. You sure picked a sweet one to be your last. Drive it like there's no tomorrow!

Thanks for your words and I do attend on enjoying my Boss, I will be taking it to Hallett Motor Race Track during the Mid America Ford and Shelbt meet in June so yeah I think I will really enjoy it alot.

I really love the road runner engine just the way it is in this car. The only thing I really want is more intake noise to match the exhaust note. That is why I'm interested in a CAI kit. However, I don't really want it to change how the engine runs. More horsepower is fine, but I don't really care. To me, it would be a big dissapointed if it detracted from the performance characteristics of the engine in anyway. Thus, I am really skeptical of all of the CAI kits I've seen. The steeda kit looks like the best engineered product out there right now. So, to that end, I have two questions that I have not seen answered at this time:

1) Will fuel efficiency be negatively impacted? I drive my Boss a lot and the fact that I can get over 20 MPG in the city during the week and then go out on the weekend and lay down some good times at the track is huge for me.

2) Will the required tune work with the Track Key software? This would be a deal breaker for me. The red key is my "weekend" key and it simply must work correctly.

SteedaBrandon

Boss #2452 said:
I really love the road runner engine just the way it is in this car. The only thing I really want is more intake noise to match the exhaust note. That is why I'm interested in a CAI kit. However, I don't really want it to change how the engine runs. More horsepower is fine, but I don't really care. To me, it would be a big dissapointed if it detracted from the performance characteristics of the engine in anyway. Thus, I am really skeptical of all of the CAI kits I've seen. The steeda kit looks like the best engineered product out there right now. So, to that end, I have two questions that I have not seen answered at this time:

1) Will fuel efficiency be negatively impacted? I drive my Boss a lot and the fact that I can get over 20 MPG in the city during the week and then go out on the weekend and lay down some good times at the track is huge for me.

2) Will the required tune work with the Track Key software? This would be a deal breaker for me. The red key is my "weekend" key and it simply must work correctly.

Fuel efficiency will not be negatively impacted. You may see a gain, but many don't as they want to press the pedal down more often. ;)

Unfortunately, the tune will not work with the Trackey. SCT (the tuner company) does not yet have support for the Trackey. Tunes have to be installed and only used on the standard key. You can no longer use the Trackey after installing the CAI and tune (unless you were to return everything stock).

SteedaBrandon said:
Boss #2452 said:

Fuel efficiency will not be negatively impacted. You may see a gain, but many don't as they want to press the pedal down more often. ;)

Unfortunately, the tune will not work with the Trackey. SCT (the tuner company) does not yet have support for the Trackey. Tunes have to be installed and only used on the standard key. You can no longer use the Trackey after installing the CAI and tune (unless you were to return everything stock).

Damnit all! I know the conundrum of fuel efficiency. Mine has definitely dropped after I took out my side exhaust plates. It is definitely more tempting to hold gear instead of shifting responsibly. ;D

Boss #2452 said:
I drive my Boss a lot and the fact that I can get over 20 MPG in the city during the week

20MPG??!?!?! With city driving??? I have not been able to get more than 16MPG combined ... Not even when I really try to drive for fuel efficiency. What's your secret? :)

I was getting 17 MPG before the CAI & Tune, I still hold to and belive the Steeda CAI and Tune helped alot but I also shift from 1st to 3rd then to 5th and then to 6th unless I happen to have a heavy right foot that day ( I will say this on the days I have a heavy right foot the milage of course goes back down to about 15 to 16 MPG's ). It seems to be working for me just checked the mileage again and it is holding, so that's all I can say. :eek:

[/quote

Are you implying that Steeda/SCT might soon be able to make a tune that will support the Trak Key and give a HP gain?

As far as the tune goes, I talked with a Ford Engineer the weekend of the Mid America Meet in Tulsa, Oklahoma he said if you tune on the regular key side that is where you need to stay. If you use the track key and then try to go back to the reguler key the tune will no longer be there it is like the track key eraeses the tune and you have to put the tune back in, I know I have all ready done that. Some thing I found interesting though he also said that he thought if the tune was put on the track key side it would work but then you allways have to use the track key all the time, and he said they are working on a tune that I belive to mean SCT and please do not hold me to this it is just what he said not me, I am gonna waite tell there is a tune for the track key side before I do any thing like that. I can still say this though I love my tune from Steeda went racing the weekend of 6/15 thru 6/17 and every thing worked great. Thank you Steeda I love my CAI and Tune.

redhotboss444hp

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
My JLP tune tuning it with the red key in would go to the JLP tune red key or silver key and to return it to stock I had to use the red key and then it was back to how it was before silver is stock red is trackey???

redhotboss444hp said:
I can still say this though I love my tune from Steeda went racing the weekend of 6/15 thru 6/17 and every thing worked great. Thank you Steeda I love my CAI and Tune.

redhotboss444hp

Can you post pics of your CAI install and show us where the cold air is coming from?

Justin said:
My JLP tune tuning it with the red key in would go to the JLP tune red key or silver key and to return it to stock I had to use the red key and then it was back to how it was before silver is stock red is trackey???

Huh???? What the hell?????

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
Tflong24 said:
Justin said:

Huh???? What the hell?????
I bought a tuner and a tune at all ford nats in carlisle. Put the red key in it. Plugged in the tuner put the tune on it. After that the car would start and run with that loaded tune with both keys. Still would say trackey track use only pop up with the red key but thats it. I put it back to stock had to use the red key to do so. After it went back to stock it was back to how it was prior to loading the tune. silver key stock redkey trackey.

SteedaBrandon

seca954 said:
[/quote

Are you implying that Steeda/SCT might soon be able to make a tune that will support the Trak Key and give a HP gain?
SCT would have to provide support for the TracKey as that is the only tuning devices that we use.

SteedaBrandon

JeffIsHereToo said:
redhotboss444hp said:
I can still say this though I love my tune from Steeda went racing the weekend of 6/15 thru 6/17 and every thing worked great. Thank you Steeda I love my CAI and Tune.

redhotboss444hp

Can you post pics of your CAI install and show us where the cold air is coming from?
I can post a pic of our heat shield with its cold air duct if you'd like to see?

PM Sent.

SteedaBrandon said:
JeffIsHereToo said:
redhotboss444hp said:

redhotboss444hp

I can post a pic of our heat shield with its cold air duct if you'd like to see?

TMO Supporting Vendors