The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Steeda Motor Mount Failure

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Domestic Product

Big fat tires and everything !
Yes interesting issue here. At what temp does urethane degrade or start to move? One could assume that a softer urethane would degrade before a harder one. So with LS110 tracking his car hard and getting a lot of heat his mounts failed right away. With other cars maybe not as much heat so the mounts are ok, Justin has 2,000 miles on his. Steeda offers a full race all black (hard urethane) that I think is our best bet against melting and deforming during track days. Yes we will have some increased noise and vibrations but we are doing this for the track no? Also good point Justin on the stock boots being re used to help protect against heat.
This reminds me of a truth that is perplexing for those of us that want to track a car hard and still enjoy it on the street. The things that make a car awesome on the track make it miserable on the street and the things that make a car so nice on the street make it a sloppy track car. Yet some how I persist in thinking I can do both?

I talked to Don at Steeda this morning and he was very helpful. He owned the problem and said that for track application he should have recommended black bushings only and NOT to use the red. He is shipping me new bushings overnight, on his dime, so I have them before my next event on Wednesday. Very impressive that he stepped up like this!! So obviously that reinforces the previous posts to go with the black bushings if there is any intended track use.

My mechanic did get back to me and said the OEM rubber heat shields were reinstalled on the Steeda mounts, yet the red bushing still failed.

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
Thanks John.
I will call Steeda today too and get a set of black donuts from them too. I have the spare red donuts that I didn't use for back ups plus I guess I'll take my stock mounts with me to VA this weekend just in case. Hope I don't have to do a midnight thrash at the track, good thing I rented garage space.
Steve

LS110 said:
I talked to Don at Steeda this morning and he was very helpful. He owned the problem and said that for track application he should have recommended black bushings only and NOT to use the red. He is shipping me new bushings overnight, on his dime, so I have them before my next event on Wednesday. Very impressive that he stepped up like this!! So obviously that reinforces the previous posts to go with the black bushings if there is any intended track use.

My mechanic did get back to me and said the OEM rubber heat shields were reinstalled on the Steeda mounts, yet the red bushing still failed.
That's great to hear John. I'm glad they took care of you. I have the black bushings on my Prothane mounts so hopefully won't have the issue, but will definitely be keeping an eye on them. Good luck at BIR.

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but I'm ready to buy a set of motor mount and wanted to know how they are holding up after road racing abuse.

I'm looking at 2 set :

Steeda, more expensive but can adjust the height of the motor. How the black bushing are holding up?

or Prothane, cheaper but cannot adjust the height. Any problem with them?

I have been eyeing this set too
EVO-LSMM.jpg
http://www.evoperform.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=360_372_407&products_id=744

But I'm afraid that since there is no more dampening from the mount it will put the stress somewhere else and damage something.
Any input on that?

Thanks
Florian

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
Swiss Boss said:
Sorry to resurrect an old thread but I'm ready to buy a set of motor mount and wanted to know how they are holding up after road racing abuse.

I'm looking at 2 set :

Steeda, more expensive but can adjust the height of the motor. How the black bushing are holding up?

or Prothane, cheaper but cannot adjust the height. Any problem with them?

I have been eyeing this set too
EVO-LSMM.jpg
http://www.evoperform.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=360_372_407&products_id=744

But I'm afraid that since there is no more dampening from the mount it will put the stress somewhere else and damage something.
Any input on that?

Thanks
Florian
i have the blow by racing mounts. Adjustable height and have zero problems with mine running red/black bushings

TMO Supporting Vendors