The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

  • Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Steeda Wing

Hey guys. I was just wondering if anyone is using Steeda's 476 Wing? It looks like it might be a decent alternative to Tiger Racing's wing. Here is the link: http://www.steeda.com/store/steeda-ford-mustang-rear-wing.html
Any info would be appreciated.
SteedaWing_zps5391d0de.jpg
 

Sesshomurai

The current 302r uses this Steeda wing so it's definitely top notch.

I use an APR carbon fiber wing. It's taller than the steeda wing but smaller than the tiger g-stream wing and 1/3 the price.

Just for reference:
http://aprperformance.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=36&Itemid=44

Also, here is an APR downforce analysis:
http://www.aprperformance.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=183

You might be able to find similar for the Steeda wing. I'm sure it exists somewhere.
 
DGRacing said:
The current 302r uses this Steeda wing so it's definitely top notch.

Sorta. The wing shown is the updated version of the wing that the 302R uses. So, for an authentic look, the 05-09 Street Wing is the one you want. For a possible better fit, the one pictured is the way to go. It's my understanding that the 05-09 model requires shims or additional (though minor) bodywork to match the pedestals to the trunk profile of the newer cars.

I have the 05-09 wing, but have yet to mount it.
 

captdistraction

GrumpyRacer
1,785
1,327
Phoenix, Az
I'm looking to get a 05-09 wing as well. I just have to figure out how to patch the holes for my rear camera, and where to move the rear camera to. (I use the heck out of it).

here's a shot with the multimatic-sourced adapters for the pedestals:
302R-83.jpg


The wing looks great on these cars:
302R-46.jpg


302R-35.jpg
 

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Moderator
8,551
2,389
Arizona, USA
DGRacing said:
I use an APR carbon fiber wing. It's taller than the steeda wing but smaller than the tiger g-stream wing and 1/3 the price.

Just for reference:
http://aprperformance.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=36&Itemid=44

Also, here is an APR downforce analysis:
http://www.aprperformance.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=183

Here's another APR wing, stock on the Roush Trak Pak cars.

29699_636689626924_3851017_n.jpg


/photowhoring
 
Thanks guys for the responses. I like that APR wing but I dont think I'm that committed to making a race car just yet. I've pretty much narrowed it down to the KB Boss Plus or the Steeda, unless there is another similar that I dont know of. I think if I do the Steeda it will be the one made for the 10+. It just seems easier and I dont care if it looks like a 302R.
I emailed Steeda asking for any downforce data they have and if I will have to drill holes This is the response I got: "The holes do not match and when we removed the Boss wing some paint came with it! They must have had some adhesive on the pedestals.." I have usually had good luck with Steeda customer service but this was a pretty much worthless response.
I had a friend who just ordered the Boss Plus KB wing ask if they have any data on theirs and they dont. Apparently Paul was in the process of compiling it for them when he passed. So no data on that one either.
Darren, thanks for that link to the GTC-200 Data. I had no idea that wing would give so much downforce.
 

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Moderator
8,551
2,389
Arizona, USA
LindsayEOD said:
Thanks guys for the responses. I like that APR wing but I dont think I'm that committed to making a race car just yet. I've pretty much narrowed it down to the KB Boss Plus or the Steeda, unless there is another similar that I dont know of. I think if I do the Steeda it will be the one made for the 10+. It just seems easier and I dont care if it looks like a 302R.
I emailed Steeda asking for any downforce data they have and if I will have to drill holes This is the response I got: "The holes do not match and when we removed the Boss wing some paint came with it! They must have had some adhesive on the pedestals.." I have usually had good luck with Steeda customer service but this was a pretty much worthless response.
I had a friend who just ordered the Boss Plus KB wing ask if they have any data on theirs and they dont. Apparently Paul was in the process of compiling it for them when he passed. So no data on that one either.
Darren, thanks for that link to the GTC-200 Data. I had no idea that wing would give so much downforce.

If you change your mind and want to order the 302R wing, call Multimatic and they will be able to tell you all about it, I'm sure.
 

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Moderator
2,848
14
Connecticut
Am I reading this correctly, "FITS OVER THE EXISTING MOUNTING HOLES" ? If this is totally bolt on then I'm there... What about shoring up the trunk lid to handle additional downforces ??

AS-105929 Ford Mustang S197 2005-Up Mounting bases cover factory spoiler/wing holes. $865

AS-105929.jpg
 

Sesshomurai

PeteInCT said:
Am I reading this correctly, "FITS OVER THE EXISTING MOUNTING HOLES" ? If this is totally bolt on then I'm there... What about shoring up the trunk lid to handle additional downforces ??

AS-105929 Ford Mustang S197 2005-Up Mounting bases cover factory spoiler/wing holes. $865

AS-105929.jpg

Since I have this wing I'm about to try it on track for the first time mid-month. Right now I don't have any under trunk reinforcement but I have a carbon fiber trunk on the shelf I will be using later. My goal is to see how the wing affects the stock trunk, which I'm sure it will. I will share pictures of this experiment.

Also, I already spoke to my fabrication shop about building a "trunk cage" that can support the wing mounts and secure the lid. I will share pictures of that when I get there.

Pete, you paint that APR ring red, it would look sweet on your car.

@Lindsay, sorry to steer your thread off topic!
 

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Moderator
8,551
2,389
Arizona, USA
The stock trunk will not be affected with that APR wing. We have a couple guys out here that mount it directly to the trunk metal, and one that reinforced the mounting holes with a thin strip of steel on each side, but no "trunk cage" etc.
 
ArizonaGT said:
The stock trunk will not be affected with that APR wing. We have a couple guys out here that mount it directly to the trunk metal, and one that reinforced the mounting holes with a thin strip of steel on each side, but no "trunk cage" etc.
Good to $know$. Might be interested in going this route versus "all-in" on the 302S wing. Is the smaller wing on the 302R used simply due to class restrictions? If it works on the R and they're winning races, is there really that much benefit to something bigger?
 
PeteInCT said:
Am I reading this correctly, "FITS OVER THE EXISTING MOUNTING HOLES" ? If this is totally bolt on then I'm there... What about shoring up the trunk lid to handle additional downforces ??

AS-105929 Ford Mustang S197 2005-Up Mounting bases cover factory spoiler/wing holes. $865

AS-105929.jpg
Remember you'll have four holes you'll need to plug. The Tiger Racing intermediate spoiler might be a better alternative for a mostly track driven car and is a direct bolt on.
 

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Moderator
8,551
2,389
Arizona, USA
cloud9 said:
Good to $know$. Might be interested in going this route versus "all-in" on the 302S wing. Is the smaller wing on the 302R used simply due to class restrictions? If it works on the R and they're winning races, is there really that much benefit to something bigger?

I'm sure the guys running the 302Rs would like more wing, but that's all grand-am will allow them. Supposedly when the 500C came out the car was very aero-loose and the steeda wing was permitted, same situation with the 302Rs; they ran without them for a while but petitioned that it was needed for safety at the speeds seen on many tracks.

Grand Am GS is supposed to be run with stock aero / no additional aero.
 
PeteInCT said:
PS: I gotta get one of these before Gary....
You've got a little time. I need to get the wife back into the "mods" frame of mind........I think she likes winter without all the tire bills. Maybe after HER vacation in CA :-\
 
ArizonaGT said:
I'm sure the guys running the 302Rs would like more wing, but that's all grand-am will allow them. Supposedly when the 500C came out the car was very aero-loose and the steeda wing was permitted, same situation with the 302Rs; they ran without them for a while but petitioned that it was needed for safety at the speeds seen on many tracks.

Grand Am GS is supposed to be run with stock aero / no additional aero.

Good info. As you say, they aren't allowed to run front splitters in GS, so the smaller wing may balance the car as well as the splitter + big wing in World Challenge. For sure there is aero info on this wing. If Mark wanted to be super-awsome, he could slip us some numbers in a clever way. Something like, "We first tested the 302R with a 200 lb. crew member sitting on the trunk. At around 100 mph, this was perfect. But then we found out that we couldn't do that during races, so we had to go get a wing." And then he would add a sad face, just to make it look bona fide. Like this. :(
 

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
PeteInCT said:
Am I reading this correctly, "FITS OVER THE EXISTING MOUNTING HOLES" ? If this is totally bolt on then I'm there... What about shoring up the trunk lid to handle additional downforces ??

AS-105929 Ford Mustang S197 2005-Up Mounting bases cover factory spoiler/wing holes. $865

AS-105929.jpg

I thought it would fit the holes on the 05-09 spoiler, but that we'd need new holes on the '10+ cars.

I've been looking at this and the Steeda wing, and I've been leaning toward the APR. Just want to locate a used trunklid first.
 

Sesshomurai

Grant 302 said:
I thought it would fit the holes on the 05-09 spoiler, but that we'd need new holes on the '10+ cars.

I've been looking at this and the Steeda wing, and I've been leaning toward the APR. Just want to locate a used trunklid first.

The APR wing needs 4 holes, two on each rail base, which extends to the center of the trunk. The rear drill holes maybe could be re-used from the OEM spolier, but not sure. I had to drill 4 new holes and you have to use a conical drill bit to create a wider hole in the outer layer inside the truck lid, wide enough to get the washer & nut through to mount beneath the wing - with some silicone to keep it steady. Takes about 90 minutes.

As soon as I get my car back from the shop today I can post some pictures.
 

TMO Supporting Vendors

Top