The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Steel pistons - rebuild Boss Brembo calipers

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

It's going to be a little before I can get a set of man brakes AP 5000, Brembo monoblock, Powerbrake, etc.

So, seems the main weakness apart from lack of mass, non stainless fasteners, needless dust boots, low temp piston seals, a356 cast aluminum caliper, and easily worn out bleeder screw are the ALUMINUM PISTONS!

can we replace em with some stainless ones? seems simple enough.

Yep. Did it this summer. A bit messy (brake fluid), but very strait forward rebuild. I put in high temp dust boot and RB Performance Brakes piston rebuild kit. New lines, rattle clips, pins and bleeder screws too. Peroni and Brake Assembly lube highly recommended.

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/How+to...ton+Calipers+with+RacingBrake+equipment/55330

Only street driven so far, but track season swings into high gear now for me, so I will put them to the test soon.

20180721_005801010_iOS_zpseiafqjvu.jpg
20180720_233120681_iOS_zpszlehliwi.jpg
20180720_232715310_iOS_zpstmwoi0sh.jpg

May I ask if you are already utilizing Titanium backing plates for your pads, and brake cooling?

No shims.. I bought a set from Girodisc a couple years ago and accidentally gave them away with some old parts I sold on Craigs. Was reading that they are spongy tho! Maybe both stainless pistons and the shims are the ticket.

Yep. Did it this summer. A bit messy (brake fluid), but very strait forward rebuild. I put in high temp dust boot and RB Performance Brakes piston rebuild kit. New lines, rattle clips, pins and bleeder screws too. Peroni and Brake Assembly lube highly recommended.

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/How+to+rebuild+&+upgrade+Brembo+4+Piston+Calipers+with+RacingBrake+equipment/55330

Only street driven so far, but track season swings into high gear now for me, so I will put them to the test soon.

20180721_005801010_iOS_zpseiafqjvu.jpg
20180720_233120681_iOS_zpszlehliwi.jpg
20180720_232715310_iOS_zpstmwoi0sh.jpg

Yes, that is exactly what I was looking for!! well done on the rebuild I looked on the RB site and saw 'Mustang GT Complete Front Rebuild Components - Two Calipers' and it looks like your kit but nothing about s197 or Brembo. Is that the one?

Did you ever try the ti shims?

Also need that fitting to make changing the fluid and bleeding a lot more friendly. My bleeder screw seemed almost seized in the caliper.

Yes, that is exactly what I was looking for!! well done on the rebuild I looked on the RB site and saw 'Mustang GT Complete Front Rebuild Components - Two Calipers' and it looks like your kit but nothing about s197 or Brembo. Is that the one?

Did you ever try the ti shims?

Also need that fitting to make changing the fluid and bleeding a lot more friendly. My bleeder screw seemed almost seized in the caliper.

THX. No Shims...I asked the Carbotech or G-LOC folks and they advised against it (can't recall why).

RB website is kinda confusing. Product Code: BF-41BSP is what you need for 4-piston Brembo's on the S197. I got the dust seal kit from Tim @ Optimum Performance. New bleeder screws where a no brainer since everything was apart and they are pretty cheap. I choose 'speed bleeders' (even though I have a Motive pressure bleeder). Jury is still out on the speed bleeders...

I find this arousing.

This made me LOL :)

Last edited:
Do the titanium shims also work? I have yet to see a real study showing data over time where they keep the fluid cooler and I have seen guys complain of a soft pedal from them. But if they help I don't care about the pedal feel that much.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel