The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Steeda Dual rate mag ride springs and comp rear swaybar

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Did you ever run the springs without the DSC unit? I've got the springs and sways on the way, but haven't pulled the trigger on the Steeda calibrated DSC unit yet
I ran bmr springs on my gt350 with the oem control unit (non-R) the entire time. Worked great on that car. I added the DSC on the gt500 to help with corner entry looseness I am seeing.

Don't run and swap, at the track it is a nice but not earth shattering difference. I like them better on the street where the bumps and dips are more severe. Also the mag shocks , when you get them working well, help make these softer-than-coilover rates workable.
this is what has me lookin. i dont have mag ride but these cars are so heavy i think it might actually justify that higher spring rate. really wish i could find some more reviews from non magride owners.

this is what has me lookin. i dont have mag ride but these cars are so heavy i think it might actually justify that higher spring rate. really wish i could find some more reviews from non magride owners.
I dont think Steeda makes these for non-magneride cars and without magneride one of the rear springs would be wound in the wrong direction to fit into your lower spring bucket in the rear.

I dont think Steeda makes these for non-magneride cars and without magneride one of the rear springs would be wound in the wrong direction to fit into your lower spring bucket in the rear.

where'd you see that? i dont see it on their site. i do see reviews from non magnaride people though...

edit:

they make em for both
1679201197880.png

Last edited:
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Snowy North
I've run the BMRs and the DRs on my 2016 PP non-magride. Stayed with DRs on Steeda Prolite 1W adjustable struts/shocks and their shortened bumpstops.

DRs give a noticeably better street ride when you optimize the damper settings (important). They also help restore front ride height on the track...from turn-entry to throttle tip-in...plus that extra bit of rate/ride height keeps the thing off of the bumpstops - more compliant ride - better than the BMRs. Finally, the soft coils plus a bit more spring length than the BMRs help the unloaded corners maintain grip better than the BMRs...similar to coil-overs with helper springs (eg. WRC suspension). And remember...install shorter bumpstops irrespective of which way you go...else you'll be chasing your tail forever trying to make the thing rotate at the apex, especially if bumpy asphalt is your thang.

Last thing: S550 GT500s have a bit more weight on the nose vs GT350s/Mach 1 and especially our welfare special little GTs. Not sure if Steeda had increased the front spring rates comparably to provide similar nose recovery rates? Might be interesting to see what they say...

And as always...YMMV :biggrin::biggrin:.

where'd you see that? i dont see it on their site. i do see reviews from non magnaride people though...

edit:

they make em for both
View attachment 84900

Ok good to see that they make them for both. My only concern would be what shock absorber you pair them with as I would highly doubt the stock dampers would be up to the task.

Last thing: S550 GT500s have a bit more weight on the nose vs GT350s/Mach 1 and especially our welfare special little GTs. Not sure if Steeda had increased the front spring rates comparably to provide similar nose recovery rates? Might be interesting to see what they say...

And as always...YMMV :biggrin::biggrin:.
Yep, they do make a version specific to the GT500 and then a separate set for all other magneride equipped cars, and then (as posted above) anorther set for all non magneride cars.

If you were to have an supercharged GT350 I would be interested in finding out if the GT500 option should be what you purchase to deal with the extra weight.

Ok good to see that they make them for both. My only concern would be what shock absorber you pair them with as I would highly doubt the stock dampers would be up to the task.

Yep, they do make a version specific to the GT500 and then a separate set for all other magneride equipped cars, and then (as posted above) anorther set for all non magneride cars.

If you were to have an supercharged GT350 I would be interested in finding out if the GT500 option should be what you purchase to deal with the extra weight.

oh you ain't kiddin. the stock dampeners are barely adequate for the PP1 springs as it is. i'm thinking steeda adjustables for maximum flexibility and that lifetime warranty + they can't say they aren't matched if i go that route.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Bay Area
Damn it.....
I just came across this thread and now I want dual rate springs 🤦‍♂️
I also have the BMR 250/980 springs and they still feel like a boat on track. Not sure if the dual rates are worth it for me at this point being $350 when I should just save up for some coilovers.
I will be trying full stiff on the front bar next track day though.
I have a very similar setup to yours, but running middle setting front bar, and I have the stock PP1 rear swaybar. How did you like full stiff? Do you think you will still try out the steeda springs?

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
SoCal
I have a very similar setup to yours, but running middle setting front bar, and I have the stock PP1 rear swaybar. How did you like full stiff? Do you think you will still try out the steeda springs?
I ended up not changing the bar.
And negative in the springs. It would be a minor improvement at best so I'm saving for coilovers.

TMO Supporting Vendors