The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Steeda Sways- Adjustable

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Evening

I'm 1 day away from a 2 day double header at Grattan Raceway in Michigan and I need some tips on sway bar setting if your running adjustables.I have alot of horsepower into my car and last outing I have terrible understeer.Next item on my list was the sway bars.Question is where do I find the balance in the corner on a road course.Im an oval guy i track for fun but this weekend I want to see what the changes have done to the car.I have it setup stiff in the front about 75% and outback i have it slightly stiffer than stock but soft in terms of the bar is that a good setup?

15967556092615612089705046352674.jpg

15967556314621593773429559788294.jpg

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
So right now the front has 4 holes closes to the bar is stiffest setting i have hole 2
I would back that off a hole to start. See how that goes.
Its good practice to start in the middle of adjustments and then tune from there.
Stiffening the rear will surely loosen it up but if the front is too stiff you'll just make the rear too stiff to match.
The car may balance, but it could be slower over all if neither end is biting properly.
If you then get excessive body roll and its still under-steering then put the front bar back and then stiffen the rear.
Go too soft first then stiffen it up just enough.
The perfect setup is different for everybody so you have to do what feels right for you. Just don't do more than one thing at a time. Bring some tools to the track and run a different setting on each session. That's the best way to learn fast what works for you. I'm an s197 guy so my settings for the stick axle are different or I would share them with you.
There are some fast s550 guys here who might be willing to share their favorite settings with you.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
20+ Years
I would back that off a hole to start. See how that goes.
Its good practice to start in the middle of adjustments and then tune from there.
Stiffening the rear will surely loosen it up but if the front is too stiff you'll just make the rear too stiff to match.
The car may balance, but it could be slower over all if neither end is biting properly.
If you then get excessive body roll and its still under-steering then put the front bar back and then stiffen the rear.
Go too soft first then stiffen it up just enough.
The perfect setup is different for everybody so you have to do what feels right for you. Just don't do more than one thing at a time. Bring some tools to the track and run a different setting on each session. That's the best way to learn fast what works for you. I'm an s197 guy so my settings for the stick axle are different or I would share them with you.
There are some fast s550 guys here who might be willing to share their favorite settings with you.
Thank you.I have every tool necessary to do some adjustments so im prepared.Ill start out close to stock and adjust accordingly.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Thank you.I have every tool necessary to do some adjustments so im prepared.Ill start out close to stock and adjust accordingly.
Hopefully someone will chime in with their own settings, but short of that, this is how I personally would sort the car out.

good advice, I've seen guys go to the end that is unstuck and make all kinds of changes to stick it, then the car is so tight no one can drive it, sometimes it pays to go to the end that is stuck and loosen that end up.
Another old roundy rounder saying..
"slow cars always handle"

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Bulgaria
Probably to late to the party but if you run Steeda F and Rear bars the balanced setting according to Steeda is F on the 2nd hole from full soft and R on full soft. But it does depends on what other mods you have on the car.

TMO Supporting Vendors