The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Steeda X-Brace

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I installed the recently released Steeda X-Brace last week and must say I am very impressed. It is a high quality piece at a very good price and really firmed up and enhanced the overall feel of the car. The brace makes a remarkable difference in both straight line launches and out of the corners as well...could not be happier with this product. Anyone looking for a viable option to the pricier rear seat delete kit this may be just what you are looking for.

That is good to know. Can you please post the link to the one you installed? I have been eyeing the one they sell that allows rear seats to be used (I have an LS but sometimes think about installing back seats for the kids).

http://www.steeda.com/store/steeda-mustang-rear-chassis-xbrace-555-5093/

Champale....the link you posted was the X-Brace that I installed. You will be very impressed with the increased feel and performance of your LS after the install if you decide to pull the trigger on this set-up. Now finding a rear seat install for your LS...that my be a bit of a challenge as most people who did the rear seat delete more than likely want to keep their rear seats and belts for future collector and resale purposes. Of course I could be wrong....been none to happen!

Hey thank you for the quick reply! That sounds like a great product and I am going to keep my eyes open for some back seats. Thank you for finding something else for me to waste my time and money on!

BadPony said:
I installed the recently released Steeda X-Brace last week and must say I am very impressed. It is a high quality piece at a very good price and really firmed up and enhanced the overall feel of the car. The brace makes a remarkable difference in both straight line launches and out of the corners as well...could not be happier with this product. Anyone looking for a viable option to the pricier rear seat delete kit this may be just what you are looking for.

Veryyyyyyyyyy interesting.

What specific differences were noted in straight line launches and corner exits? What did the brace do to benefit these areas?
Not second guessing you by any means (incase it sounds like it)...but it's more for my education. What did this address, and which element was improved on corner exit? Sounds awesome for $200ish bucks if it does that!

Also interested in knowing how performance was increased after all of the negativity received by the LS brace, and how it didn't do much of anything in terms of performance.

I am by no means a chassis engineer but it only makes sense to me that if Ford went to the trouble of adding the front strut tower brace that adding a brace to the rear would give the same benefits....as they attempted to do in the LS....which seemed to me to be more of a visual piece than a functional piece...the Steeda X-Brace ties the shock towers together and distributes the loads more evenly across the chassis...of course that is just my opinion and will be debated here I'm sure. During straight line launches I no longer get the feeling of the rear end wanting to step out under 1-2 and 2-3 shifts under hard acceleration....the rear end seems to just squat and plant. As far as launching out of corners...just seems to me to plant much harder...hold a line much better and not to roll over as much as it once did...not that it rolled over that much in the first place...just seems to be less now...kind of like a much beefier and heavier sway bar.

As someone who has owned both a '12 Boss and now a '13 LS, I can state that there is a noticeable difference in rigidity between the cars. My friends who drove both of my cars immediately noticed it, too. The '13 structure definitely feels tighter, no question.

Does it improve lap times or 60ft times? Probably not. But if you value a stiff feel to your car, bracing obviously helps.

I have not been to the track since the install. Seat of the pants feel....or butt dyno gives the impression that it should decrease those times....although not earth shattering gains...at least in 60 ft times....track times TBD. Confidence and feel times...much improved.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
60ft times before and after would be great. im all about making my 60ft better. although I am doubting the brace would knock much time off of it if at all.

I think the majority of stiffness would be related to the LS specific roll bars and shock/struts. The only reason im bringing this up is because I wanted a brace at one point, but then after hearing the opinions of people who are tracking their cars, I was convinced that the brace did not offer much change.

I've cleaned up this thread and lets keep it on the topic of the Steeda brace.

For those who have forgotten Ford stated the LS X brace stiffened the rear of the car 10%. I tracked my Boss before and after installing the X brace and I could not tell any difference.

TMO Supporting Vendors