The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

  • Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Steeda Motor Mount Failure

While installing LT headers today, my Steeda motor mounts were removed. This uncovered that one of red rings was completely cut through, and one of the black rings was deformed, but probably still usable. I only have about 1.5 track hours and 1 hour DD on them. Any one else experiencing similar problems?
 

Domestic Product

Big fat tires and everything !
LS110 said:
While installing LT headers today, my Steeda motor mounts were removed. This uncovered that one of red rings was completely cut through, and one of the black rings was deformed, but probably still usable. I only have about 1.5 track hours and 1 hour DD on them. Any one else experiencing similar problems?

First I must say "awesome car" just love the black and red LS. Going fast standing still! Wish I had one.

So Steeda should take care of you and replace, no? I was ready to order some BBR mounts that look the same as Steeda. I am re thinking that and looking at more hard core stuff like at Maximum Motor Sports. Let us know how you are treated at Steeda.
 
I plan on contacting Steeda in the morning to see what they will do. Regardless I need to order new bushings/rings immediately and am thinking to go with black/black this time and see how vibration that adds. The scary part is I would never have seen the failure unless I was doing the other header work, until the bushing literally fell apart while on the track.
 

isrboss

I'm not going to bash Steeda, but due to my research in the past prior to modifying my Boss. I was quick to learn that nothing Steeda was going on my car. Sorry to hear this, all manufactures are going to experience poor quality from time to time, but it is on a wide spectrum with Steeda.

If you can, please tell, why did you remove the oem mounts in the first place?
 
John, sorry to hear of the broken mount right before a big weekend, So when is the CJ intake and tune being installed? ;)
 
isrboss said:
If you can, please tell, why did you remove the oem mounts in the first place?

The reason I changed from OEM was to avoid any possible clutch problems and improve shift performance.

I just found the other thread on this topic started by Scott (YellowBoss) and he had a similar failure with his Prothane mounts.

NFSBOSS said:
John, sorry to hear of the broken mount right before a big weekend, So when is the CJ intake and tune being installed? ;)

Rick - The install was done yesterday and I am about to go pick-up the car and will let you know what I think.
 

isrboss

LS110 said:
The reason I changed from OEM was to avoid any possible clutch problems and improve shift performance.

I just found the other thread on this topic started by Scott (YellowBoss) and he had a similar failure with his Prothane mounts.

Rick - The install was done yesterday and I am about to go pick-up the car and will let you know what I think.

I'm just trying to get a feel for what mods matter. So you did the motor mounts as preventative, not to fix an issue you were having? I have not done more then the one track day yet in the Boss, so I may find this shift problem myself. Did the mounts help with shifting at all, before failing so quickly?
 

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
I have a BBR set that look identical to the steeda ones. I will have to keep an eye on them.

.
isrboss said:
I'm not going to bash Steeda, but due to my research in the past prior to modifying my Boss. I was quick to learn that nothing Steeda was going on my car. Sorry to hear this, all manufactures are going to experience poor quality from time to time, but it is on a wide spectrum with Steeda.

If you can, please tell, why did you remove the oem mounts in the first place?
I have had lots of steeda products in the past and never had an issue with anything I bought from them

I replaced mine cause I had them laying around. it made the car feel more solid and shift better in my experience with them. They arent that bad to take out and inspect. I will be installing headers here soon I will check them then.
 
isrboss said:
I'm just trying to get a feel for what mods matter. So you did the motor mounts as preventative, not to fix an issue you were having? I have not done more then the one track day yet in the Boss, so I may find this shift problem myself. Did the mounts help with shifting at all, before failing so quickly?

I am guilty of doing too many mods at once and thus it is tough for me to know the impact of each. I added the mounts at the same time as going with a 302S suspension. I have notice a slight improvement in the shifting, and thankfully I am one of the few yet to have a clutch problem. My motive for making the change was both preventative but also hoping to see shifting improvements. I also like the added engine vibration.
 
I had Tousley Ford do the install, and by their top mechanic. Thankfully he is the only that has worked on my Boss and he was also the one that found the split bushing and dis-formed bushing.
 

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
LS110 said:
I had Tousley Ford do the install, and by their top mechanic. Thankfully he is the only that has worked on my Boss and he was also the one that found the split bushing and dis-formed bushing.
did he install the factory shield off of the OEM mounts? and which bushing where was split/dis-formed?
 
LS110 said:
While installing LT headers today, my Steeda motor mounts were removed. This uncovered that one of red rings was completely cut through, and one of the black rings was deformed, but probably still usable. I only have about 1.5 track hours and 1 hour DD on them. Any one else experiencing similar problems?
Geez John you managed to break something before I did? Now you know mine are next.
 
Justin said:
did he install the factory shield off of the OEM mounts? and which bushing where was split/dis-formed?

Justin - What is shield you are referring to? I should have taken pic's of the bushings. The red one had a clean cut thought it such that you could open the ring up and form a "C" The black just had some deformity such that look slightly thinner and some oozing of the urethane toward the center of the ring.
 

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
LS110 said:
Justin - What is shield you are referring to? I should have taken pic's of the bushings. The red one had a clean cut thought it such that you could open the ring up and form a "C" The black just had some deformity such that look slightly thinner and some oozing of the urethane toward the center of the ring.
its a grey rubber boot that goes around the stock trans mount. in my directions they direct you to take this off and install it on the BBR mounts. it is to protect it from the elements and heat.
 
Justin said:
its a grey rubber boot that goes around the stock trans mount. in my directions they direct you to take this off and install it on the BBR mounts. it is to protect it from the elements and heat.

I am guessing he did not reinstall that boot/shield. I just sent an email to the mechanic regarding what side failed and also asked about this.
 

TMO Supporting Vendors

Top