The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Steve McQueen Documentry on Decades Channel

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
Have the Decades Channel on in the garage and they have an interesting documentary on Actor Steve McQueen. It has a segment on the making of his Billet film that featured the big car chase.

I noticed when McQueen layer on the throttle, his Mustang GT 390 had an open rear differential as it only laid down one rubber strip on the passenger side.

They mentioned that it took weeks to complete the chase scene. Interesting stuff.

Enjoy your weekend,
302 Hi Pro

302 Hi Pro said:
Have the Decades Channel on in the garage and they have an interesting documentary on Actor Steve McQueen. It has a segment on the making of his Billet film that featured the big car chase.

I noticed when McQueen layer on the throttle, his Mustang GT 390 had an open rear differential as it only laid down one rubber strip on the passenger side.

They mentioned that it took weeks to complete the chase scene. Interesting stuff.

Enjoy your weekend,
302 Hi Pro

Lol...weeks
I'm sure a few sets of tires also.
Would of loved to have been on the set for that filming.
Actors/Drivers like that are a rare breed. McQueen had some mighty big shoes to fill. One of the best cut short!!
Paul Walker was in the running but.....

It also took two Mustangs and several cameras setups. Read a story years ago from Bill Pullman, McQueens buddy & stunt driver (Bad guy driving the Charger) about all the repair work that had to do to keep the cars together. I know they lost an oil pan on one of the jumps and damage to front suspension mounts. I recall two things that surprised me, 1. The Charger actually held up better and 2. It was faster top end believe it or not. Big as they were they were not all that heavy and the 440 was a very strong motor.

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
It was stated that the chase scene took 6 weeks to complete. It was very interesting.

2HP

TMO Supporting Vendors