The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

steveespo new bullet for the 21 Car

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Timing at 23 deg??.... That seems really conservative. Bound to get a nice kick in HP with 3 degrees more. When I had a pain in the ass false knock that retarded three degrees, I lost 50 hp.

Timing at 23 deg??.... That seems really conservative. Bound to get a nice kick in HP with 3 degrees more. When I had a pain in the ass false knock that retarded three degrees, I lost 50 hp.
Again, pump gas. My timing is also limited. When we went above 23 degrees on pump gas the motor pulled timing and lost power. It made better power numbers with the limited timing. The motor is also rich on fuel - again to combat issues with pump gas.

I think if you lean it out an run more timing, it would pick up some power. But, you probably need to look to race fuel or E85.

To be honest, we really do not understand why my 5.2L made 45 more HP with similar timing and fuel. Part of the delta may be cam, intake, and throttle body differences. Adam suggested Steve try a Cobrajet intake with the VMP twin 69 throttle body. The CJ intake is still the best made.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
I forgot that was pump gas, 91? Whole hearted fan of the cobra Jet with the VMP TB. But you have to port the manifold as its truly hideous inside in stock form.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
I forgot that was pump gas, 91? Whole hearted fan of the cobra Jet with the VMP TB. But you have to port the manifold as its truly hideous inside in stock form.
Depends on where you live. California its 91 some of the other states 92 or 93.

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
Any updates ?
Car is showing 11.2 A/F ratio and 22 degrees timing. End of straight speeds indicate similar numbers to prior 470 WHP 5.0 with same intake. Some future mods to induction and retune are planned for after the season ends in August.

TX
Well the new rear main seal is in. I used the GT500/Predator seal, it is almost twice as deep as the stock Gen 3 seal and seems to be a different material than the Gen 3. It also costs 6 times as much at $90. Made sure to use 2012-Boss' installation tool the correct way this time and the install went without any drama. I did put a thin wipe of Ultra black RTV on the outside of the seal to ensure no leak at the retainer plate. Just finished filling the transmission and reconnecting the cooler hoses. Tomorrow the nose goes back on and she will be washed and polished for the start of the season at Mid Ohio in 1 1/2 weeks.View attachment 85488View attachment 85489
Hey Steve - ordering parts for my long block assembly (Voodoo block/heads being converted to CPC with GT500 crank and L&M Engine cams) and wondering about rear main seal. I believe I've used part GR3Z-6701-A in the past (OEM Voodoo seal). Any particular reason you switched to the 500 seal?

steveespo

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
Hey Steve - ordering parts for my long block assembly (Voodoo block/heads being converted to CPC with GT500 crank and L&M Engine cams) and wondering about rear main seal. I believe I've used part GR3Z-6701-A in the past (OEM Voodoo seal). Any particular reason you switched to the 500 seal?
I had a leak with the OEM Gen 3 seal, which was installer error. When I investigated the different seals I found that the Gt500 seal is much more substantial and is a different material than the Coyote or Voodoo seals. It is expensive though, $90. No issues with new seal. I highly recommend using the factory specified tool EXACTLY the way it is described in the manual.
Steve

TX
I had a leak with the OEM Gen 3 seal, which was installer error. When I investigated the different seals I found that the Gt500 seal is much more substantial and is a different material than the Coyote or Voodoo seals. It is expensive though, $90. No issues with new seal. I highly recommend using the factory specified tool EXACTLY the way it is described in the manual.
Steve
Got it. Thanks!

steveespo

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
Well as many of you have followed this build I am sad to report the very premature demise of this engine. Really disappointing considering the care and quality parts that were put into it. It was a disappointment on power, which in hindsight may have indicated a problem somewhere, but there were no issues with oil pressure, compression or leakdown. Right up to failure it ran well, making decent power, on par with the 5.0 that preceded it. Running similar or better mph numbers at Watkins Glen and Road America. He is the Epitaph . I will be going back to factory built longblocks.

Just so everyone understands, our observasions are the factory long blocks are just as if not more durable than custom builds, especially if you keep RPM to about 7,500, upgrade the oiling system, and replace valve springs every couple of years. You can also buy three Gen 3 long blocks for less than a single custom built engine.

If a Gen 1 long block had been an option for my car, I would have gone that route vs the 5.2L I built.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
Well as many of you have followed this build I am sad to report the very premature demise of this engine. Really disappointing considering the care and quality parts that were put into it. It was a disappointment on power, which in hindsight may have indicated a problem somewhere, but there were no issues with oil pressure, compression or leakdown. Right up to failure it ran well, making decent power, on par with the 5.0 that preceded it. Running similar or better mph numbers at Watkins Glen and Road America. He is the Epitaph . I will be going back to factory built longblocks.
That really sucks.

TX
Damn Steve - I felt that f bomb. Really feel for you.

Will be very curious to hear if you find out what caused the motor to let go

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel