The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Steeda RR K-member

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wolvee

Full Time Nerd
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Historic Triangle
Does anyone have the Steeda Road Race K-member on any of their S550 mustangs, either Track or street cars? Lighter and stiffer with more adjustment seems like all great features. My car is in a perpetual build state and since it's all torn apart anyway, I ordered one.

Seems like if you're under the car as much as I am, the amount of room you get would be reason enough if all else is equal or better. I'll post some pictures when I get and pull it. The weight difference seems to change from thread to thread reading about it online but Steeda says it's "about" 20%. That number gets a little confusing considering the weight values tend to change online by depending on the thread you find.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
Does anyone have the Steeda Road Race K-member on any of their S550 mustangs, either Track or street cars? Lighter and stiffer with more adjustment seems like all great features. My car is in a perpetual build state and since it's all torn apart anyway, I ordered one.

Seems like if you're under the car as much as I am, the amount of room you get would be reason enough if all else is equal or better. I'll post some pictures when I get and pull it. The weight difference seems to change from thread to thread reading about it online but Steeda says it's "about" 20%. That number gets a little confusing considering the weight values tend to change online by depending on the thread you find.

Will be interesting to see if it lives up to the hype.
In for updates.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
SoCal
No personal experience here but I have read most competitive guys advise against any aftermarket k member as they typically are not allowed in most amateur racing series or that they bump you into a "race" class rather than a street or modified class.

If this is for street use, do whatever floats your boat.

Hope this helps 👍

No personal experience here but I have read most competitive guys advise against any aftermarket k member as they typically are not allowed in most amateur racing series or that they bump you into a "race" class rather than a street or modified class.

If this is for street use, do whatever floats your boat.

Hope this helps 👍

... Because you have to "retain factory mounting points location" for the suspension?

TX
I’ve talked to two 350 guys running these. I know many experienced racers have horror stories with tubular k-members, but I haven’t seen a single issue with this one yet.

Wolvee

Full Time Nerd
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Historic Triangle
I got an email a couple weeks ago and said it's on backorer they'll send my an email when it ships. It was supposed to be 1-2 weeks so I'll be following up again soon.

Can't say with certainty but I would assume for that reason, yes. Check the rule book for the series you want to compete in.

Yes. In this case Steeda's not moved many mounting points to improve geometry substantially (think like moving a LCA point 1.5") so its less applicable, but in general usually when one makes a custom subframe they change its design/functionality substantially enough that it can put everyone without one at a significant disadvantage.

boardkat

CAMtard
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Lake Oswego, OR
i put one on last offseason and ran it all year without issue. inspected the welds mid-season, no cracks.

biggest benefit for me has been the space it freed up - no way i could have ran all the ducting and hoses with a factory k-member. here's a pic just after installation (sans plumbing):
IMG_3690.jpeg

fwiw, i'm using the revised (corrected) roll center and stock track width geometry, since i didn't want to increase track width (and added additional camber needed at the plates).

it does drop a bit of weight, too - but nothing like the classic muscle cars and their anchors:
IMG_3687.jpeg

IMG_3688.jpeg

you may run into issues if your engine is lowered substantially - mine is down 3/4" and the LTHs rubbed the rear brace (i spaced them down 1/4"). other than that, no issues, installation was painless and fit was perfect.

Wolvee

Full Time Nerd
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Historic Triangle
Thanks for the Pics @boardkat it seems that no matter how old I get I still want to see other people get the same stuff, lol.

This last year and a half was a complete bust so I decided to just start buying stuff for the car and the pile of projects are a bit over whelming right now. First world problems. :)

Wolvee

Full Time Nerd
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Historic Triangle
Every day I go out to the garage I think about getting rid of my stock parts but I can't do it. I'm 51/49% committed to keeping this car long term. I'm always on the verge to find the next car and I HATE selling cars private party. You get more cash but I hate dealing with tire kickers and joy riders.

I guess once I start cutting body panels up for hood vents that'll make up my mind for me. :)

Last edited:
Monaca Pa
Every day I go out to the garage I think about getting rid of my stock parts but I can't do it. I'm 51/49% committed to keeping this car long term. I'm always on the verge to find the next car and I HATE selling cars private party. You get more cash but I hate dealing with tire kickers and joy riders.

I guess once I start cutting body panels up for hood vents that'll make up my mind for me. :)
What’s taking you so long ? lol

Wolvee

Full Time Nerd
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Historic Triangle
The K-member will be here tomorrow. :) I guess that means I actually have to get off my butt and work on the money pit.

On the next car, I'm buying the most expensive version, leaving it stock and getting tires through Amazon Subscribe and Save. :p

Wolvee

Full Time Nerd
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Historic Triangle
I hate to post over and over again but I'm not making much progress, lol. Since I'm pulling the K-member, I'm thinking about doing the GT350 oilpan and HV pump, does anyone suggest the 18+ GT or the Canton over the Regular GT350 version? (Not the High dollar FS350 pan. i don't know the name of it, the gt350 race car.)

TMO Supporting Vendors